Tachometer Stopped Working

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
:bang I searched the threads and did not really see anything that may be causing the problem. Any idea from your past experience :confused

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I posted about a week ago....the guage works fine but the Tach needle fell off the pivot!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Billy, make sure battery is always charging when not in use, check ground strap to chassis.

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008
Had same problem: no chance to solve thru electric check. Had to buy a new one!!!

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
I posted about a week ago....the guage works fine but the Tach needle fell off the pivot!

The needle is on the guage, just not moving.:eek

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Yes it sounds like its your guage internals. My needle is hanging by a thread!:lol I can even see it is off center and hanging down about a 1/16 inch.

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
:eek Can it be repaired or is this a replacement job $$:ack

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
My tach just stopped working as well. I revved it up a bit and all of the sudden the tach stopped at 5,500 RPM and stayed there. Any help on this one? Or should I purchase a new tach? Sounds like you aren't the only one that this has happened too...

Thanks in advance,

Lance

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Tachometer not working

You can put it on a computer and send signale to simulate rpm to see if it is the gauge. I had a loose connector. Kevin at North Hollywood Speedometer can help a bunch. New from FoMoCo is 1250.00 plus installation so be sure to check it out thoroughly with someone knowledgable

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
Need help!!!!!!!!!

I took the GT to my Ford Dealer and had the Tach checked out. The technician is a friend who provided some idea and also called Ford Engineering on the issue.

He tells me the tach needs to be replaced:ack He goes to the parts counter and get a quote at retail: $2700 (part only) :eek their cost $1900. He as the service manager calling Ford to get some relief on the cost. My GT has 7,700 miles and the tach goes up!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had a tach go up on any car in my life.

I told the tech I would contact the service mgr to discuss but any thought ideas? Any used tachs available??

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I took the GT to my Ford Dealer and had the Tach checked out. The technician is a friend who provided some idea and also called Ford Engineering on the issue.

He tells me the tach needs to be replaced:ack He goes to the parts counter and get a quote at retail: $2700 (part only) :eek their cost $1900. He as the service manager calling Ford to get some relief on the cost. My GT has 7,700 miles and the tach goes up!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had a tach go up on any car in my life.

I told the tech I would contact the service mgr to discuss but any thought ideas? Any used tachs available??

Unfortunately I had the same news from as you... my car has 1300 miles on the odometer... and yes, I never had a tach die on me either. Bummer - we're in the same boat. Ready to buy 'em in bulk? :cheers

Lance

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
I am checking with a person at Ford tomorrow. I will keep you informed via this thread!

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I am checking with a person at Ford tomorrow. I will keep you informed via this thread!

Thanks, looking forward to it...

Lance

PS the thing that concerns me with purchasing another tach is it'll probably do it again after it's installed, so why bother?! Hopefully someone has a better solution...

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The needle is on the guage, just not moving.:eek

Got to push the START BUTTON to get the tach gauges to move! :biggrin

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
You are the Man Shelby!

I never thought of that :bang The only other option is a GTO Hood Tach :thumbsup:lol

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Well, I had the exact same problem last week at the rally...

tach lit up but needle wouldn't move... dead tach...

only thing I could do was replace it... 2700 bucks retail... :(

Does that make 4 of us in the last couple weeks??

Someone has to come up with an alternative (cost effective) for us... Bill??? :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am sure Freeflyer could build a replacement inside a stock shell. But you might also need to get a tach driver and run a new signal wire. The cost in the end for installation of the mods would be more than the cost of a stock gauge. But if it failed again it would be much easier and less costly to change the 2nd time around.

I know a little about this since I had to run connect a MSD tach driver to the ignition coils and run the wires up to the trunk area for the traction control system. The stock RPM signal is a CAN-Bus signal sent from the ECU to the gauge control module. I don't know of any off the shelf gauges that can connect to the stock tach gauge harness.

Update, I did find this http://www.maximatech.com/products/databus.

Last edited:

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Someone send me their bad tach and I'll see what failed. It's possible that I can repair them.
Michael

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Rumor has it that VDO instruments will work on the same signal.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Kevin at North Hollywood Speedometer can help with the Tachometer. He has the tools to disassemble the gauge and fix the loose pointer. More difficult if it is a movement problem BUT there are fixes for these problems for less than the 2700. plus labor. A word of caution:
If you remove the tach be sure to read ALL the posts about instrument cluster removal and use tons of blue tape.
Use a computer to send signals to the gauges to verify the faulty gauge before disassembly.