I believe he is doing a 1500+ hp build.

:eek

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
His nitrous must not be working.

Alternator failure + low voltage = Nitrous solenoids that won't open.

DW@A.R.T.

Mar 3, 2009
Just talked to David Weaver, the owner of ART now, who drove their Viper Twin Turbo to a 240.9 MPH on the last pass!!!! And the tranny broke at the 3/4 MILE so that was coasting across the line :biggrin

CONGRATS FOR THE FASTEST VIPER IN THE WORLD!!!

Going to have to blow the dust off the yellow car before the next mile run I think :biggrin

Hey bud, went over the data and a cell phone video and figured out it was hitting boost cut (total of 4 times) which killed the trans. I kept it on the wood because I knew it was hauling the mail. Initially we thought the trans coming apart was being picked up by knock sensors and pulled the motor back. Motec log shows positive .5 G's to negative .3 G's at each boost cut so we are certain that killed the trans. Needless to say, it was running 7MPH faster at the 4-5 shift than the previous 239 run and it lost a total of 6 MPH in 5th gear getting me the 240.9 pass. IF we had of remembered to move the boost cut up when we upped the boost it would have been an epic run! Here is the cell phone video but due to Shane talking while fliming you can only hear it boost cut twice. Just wanted to let you know since I misinformed you last night. DW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bq4Bof5x9w

Last edited:

tanner

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2011
That is hauling some serious ass, Weaver. Congrats on the run. Hope to see you tomorrow. I am going to try to get by the shop to drop a few more things off.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
1500 HP????? That's a big number to shoot for but we will see once it's all done. The motor will handle that for sure but it's making everything else work together that is tricky. Glad everyone was safe this weekend and hope to see everyone at the next event.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
1500 HP????? That's a big number to shoot for but we will see once it's all done. The motor will handle that for sure but it's making everything else work together that is tricky. Glad everyone was safe this weekend and hope to see everyone at the next event.

Hey, you're the one that said you wanted to compete with Ray. It'll take more than 1500.

I know what you mean about all the little different things needed to make big power. Been going through it myself for many months now and I'm not even aiming that high.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Here is ART's press on the run. Hopefully Ray and Todd will go at it in Beeville. Both guys are the best.

http://performancesupercar.com/texas-mile-recap-art-viper-fastest-car-of-the-weekend-new-record

Here is a video of the Corvette that went upside down mentioned in the above article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtPOI4hkCKA

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
Congrats!!! Actual video here....

[video=youtube;U34ZQkai8ZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34ZQkai8ZA[/video]

Last edited:

tanner

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2011
Made that look easy, which is hard to do. Those boost cuts looked pretty damn rough inside.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
heard the vette lost pressure in rear tires. Another high hp camaro had the same problem with the same tires. Mickey Thompson drag radials. I'm betting the outlaw those for big hp cars.

Most people are going towards the R6's. The ART Viper at 239 mph has R6's. hoosier told him to throw them away after 4 runs at those speeds. I have 25+ passes on my R6's at 217++.

I left the mile on Sat and took Pics of Lmr's tire failure to the Mickey Thompson race realatoins/ track support guy who was at the adrl race in Houston Raceway park as he is a good friend. I had called and told him about both the Vette and Lmr. Both cars had too wide of rims with out beedlocks for these tires. Also neither were running more than 20lbs of air pressure in the tire and last but not least the rims do not have that extra edge most rims do. There were more than one thing that lead to the tire coming off. But mainly the rims being to wide and not enough pressure to keep them seated. When the tires were growing the were leaking air allowing the tire to deflate and then the tires came off. The mickeys are not designed for over a 12'' wheel and I know for certain LMr's car had 13'' wheels on it. Lmr also had the same problem on the dyno 2 days before the mile and lost a set of tires on the dyno.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here is Hinson's post on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsIBbIPW9A&NR=1

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
I left the mile on Sat and took Pics of Lmr's tire failure to the Mickey Thompson race realatoins/ track support guy who was at the adrl race in Houston Raceway park as he is a good friend. I had called and told him about both the Vette and Lmr. Both cars had too wide of rims with out beedlocks for these tires. Also neither were running more than 20lbs of air pressure in the tire and last but not least the rims do not have that extra edge most rims do. There were more than one thing that lead to the tire coming off. But mainly the rims being to wide and not enough pressure to keep them seated. When the tires were growing the were leaking air allowing the tire to deflate and then the tires came off. The mickeys are not designed for over a 12'' wheel and I know for certain LMr's car had 13'' wheels on it. Lmr also had the same problem on the dyno 2 days before the mile and lost a set of tires on the dyno.

Thats exactly what I told the guy in the Camaro (who reminded me of a young Grizzly Adams:lol) and he told me that 20lbs was plenty of air in the tires. I tried to tell him that at those speeds the sidewalls suck in as the tire gets taller but he would have none of it. He is EXTREMELY lucky that both tires went at the same time! A friend told me that Richard was back in the hospital dealing with back injuries from last years Lambo accident. Anyone know if that's true?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Lmr also had the same problem on the dyno 2 days before the mile and lost a set of tires on the dyno.

Hmmm..... lost a set of tires on the dyno 2 days before..... maybe I'll strap in and drive the car up to 200MPH???? Are you kidding me??

Surely Darwin was trying his best to "up" the gene pool. Glad he didn't succeed.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
In defense of the LMR Camaro guys. They are BIG 1/4 guys and are learning mile racing. They are fairly smart so they will learn from this and be back and ready. I street race with these guys often and hang out with them, they are good people.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
In defense of the LMR Camaro guys. They are BIG 1/4 guys and are learning mile racing. They are fairly smart so they will learn from this and be back and ready. I street race with these guys often and hang out with them, they are good people.

X2 I know them very well also, very smart and driven in going fast and very big in the Ls1 world.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hmmm..... lost a set of tires on the dyno 2 days before..... maybe I'll strap in and drive the car up to 200MPH???? Are you kidding me??

Surely Darwin was trying his best to "up" the gene pool. Glad he didn't succeed.

Their dyno straps the rear end down to the chassis dyno and they thought it was a fluke deal. That's why they didn't stop and re think the problem as they thought the dyno caused the tires to spin on the dyno, lose air, deflate and come off.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I just heard you were in Dallas Dan. Sorry I missed you.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I just heard you were in Dallas Dan. Sorry I missed you.

No problem, I should of had Taylor call you. Your car looks good and cant wait to see the no's it makes. I think i'll be down for the mile in May, going to redyno my car on the 9th and see what it does with cnc'd heads and a set of blower cams. Try'n to get one of these billet cranked motors together too. Just got a lot going on with business for the next two months.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

Wow I wonder if the rim broke or if the tire went flat first? That was amazing and amazing he walked away. UNREAL.......

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
question. i am kind of new here and was wondering how often does the texas mile happen? i would like to go to one as a spectator. i was hoping that one would take place @ sept.