Takata airbag recall

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got the letter for the passenger side inflator recall 16S26 today. Parts are not currently available. They included this explanatory illustration

Recall.jpg

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I got this letter today too. I had both airbags replaced about 2 months ago, does this mean I need to do it again or their recall department just hasn't caught up with the work that has been done:confused?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got this letter today too. I had both airbags replaced about 2 months ago, does this mean I need to do it again or their recall department just hasn't caught up with the work that has been done:confused?

Do you have the recall numbers that you had done before? I know that if you had 14B09 on the driver side you need to have 15S21 done as well. I'd bet the passenger was an interim as well.

This is all why I just let mine wait. I only want them cracking these areas open only once.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

I got the letter for 16S26 today. I JUST had both sides done as well about 2 weeks ago. 16S26 just came out, so yes, both of us have to do the passenger side again.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Me too. Will await parts for change out.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Seems like a good plan to wait it out.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Had both cars done this morning, driver side only. One car would had the passenger side done. My dealer not allow anyone but me and my son drive the cars to the stall and then out the stall. In and out in 25 minutes for both cars. Job well done but did not see any corrosion on either one. Must not be enough humidity in Louisiana to cause the fuss.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
While many of us have decided to "wait it out" for the final PASSENGER side 16S26 recall parts to be available, you might consider turning OFF that airbag which can be done with the key. Especially if you occasionally drive with kids in that seat. I think no airbag is preferrable to one potentially filled with shrapnel.

usmcfred

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Job well done but did not see any corrosion on either one. Must not be enough humidity in Louisiana to cause the fuss.

The absence or presence of superficial external corrosion on the can does not mean anything.

The effect of moisture on the propellant inside the can is the problem. Moisture chemically alters the propellant, causing it to explode rather than burn smoothly.

Kind of like detonation vs. normal combustion.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
The absence or presence of superficial external corrosion on the can does not mean anything.

The effect of moisture on the propellant inside the can is the problem. Moisture chemically alters the propellant, causing it to explode rather than burn smoothly.

Kind of like detonation vs. normal combustion.

It was a feeble attempt to be funny. :wink

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
The way I'm looking at it is I've got two brand new ones, they should be good until I take it in for the yearly service next spring..

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got the letter for 16S26 today. I JUST had both sides done as well about 2 weeks ago. 16S26 just came out, so yes, both of us have to do the passenger side again.

See post #448

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
See post #448

Yup, saw that Ajai, but not before I already got the passenger side done under the first recall:bang

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Sysco are you in SoCal

Yes, I'm in So Cal.

I received letters in both July 2015 and June 2016 for the Safety Recall Notice 15S21 / NHTSA 15V-319.

Invoice confirms Driver Side Airbag Inflator recall completed for 15S21 campaign only. I watched them do the remove and replace.

I had the work performed at Tuttle Click Ford on July 2, 2016. I am still awaiting the additional notice for the passenger side, and will have the additional work performed in as timely a manner as possible, once the passenger side part is available.

As my own personal decision, I currently have my passenger side airbag de-activated by the key switch as a potential precaution until the recall has been performed for the passenger side. (This is not a recommendation or suggestion for such action)

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
...and just received my passenger side airbag 16S26 recall notice in the mail today...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So I have been really confused about the air bag situation on our cars and the now 4x pages on this thread, so I did some asking. The driver side is all set, the current recall is a permanent fix. Anyone (like me) that had the drivers side replaced on an interim basis, will have to have it changed again. This is the current 15S21 recall. Again, this is the permanent repair for all cars.

Passenger side: All inflators, in all cars, regardless of their location, will eventually need to be replaced. What's happening now, is there is an interim repair that is on going, for the highest risk areas. This is similar to the process that occurred for the drivers side. When a permanent repair becomes available, the interim repairs will need to be replaced again, as well as the rest of the cars everywhere.

Here is a FAQ that I found that Ford put out on this situation.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...regarding-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls.html

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
So I have been really confused about the air bag situation on our cars and the now 4x pages on this thread, so I did some asking. The driver side is all set, the current recall is a permanent fix. Anyone (like me) that had the drivers side replaced on an interim basis, will have to have it changed again. This is the current 15S21 recall. Again, this is the permanent repair for all cars.

Passenger side: All inflators, in all cars, regardless of their location, will eventually need to be replaced. What's happening now, is there is an interim repair that is on going, for the highest risk areas. This is similar to the process that occurred for the drivers side. When a permanent repair becomes available, the interim repairs will need to be replaced again, as well as the rest of the cars everywhere.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...regarding-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls.html

Nicely done, Mr. B has a spot for you at Ford. ;-))

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Oh Geez, so at this stage of the game the passenger side 16S26 is just an interim? I'm going to do this only once period so if the passenger has to be done again, I'll just wait for the second passenger side round.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
(This is not a recommendation or suggestion for such action)

Ok I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm gonna guess you are an attorney....:facepalm:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Oh Geez, so at this stage of the game the passenger side 16S26 is just an interim? I'm going to do this only once period so if the passenger has to be done again, I'll just wait for the second passenger side round.

I believe 14S28 was the interim passenger side recall which is what I just got done 2 weeks ago. 16S28 IS the second go around and would assume is the permanent fix??