The 200 MPH Dilemma

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
With the rolling start, 200 is possible in a stock car, Mark did it when they were promoting the car at Oshkosh I think it was.

What about the airport north of Detroit? That I thought was a BIG 12k one.

DBK must chuckle about all of this speculation, as he knows what is "up the sleeve" for rally V

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
waldo - cough, cough.......

lol.

Runway 21R/3L at Yuma is 13,000'. Runway 5/23 at Beaufort is 12,000'. Either would do the trick. Unfortunately I am not the base commander for either air station. I could build you a nice brief as to why they would be great locations.

Best Regards,
Waldo

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
lol.

Runway 21R/3L at Yuma is 13,000'. Runway 5/23 at Beaufort is 12,000'. Either would do the trick. Unfortunately I am not the base commander for either air station. I could build you a nice brief as to why they would be great locations.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Yuma air station, (which I presume is the one I know and love in Yuma, Arizona) would be attractive because it is near sea level (big hp gain for us guys who live and drive at high altitude) and quite hospitable in the winter. I've spent some great time in a long travel sand rail at the imperial sand dunes in the same locale and winter there is quite cool. What are the logistics of obtaining access to a military facility?

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I too have been working on something similar with DBK and would be more than interested to join you guys!!

I vote for somewhere in the low 70s :biggrin (texas was just TOO hot)

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
What about renting Talladega race track - you can carry 170 easy off turn 2 and hit 200 easy on the back straight. It does not cost too much to rent the track - the track comes with medical and rescue squad - no reason to over heat brakes.........

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Wowzer, it is amazing how two great minds can come up with such similar and yet brilliant ideas independently:wink

:thumbsup As you stated a stock car or a pulley and tune car will need more than a mile and a running start is a must.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Interesting suggestions! (Other than the dance with the fiery crash scenario).

Steve how fast can your GT go with the machine gun mount on the roof?:cheers

Kevin

Don't know.. the AIM 9 mounted on the drivers door keeps pulling me to the left. :lol

I did find out one interesting piece of trivia a few days ago. a broken down Barrett 416 WILL fit in a GT. :biggrin

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
What about renting Talladega race track - you can carry 170 easy off turn 2 and hit 200 easy on the back straight. It does not cost too much to rent the track - the track comes with medical and rescue squad - no reason to over heat brakes.........

Intriguing idea. Wonder how long the straight is and how much skill is required to carry that much speed out of turn 2.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I have been thinking the same thing, we need to find places to enjoy these cars at high speeds. Here in Georgia a new tough speeding law goes into effect tomorrow so it's only getting harder...

Let's form a group called the GT Fun Club :wink

Last edited:

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
not much skill, just turn a little to the left - with as much down-force as these cars have, it should not require much experience - but the track is rented - so take your time and work up to it - this track was built for these sorts of speeds

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
alg_nascar.jpg

:biggrin

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

I do not know why that was so funny:rofl.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
it is not funny if you are the driver. Taking any turns at speeds over 150 can be dangerous.

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
He did not just fly into the fence - he was hit by another car and that started him to fly - I would think anyone in a GT would be doing a solo run, or at least not running in traffic.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Sounds like a great time...........somewhere in the southwest hopefully!! I need to get over my fear of transporting my GT/ :lol