Takata airbag recall

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have driven many cars not equipped with airbags and I am thinking I would like mine disabled. Has anyone done this or know what is involved? Thanks.

There are 2 plastic discs on each side of the steering wheel that can be carefully pried out and they cover two (one each) small bolts. Remove the bolts and the center of the steering wheel comes loose. Lift it away from the wheel and un-plug the airbag. I would tape the wires and put everything back.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Disconnecting the battery first would be a good step first!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have driven many cars not equipped with airbags and I am thinking I would like mine disabled. Has anyone done this or know what is involved? Thanks.

That is probably a seriously bad idea... The older cars without air bags were wide open compared to the newer vehicles. The chances of something bad happening if the air bag deploys have to be weighed against the issues arising if the air bags need to deploy but don't. Check your vehicle at the Ford site. Chances are you also have a 14B09. It's an interim fix (you'll still eventually need 15S21) but at least you'll be protected.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Got recall notice today Front Driver side 15S21 15V-319. Called dealer and he said they just got 21 in yesterday. Not sure if they are good or not and was replaced earlier.

Got the same one today. Says in BOLD print, "This is a permanent repair for your vehicle and must be performed even if you had an airbag inflator previously replaced as an interim repair."

I wasn't aware they even came up with a 'permanent' fix to this problem??

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Received my recall 15D21 on drivers side today. Called my former dealership and was told they have the drivers side in and the passenger side ordered for my 2006 GT. Like most I want to make one service call. Service manager told me these are for a permanent fix on my GT. I would suggest if you get the letter call a dealer and get yours ordered for your GT and don't wait for inventory to build up because it won't . All are ordered for a specific serial number and car.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Received my recall 15D21 on drivers side today. Called my former dealership and was told they have the drivers side in and the passenger side ordered for my 2006 GT. Like most I want to make one service call. Service manager told me these are for a permanent fix on my GT. I would suggest if you get the letter call a dealer and get yours ordered for your GT and don't wait for inventory to build up because it won't . All are ordered for a specific serial number and car.

15D21, Tomy? Does that one specify driver AND passenger side? I don't want to have to go back for another recall if they decide my passenger side needs a replacement later.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
15D21. Is for only drivers side therefore I would have a dealer check your serial number to see if your passenger side is under another recall. They can check easily with your serial number.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
15D21. Is for only drivers side therefore I would have a dealer check your serial number to see if your passenger side is under another recall. They can check easily with your serial number.

I have 15S21 which specifies only the driver's side??

Regardless, I'll have them check for the passenger side when I make an appointment. Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I never received anything about a temp fix on mine... Still haven't received anything on my permanent fix... Patiently waiting

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My Sarasota dealer says he has driver and passenger inflators in stock.

Driver and passenger inflators are separate recalls.

Just received my 3rd recall letter:

1. July 2015, 15S21: Driver inflator/parts not available.
2. December 2015, 14S28: Passenger inflator/call dealer without delay and request service date.
3. May 2016, 15S21: Driver inflator/parts are now available.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Got my notification for the final airbag change today. Having it installed this Friday.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just called to have my recalls done and they said they do not have parts available for either and do not anticipate having them for a while.
How can Gary's dealer have both and mine tells me Ford doesn't even have the fix for it yet?? One of them has no idea what they're talking about.

Ford Corporate, please disseminate the correct info to your dealers about this problem. Very irritating....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I scheduled driver airbag replacement for next week. Have never heard that passenger side fix had become available. Dealership appeared uninterested in searching VIN to investigate. I called customer service in Detroit and had exceptional seervice rep call dealer and ensure that they WILL have parts to fix both airbags next week. If you can't get satisfaction from the dealer, call Detroit!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I'm scheduled for 8 am tomorrow drivers side only. I've seen the drivers side done before and not an issue but not sure what is involved on passenger side and any dash dismantle. Will wait to see what's involved before replacing passenger side and ALWAYS DRIVE.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Got both of mine replaced Monday at Autonation Ford in Mobile.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Drivers side done 10 minutes no passenger side bags at my dealer yet. Plastic cover cap to remove horn and airbag assembly had broken tab from removal none in stock should come in 3 days.

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I called my local Ford dealership in Fort Myers. They have the parts in stock, and a dedicated mechanic that works on and is familiar with the GT's. I asked about them coming to the house to do the swap per the "Customer Satisfaction Program 14B09" and they said they would get back with me. Got a call within two hours and they made an appointment with me to meet at my residence to do the work. Great job Ford!!

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Ford mechanic came to my house today and replaced the driver and passenger airbags. While the lower dash panel was off he allowed me to replace 3 of my switches that the LED quit working. Great experience and all from the comforts of home. He says " I wouldn't want to drive mine to the dealership if I didn't have to!!"

Interestly he commented that of all the hundreds of airbag parts he has installed, the worst looking ones are always on garage kept, climate controlled garages. Ten year old daily drivers do not look as bad. Notice on one of the pictures below how rusty the metal is on the crash guards behind the lower dash panel. Mine was much better than on other GT's he has seen. Maybe because the a/c does not get run often to dry out the interiors??

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I just got back from Texas. I called my dealer and asked about the recall. They told me not until fourth quarter 2016. I called Ford right away and they told me they are doing this by regions, so no replacement for me for a while.