Tachometer failed today

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Gauge Failure

Based on the recent info regarding the Speedhut 12V inverter failure maybe the fault isn't in the OEM gauges but an electrical gremlin in the car itself?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks Guys, this Speedhut set up is new to me...Can I install just a speedhut tach in my FGT gauge set up? I see it says the Speedhut tach is a bit smaller?
I would say no, at least in as much as the GT tach isn't round and the Speedhut is a smaller and round gauge.

robert

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2008
It seems I've found a simple way to prevent instrument gauge failure on 2006 Ford GT

2006 Ford GT, original owner. 2 gauges got 'stuck' in the first 2000 miles. In the first year of operation the tach 'stuck' and was replaced and then, later the speedometer, both with OEM. I took a wild guess and thought it might have something to do with 'fatigue failure' from recurrent surge currents induced when the engine starts to crank prior to the instrument panel becoming saturated with current from the battery. So far the following starting technique has worked. I turn the key fully on and do not crank the engine until the gas gauge jumps up to 'full'. It takes a few seconds. I then crank the engine. Using this technique I have not had a 'gauge problem' in the last 9 years. Maybe it will work for you. If with this technique the OEM gauges hold up for several years, help spread the word. When I bring the car to the dealer for routine service, I tape a piece of paper over the start button with the aforementioned instructions so they will start it the same way. I hope this works for everyone.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<<<When I bring the car to the dealer for routine service, I tape a piece of paper over the start button with the aforementioned instructions so they will start it the same way. ......>>>>>>

That is a good idea, I will do something like this in the future.

I have been waiting to hit the start button for years and have not had a gauge failure on my watch (knock on wood).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
When I bring the car to the dealer for routine service, I tape a piece of paper over the start button with the aforementioned instructions so they will start it the same way.

Obviously, you have far more faith in service techs adhering to those instructions than I would have, Robert! :biggrin

But then, I've become an ole cynic anyway. There are darned few people I trust to do anything these days...and most of them I only trust because I must. :wink

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have a bad tach. Any updates to the OEM fix or is it an electrical issue not related to the gauges ( saw that posting for a fix) ? I have been searching the forum and have read almost every post on Speedhut gauges. Im probably going to buy a set but wanted to ask before I pull the trigger. So many options on design.

Has anyone tried to use the face of the OEM tach but the electronics from Speedhut tach? I like the unique look of the GT tach.

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
I have a bad tach. Any updates to the OEM fix or is it an electrical issue not related to the gauges ( saw that posting for a fix) ? I have been searching the forum and have read almost every post on Speedhut gauges. Im probably going to buy a set but wanted to ask before I pull the trigger. So many options on design.

Has anyone tried to use the face of the OEM tach but the electronics from Speedhut tach? I like the unique look of the GT tach.

Just ordered my kit ..here is the configuration....

https://goo.gl/photos/NaZXicsQQ3R4iBiL6

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOyGWrJGrxK9KwJ0MJsdzTeL3-IcuuBXUHAWXvN

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love the look of my Speedhut gauges. I went for a 240mph speedo.

Ed

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I installed a battery shut off switch. never had a bad gauge or a bad battery except for the once it was replaced about 5 years ago.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OP - we now have the capability to fix the OEM tachs and speedos. Prices and shipping logistics will be posted shortly....

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
OP - we now have the capability to fix the OEM tachs and speedos. Prices and shipping logistics will be posted shortly....
Fantastic

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

That is GREAT news!

What actually is the failure point on these gauges?

Thanks for doing this!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks for keeping us Ford GT owners on the road ...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

That's great Kendall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Just the big gauges or the others too? It would be nice to know the details (being a texhnoweenie).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There's a very viable, cost-effective solution for the smaller gauges offered by AutoMeter and they are exact replacements. "Fixing" the smaller gauges would cost more than buying these new from AutoMeter - so no sense in that.

The tach and speedo are each considerably more expensive and there is no "OEM" solution other than buying new which is possible but pricey.... and is susceptible to the same failure. We'll have more info soon - but a long or lifetime warranty is also in the cards.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Thanks Kendall -

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Kendall,

I'm on hold fixing the tachometer until we hear your solution. Look forward to the details soon.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It's crazy. My oldest GT, a 2005 purchased new in November of 2005 just had its second battery totally crap out on me this winter. While up in Ohio for one week, I replaced the the Optima battery and "voila", everything came back just fine. Never have had a problem with any of the gauges on any of my cars, with the exception of the fuel tank gauge on my 2006 yellow car that will show full when I fill up the tanks, stay there, then drop to one-half, then zero, basically three levels of measurement. So I just keep tabs on the odometer.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
There's a very viable, cost-effective solution for the smaller gauges offered by AutoMeter and they are exact replacements. "Fixing" the smaller gauges would cost more than buying these new from AutoMeter - so no sense in that.

The tach and speedo are each considerably more expensive and there is no "OEM" solution other than buying new which is possible but pricey.... and is susceptible to the same failure. We'll have more info soon - but a long or lifetime warranty is also in the cards.

Thats great news!I have one of each when u are ready.Joe