Takata airbag recall

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I called my local Ford dealership in Fort Myers. They have the parts in stock, and a dedicated mechanic that works on and is familiar with the GT's. I asked about them coming to the house to do the swap per the "Customer Satisfaction Program 14B09" and they said they would get back with me. Got a call within two hours and they made an appointment with me to meet at my residence to do the work. Great job Ford!!

Ernhardt Ford here in Chandler AZ originally said that they'd see about coming out to the house to do the replacement. Both myself and a friend are on the up list for the repair. three weeks ago we gave them a copy of the recall repair notice. they said they had to have that in order to order the part and that it would take 7 - 9 days to get the part. A week later we were told that the parts were in and to wait for a call. Today they called my friend and told him to schedule a time to bring his MUSTANG in for repair. He explained that it isn't a MUSTANG but rather a GT and they had no clue what that was. He asked about home visit and they said that they never do that because of liability concerns. It scares the hell out of me to take this car to a Ford dealer.

How do I get them to come out and do the replacement in my garage? CSB 14B09 does not say they will come to the house.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
How do I get them to come out and do the replacement in my garage? CSB 14B09 does not say they will come to the house.

I believe the letter for the home service stated an "option" to come out OR flat bed the car to the dealership.
My dealership said no way were they coming out, but they would be happy to truck it back and forth. I declined that option and have an appointment this Saturday morning where I can stay with it through the entire process.

Jeff

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Ernhardt Ford here in Chandler AZ originally said that they'd see about coming out to the house to do the replacement. Both myself and a friend are on the up list for the repair. three weeks ago we gave them a copy of the recall repair notice. they said they had to have that in order to order the part and that it would take 7 - 9 days to get the part. A week later we were told that the parts were in and to wait for a call. Today they called my friend and told him to schedule a time to bring his MUSTANG in for repair. He explained that it isn't a MUSTANG but rather a GT and they had no clue what that was. He asked about home visit and they said that they never do that because of liability concerns. It scares the hell out of me to take this car to a Ford dealer.

You can take the air bag assembly out yourself.
Have ford tech r & r the inflator.
Then put it back in your car ( in your garage)

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

I have been procrastinating my recall also because I'm nervous about the dealers here in the Scottsdale area. My only trustworthy Ford mechanic (Dexter) moved, so Ford in North Scottsdale has become less appealing. Has anyone had their airbag done in the area? Mine didn't say anything about coming to the house.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Ditto that sentiment.
Anybody get theirs done in Connecticut and happy about the service?

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I am finally having my cars drivers side airbag recall done tomorrow here in Charleston at Palmetto Ford. Very good friends with the owner Graham Eubank's and he has arranged for me to have a demo Mustang GT while they take care of my car - he still has two factory certified FGT techs on staff from 2005 so I'm in very very good hands nothing on the recall report for my car in reference to the passenger-side airbag - how did Ford determine who's passenger-side airbag gets serviced/recalled versus who's does not ?

acolvin

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2015
Ewa Beach, HI
While I can sympathize with all the problems stated herein, the issues in the Kingdom of Hawaii are times 10....

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's an update for the Phoenix area: I found great service at Peoria Ford. Be sure to contact Richard Madison directly at 623-523-6124 (office) or 623-221-5367 (cell) to schedule anything. He is head of their parts group and does aftermarket conversions etc. They have a separate performance vehicle area for service where they will let you pull the car in yourself and stay with your car during the service. They have a GT certified tech (for mechanical work, not body work). They replaced my driver's side inflator (15S21) last week but they do not have passenger side parts yet. Tell Richard that Mike (aka NavyVet) sent you :)

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You can take the air bag assembly out yourself.
Have ford tech r & r the inflator.
Then put it back in your car ( in your garage)

That seems like a good option. For those who have watched the dealer replacement procedure, was the battery disconnected before part removal?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Not on mine.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Having my driver's side done this Friday.
A bit scared of my local dealership touching my car, but they claim to have already done ' a few'.

Anything special to know or suggestions?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Having my driver's side done this Friday.
A bit scared of my local dealership touching my car, but they claim to have already done ' a few'.

Anything special to know or suggestions?

Driver's side is very quick and easy. The prongs on the caps that cover the two mounting bolts are fragile, but beyond that, nothing to be concerned about.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Driver's side is very quick and easy. The prongs on the caps that cover the two mounting bolts are fragile, but beyond that, nothing to be concerned about.

The covers on mine were broken after 2nd and final fix. Dealer had to order new ones and cl. aimed they were 100 dollars for 2 plastic caps but covered under recall. Just check before they reinstall them.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
That seems like a good option. For those who have watched the dealer replacement procedure, was the battery disconnected before part removal?

They disconnected the battery when mine was done last Saturday.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

I didn't watch, but that seems like a no brainer when dealing with an incendiary device connected to the cars electrical system.

I would suggest using Sterling McCall Ford, since the CEO is a GT owner, and they did his car as well as mine and many others.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I didn't watch, but that seems like a no brainer when dealing with an incendiary device connected to the cars electrical system.

I would suggest using Sterling McCall Ford, since the CEO is a GT owner, and they did his car as well as mine and many others.

They did mine, quick easy, and they didn't disconnect battery. They let me drive and stay with the car.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

The procedure does call for disconnecting the battery but as we who battle emissions know, that erases your system ready indicators which then have to be cleared by more driving. If that is a concern instead of disconnecting the battery remove the fuses.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
They didn't disconnect my battery neither for all 3 replacements. Two temps and one permanent replacement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Here's a tip,i had my driver side done done last weekend by my ford dealer and they disconnected the battery to do it.The tech then put the key in the ignition to turn the wheel so access to the bolts was easier.He did a good job not damaging anything and being very careful around the car.Only problem was he forgot to turn the key off and then connected the battery .I remember seeing the headlights click on when he reconnected and thought to myself oh boy there goes a gauge.Checked the gauges at the dealership and all seemed to be working.It wasn't until i was driving home that i realized my speedo was not working anymore.:bangAnd since i couldn't remember if it was working on the trip to the dealer in the morning and since i have already replaced the gas gauge and tach on the car over the last eight years i sucked it up and just bought a new speedo.So the long and short of it is make sure when they disconnect the battery the key is off upon reconnecting.

p.s. i also covered the door sills and the seats with blankets before i let them do the removal.it is a 10 minute process

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I am finally having my cars drivers side airbag recall done tomorrow here in Charleston at Palmetto Ford. Very good friends with the owner Graham Eubank's and he has arranged for me to have a demo Mustang GT while they take care of my car - he still has two factory certified FGT techs on staff from 2005 so I'm in very very good hands nothing on the recall report for my car in reference to the passenger-side airbag - how did Ford determine who's passenger-side airbag gets serviced/recalled versus who's does not ?

Drivers side airbag done / passenger side airbag on indefinite back-order! While I was there I had a dry-rotted hose replaced by the fuel rails and I had all the gauges pulled and GEN II AutoMeters installed - Great job Palmetto Ford!!!

SGB