Tachometer Stopped Working

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Perhaps the solution to this problem is........don't ever put the car in storage - drive it at least every couple of weeks!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
This better not be a jinx thread......

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Every thing was working fine when I put it away. Leads me to believe that maybe the Battery tender is cooking guages? I'll report back after driving it today.

Shadowman, any theories on this?

Rick

I had one bad tender. The red light would stay on for days where in the past it would go off withing 48hrs. I checked the battery voltage and it was about 13.7 and the light was still red. I threw it in the trash and swapped it with another tender and things are back to normal.

This is a Tender Jr. that only puts out 750ma. IMHO this can't fry the gauges when the battery is connected. It's malfunction can only shorten the life of the battery.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GT35065 - was it the Deltran Battery Tender (Cooltech or other) or the one supplied from Ford with the car that you had plugged in?

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It is the Deltran Battery Tender, and it appears to be working properly. I have four of them, and have had pretty good luck with them. Had one go bad on another car (quit charging) and they replaced it promptly. I didn't get my car out yesterday, had a little rain. I plan on taking it out today to see if any thing changes. Confusing why the temp guage and tach would quit and all other guages are fine.

Rick

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Battery Tenders seem to fail a bit, google it; esp. if it not unplugged/to recycle light.

I would go with OEM or step up to Ctek.

The price of Tenders is deceiving, as its got a chance of costing you new battery, tow, guages.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It was my impression that the one that came with the car was not so hot. Great trickle charger but no on or off when battery is charged. I thought the Deltran was the better choice. I'll take a look at the Ctek. Not familiar with that one.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Battery Tenders seem to fail a bit, google it; esp. if it not unplugged/to recycle light.

I would go with OEM or step up to Ctek.

The price of Tenders is deceiving, as its got a chance of costing you new battery, tow, guages.

I've used battery tenders for years and have never had an issue. The have worked great for me on 6 or 7 cars that they are hooked up to.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Same here, Awsum.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The OEM one works fine; it came with a one pager that states it keeps the battery "topped up", and turns itself off

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13488&highlight=battery+charger&page=2

I have had it on 3 winters (Nov-April) and it starts on first push button. Even had first time in '06 when I had to use the key to get in (after not having it on for 2 mos) and it recharged the battery too.

The CTEK is provided in trunks of Ferraris, SLRs, Astons, BMW Z8. It has some higher level electronics and people rave about them.

Battery Tenders have many happy users....but the one failure is one failure too many. And your post is the 3-4 here alone. I dont think they are deffective, I just think the smart technology gets hung-up if you dont routinely plug and unplug them for the red/green light to cycle. Not sure if surges, or polarity or something its not protected from, hangs it up, put it happens. If you go months without an unplug/plug, it could be showing the false green light.

Last edited:

ShelbyStang

May 17, 2007
SoCal
My dad has an '05 GT, and the tach began failing a week ago. It went up in increments and then back down in increments. We tightened the connections on the battery and took it out for a drive. Tach was doing the same thing. Went up and down in increments and then the oil pressure gauge died. The tach is now stuck on 1k and oil pressure gauge shows no response. Any suggestions or help would be gladly accepted :). He doesnt want to have to buy a new tach.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Whats the history?

-Always/never driving it?

-Always/never have chager on?

-Which charger (OEM / Batt. Tend.)?

-Out of blue or starting/battery issues in past?

-How many miles driven this year?

ShelbyStang

May 17, 2007
SoCal
it has just over 11k miles on it. About 3k miles put on it this year and its driven at least once a week. The battery has never been charged. There have been no battery or starting issues. We have had issues with it stalling twice after filling the tank full, but no other problems. No issues with any of the gauges until a week ago.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would put it on the charger for a few days.

Check the reponse to the Tachometer thread today; ie, fuses, etc; pursue those steps if charger is no help.

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
Unbelievable! My oil pressure gauge now is stuck in the center at 50 and does not move. I recently put a new battery in and cleaned ground cable. Need to check fuses and the oil sending unit.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Unbelievable! My oil pressure gauge now is stuck in the center at 50 and does not move. I recently put a new battery in and cleaned ground cable. Need to check fuses and the oil sending unit.

Thou hast truely been blessed by the gauge gods. :frown

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Finally got mine out for a drive yesterday. Similar problem to ShelbyStang's dad's car. Could get tach to slowly climb above 3000, then slowly drop down to 2500. Not keeping up with engine RPM's at all. Turn car off and tach sits at around 2500. The strangest thing as mentioned before is my temp guage is stuck at 135 and never moves at all. Both these guages quit working properly at the same time after four months of storage. All other guages function normally. Neg. cable already cleaned, contact good, battery was float charged with Deltran during storage as mentioned before. Deltran is functioning normally. Battery seems fine, and is always kept on the Deltran.

Any body have any thoughts on other things to check before I have Ford check car? I have a decent GT tech at local Ford dealer. Hopefully Ford might offer some assistance since car only has 1800 miles on it. Sure seems to be happening to a number of cars.

Rick

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Finally got mine out for a drive yesterday. Similar problem to ShelbyStang's dad's car. Could get tach to slowly climb above 3000, then slowly drop down to 2500. Not keeping up with engine RPM's at all. Turn car off and tach sits at around 2500. The strangest thing as mentioned before is my temp guage is stuck at 135 and never moves at all. Both these guages quit working properly at the same time after four months of storage. All other guages function normally. Neg. cable already cleaned, contact good, battery was float charged with Deltran during storage as mentioned before. Deltran is functioning normally. Battery seems fine, and is always kept on the Deltran.

Any body have any thoughts on other things to check before I have Ford check car? I have a decent GT tech at local Ford dealer. Hopefully Ford might offer some assistance since car only has 1800 miles on it. Sure seems to be happening to a number of cars.

Rick

If all else checks out, the pblm COULD be that magical, mystical $5K gauge control box (whatever it's called) that has puked on a couple other member's GT's. :ack

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for pointing that out EP:frown Happy day after Thanksgiving to you too:bang: :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks for pointing that out EP:frown Happy day after Thanksgiving to you too:bang: :biggrin

Ya, I know. I 'figgered' that'd pbly make your day...:frown