Tachometer Stopped Working

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
Got the Tach in Hand

I called two places today to discuss repair. The one "http://www.mrwhizard.com/" asked if the unit could be disassemblied. The answer is no but I believe with the right tools the face could be removed. I am going to attempt over the next day or so. Once I have it apart, he wants me to call him and perform a movement on the dial to see if its the motor or just a loose dial. I had the Ford dealer perform the diagnostics and the reading is coming back good. So I believe its the dial that is loose. For $2700 I will take my chance at disassembly.

I will keep you informed. At this point, I have nothing to loose.:bang

Last edited:

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
I had the dealer test functions and obviously they said to replace the unit. I now have the unit and it is sealed by the outer shell of the tach. This can be removed but will require use of a thin screwdriver or knife. Since the back of the tach outer ring will be against the dash mount the minor disfigured metal can be pushed back into shape and will not be visible. Now be carefull you can remove by bending up and working about 2/3 away around the tach and the face will come off, do not touch the out ring so otherwise this part will show. I was instructed by Mr. Wizard (Tom) due two tests: (1) check the needle for tension by moving. (2) put the needle on about 3K and plug back into the dash connector, turn ignition on to bring gauges up. See if this resets to 0 (My unit did not but the gauge needle feel back with no tension :confused .

I talked to Tom and described results. Tach is being shipped today for evaluation and hopefully repair. I will keep you all informed.

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Tachometer toast

The tach looks like junk on the back. there is a special tool to remove and replace the ring. Kevin at North Hollywood Speedometer did it to mine. Couldn't tell either way. BTW he can repair it too. Much less than Ford Dealer.

Mike's GT

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2008
Toms River NJ
Hi Guys, I had my Dealer replace my tach after it died at only 1000 miles, i think its going to be a common problem. If Shelby remembers i called him, and told him that Ford had no replacements and had to commission the company who built them to make more replacement units. i waited 4 months for the tach to come in. Luckily i was under warranty.

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
The tach looks like junk on the back. there is a special tool to remove and replace the ring. Kevin at North Hollywood Speedometer did it to mine. Couldn't tell either way. BTW he can repair it too. Much less than Ford Dealer.

I agree with you about the back of the aluminum bezel. That section will be put back as best as possible and you will not see it. That part will be against the dash board and will not be noticible. If this saves me $2500 then I am :banana

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Does anyone know a company that can repair the tach in the North East?

Thanks,

Lance

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
Well I will know soon. I have sent mine to Mr. Wizard and this will be the test case :tap:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Wow... Looks like I made a great buy of two complete sets of gauges set in the the surround a few years back. Looks like I may need them in the future.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Well I will know soon. I have sent mine to Mr. Wizard and this will be the test case :tap:

Great, please keep me posted. Is anyone near the Carlisle, PA area that knows how to take out the tach? :biggrin It sounds like something an amateur shouldn't attempt, I'm much better at breaking things than fixing 'em. lol

Lance

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
WOW, I can't believe the price increase on this part:frown I just bought one this past June with a list price of $518 and I paid $389. #4G7Z-17360-AA

John

I hope someone figures something out as this is NUTS!!

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
WOW, I can't believe the price increase on this part:frown I just bought one this past June with a list price of $518 and I paid $389. #4G7Z-17360-AA

John

I hope someone figures something out as this is NUTS!!

I'll give you a big profit for your backup, say $10! :wink LOL - on a serious note, yes we do need to figure it out. It sounds like it can be repaired - that would be nice!

Lance

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great, please keep me posted. Is anyone near the Carlisle, PA area that knows how to take out the tach? :biggrin It sounds like something an amateur shouldn't attempt, I'm much better at breaking things than fixing 'em. lol

Lance

Lance, ship it to me in Seattle. I'll return it to you with out ANY guages!
I'll even use a new fine tooth blade in my Sawzall!:banana

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Lance, ship it to me in Seattle. I'll return it to you with out ANY guages!
I'll even use a new fine tooth blade in my Sawzall!:banana

Off she goes.... LOL

Lance

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
OK, Tach came back. There was a diode smoked. I reconnected the guage via connector and the tach jumped up but stayed at the position and did not return to zero when I turned key off? Friday I am going to have the dealer check with his instrumentation. This is rediculous

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I have never heard of gauge problems like this on any other car built in production...not even the low budget Ford Focus! Why did the Ford GT get garbage for gauges? I don't get it.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
OK, Tach came back. There was a diode smoked. I reconnected the guage via connector and the tach jumped up but stayed at the position and did not return to zero when I turned key off? Friday I am going to have the dealer check with his instrumentation. This is rediculous

Bummer, I was really hoping for better news from you. Please keep us posted on the outcome from the dealer. I'm still waiting to figure out what I'm going to do regarding my dead tach... lovely!?!

Cheers,

Lance

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Does Pollak make the tach? I think they make the speedo.
Has anyone tried contacting them? I did some on-line research and it seems
pollak is a division of stoneridge.

The best links I could find:
http://www.stoneridge.com/product/trans.aspx
http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/

Hope this helps

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The gauges were all made by Auto Meter. StoneRidge took care of the SJB. While the gauges may fail, I don't think Auto Meter is at fault.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I am looking at my spare tach and the label reads,POLLAK PN:273237-1, FORD PN:4G7Z-17255-AA assembled in Mexico

John

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oh joy, I just started my car after four months of storage in dehumidified Car Jacket with Battery Tender hooked up and fuel stabilizer. Drove a few miles and the tach is not working. Car has 1800 miles on it. This is just a wonderful problem, and I am betting many more of you are going to have it.
I'm going to put some more miles on it today and see if anything changes.

Already checked and cleaned ground connection. Odd thing is, it looks like the temp guage is not working either. Every thing was working fine when I put it away. Leads me to believe that maybe the Battery tender is cooking guages? I'll report back after driving it today.

Shadowman, any theories on this?

Rick