Takata airbag recall

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I believe 14S28 was the interim passenger side recall which is what I just got done 2 weeks ago. 16S28 IS the second go around and would assume is the permanent fix??

I did not have a previous passenger side, so what you say makes some sense.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Just got passenger inflator 16S28 recall letter in the mail yesterday accompanied by this illustration:

FGT inflator illustration.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It is my understanding that 16S26 is the permanent fix that I referenced, as like the 1st go round on the drivers side, the parts are not yet available.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for sharing that article Tony. That is depressing. Perhaps the phrase, "permanent fix" might be too optimistic.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for sharing that article Tony. That is depressing. Perhaps the phrase, "permanent fix" might be too optimistic.

This whole process, industry wide, not just Ford, and to my thinking, less Ford than others, is smoke and mirrors and reminds me of The Wizard Of Oz "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I got the letter for the passenger side inflator recall 16S26 today. Parts are not currently available. They included this explanatory illustration

That illustration looks like it should be expanded to say act now and get a free toaster.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
image.jpgTaking my airbag in tomorrow for inflator replacement.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I
That illustration looks like it should be expanded to say act now and get a free toaster.

The image looks like my limited graphics capabilities. Take a pic on a digicam. Import into PowerPoint slide. Use primitive drawing tool to make a bubble caption. Add a few text boxes and resize image tk fit on page . Save as jpeg.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Had mine installed today at Galpin Ford

IMG_7176_zps8z1beef6.jpg

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Had my drivers side done on Wednesday. No problems at all.

Vince H.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
:biggrin
Had mine installed today at Galpin Ford

IMG_7176_zps8z1beef6.jpg

Good to hear Doc. How is your AC working?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
:thumbsup Grazie Mille KJRGT

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Both of mine got done last week. Still no word on passenger side

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Service Advisor said by December for passenger side

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Are both steering wheel and passenger side to be replaced?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, ALL cars! drivers side is a true final fix at this point. If you get a passenger side replacement now, it is only temporary. Will have to be replaced again with the real fix in the future. Someone suggested December ish. So Id guess maybe Q1 2017

Are both steering wheel and passenger side to be replaced?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Got my driver's side done today at Koons Ford in Sterling Va. Took 10 minutes or less. Funny thing, it was the second GT they did this morning! It seems that Brian Clark (owns a yellow one and lives in my neighborhood) also scheduled the replacement for the same morning. Ford probably shipped the two inflators in the same package, so we got our calls from the dealership Wednesday.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Had my driver-side done at Galpin FORD at 8am; out by 8:45am

Called ahead and spoke to Chris Longoria, Service Mgr.; told me to come 8am and mention his name and he'll make sure a GT Tech handles it.

They had 4 GTs in so everyone must be getting letters.

2nd time at Galpin and both times service was quick and professional; Galpin Motorsports / SHELBY showroom is across st and Galpin Club Aston too; by the time you have a complimentary coffee and walk-around, Chris calls you with car out front ready to go. Galpin policy is Srv. Mgr. can only drive GTs to service bay/delivery.

Recommend all LA guys get this quick job done.

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Service Advisor said by December for passenger side

The steering wheel is easy. I'm nervous about the passenger side job.