Tachometer failed today

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Today the tach failed. I had a new DieHard and always on battery tender. Needle non-responsive although it does jump to various positions once in a while. I think I will go the Speedhut route:

1). Any suggestions on Speedhut options?
2). Looking for a working OEM tach to put in the closet with the original gauges.
3). Any other thoughts?

What a PITA.

Thanks in Advance,

Craig

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'd just wait for the OEM replacements hopefully forthcoming by the end of the year. Long time to go without a tach, but if you want to stay OEM, I wouldn't spend the money on getting the Speedhuts if you're only going to switch them out when the fixed gauges are released.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd just wait for the OEM replacements hopefully forthcoming by the end of the year. Long time to go without a tach, but if you want to stay OEM, I wouldn't spend the money on getting the Speedhuts if you're only going to switch them out when the fixed gauges are released.

I agree about being patient if you can. I near had a heart attack today when I filled up with gas. Gauge only came up to 1/2. I turned the key off and on again and it came to full.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
How confident are you of this OEM fix? Wouldn't I have to replace all the gauges anyway. I have been following (and dreading) this on the forum and it seems as if the OEM fix is stalled out. Any info you might be able to share would be appreciated (by all).

Craig

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
How confident are you of this OEM fix? Wouldn't I have to replace all the gauges anyway. I have been following (and dreading) this on the forum and it seems as if the OEM fix is stalled out. Any info you might be able to share would be appreciated (by all).

Craig

There has never been any indication (at least not yet) that the gauges will take longer than the estimated 6 months to retool and reproduce them.

I went with Speedhut after two of my gauges croaked. I think that regardless of the Ford fix (which may or may not be satisfactory), Speedhut gauges are a great choice. The entire set of gauges from Speedhut costs significantly less than one new tachometer/speedo now, and who knows what Ford will charge for the "fix"? Even if they give everyone free replacements (doubt it), at worst you will have a set of gauges with great service support, inexpensive replacement costs, and dial faces as you like. With Speedhut you can work directly with the art department to design what you want, and it doesn't cost significantly more. Assuming the Ford fix 1) happens in six months or so, and 2) is reasonably priced, you can buy the Ford replacements and set them on the shelf until you want to install them - or sell them with the car as spares.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I sure wish in the absence of "the fix" which will understandably will take a while that the players here would shed some light on what they found. It might not only save some gauges in the meantime, but would help guys like this to make their decisions. What did they find that was causing the failures? And is it likely to happen to every gauge eventually? And is it battery related? Will broken gauges be repairable? Is there a systematic retro repair to the car that would prevent failures? Etc etc etc..... Some component failed, and I assume they know what it is and the answers to at least some of these questions....

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've had my GT tach-less for at least two years now. Have a new one in the box, but not going to install just to have it fail again. Another gauge failed at the same time, have that new in the box as well. I think speedhut route is a a great option but have been waiting since there seems to be something brewing. Ridiculous problem for an other wise fabulous car, but I still love mine and have no intentions of parting with it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Speedhut - better than OEM! I wish I did the change years ago!

Ed

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I agree Ed, but the bar was set pretty low with the OEM gauges : )

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I understand that for some there is no other option besides staying stock, but the Speedut tach with shift lights is one of my favorite mods.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Who are you going to trust to install your new improved Ford gauges? I think many don't trust local Ford dealerships to work on their GT's. If you do your own work the speedhut gauges allow a warm-up for the installation of the new Ford gauges. I think most people once they have the speedhuts won't see the need to wait for Ford.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have a friend a fellow forum member (Sinovac) who is very good at figuring out how to do stuff on these cars. He has offered his assistance should I go with speed hut or stock. He may have forgotten he offered, but now he will remember.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Rick, I'm happy to help any way I can. You should look into the Speedhut gauges from the GT Guys with the OEM finish bezels.

By the way, I'm still waiting for a ride in the Aston Martin!!!!!!

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I found out two nights ago that I'm a victim of Tach failure as well. Although I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, it sucks that there are no OEM fixes so far. I'm headed to Colorado for 5 weeks tomorrow, and the GT will be tucked away during that time. Perhaps some answers will appear so I can get it fixed when I return.

This forum rocks, however! I know I could come here and find some kindred souls (on this tach issue and others).

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It certainly seems to be a problem that is not going away.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
We have a tach? Where is it? My tach is - no radio, windows down, exhaust real loud! :)

specracer13

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Is there any reality to the OEM gauges being retooled? i have a bad oil pressure gauge and the gas gauge is sticking as well. i assume they will all go bad but don't wan to do any work until there is a solution. If there is no OEM fix in store, i guess i will go Speedhut, but can they make it look identical to the originals or is there a template that others are using? thanks!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks Guys, this Speedhut set up is new to me...Can I install just a speedhut tach in my FGT gauge set up? I see it says the Speedhut tach is a bit smaller?

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Boost gauge failed yesterday. Hope the OEM fix is coming this year.