Steep decline in FGT Values

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
All service was done by the local Ford dealership which I know very well. They attest to the level of maintenance and care provided by the current owner. Everything feels right about this car, I just want to make sure I'm not fixating over this particular GT.

P.S. My inlaws think I'm crazy for considering this purchase, so that makes me feel like I'm on the right track... ;)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I bought my car from a great guy, that while he wasn't the original owner, he was the owner of a Ford dealership. I flew out Rich Brooks (GT GUY), and had him do the PPI. He found that all 4 shocks were leaking, the A/C compressor and power steering pump were "seeping", and a few other small problems. The bad news, was that the seller wasn't willing to budge on price (I bought over 3 years ago), but he was willing to sell me all the parts I wanted, at his cost. I bought the car, used it for the first "summer" (as per Rich's suggestion), and then shipped it out to MI, for all the work to be done, plus a few "upgrades". That was over 3 years ago, and over 8,000 pretty much "trouble free" miles. I love the car, and really don't care what it's worth, as it's not for sale. When I'm gone, my wife will have it sold, and then I guess it'll matter!!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
How long you plan to keep the car is a factor that could be important to you when considering the relatively small percentage of a premium amortized over the years and that's only if the value declines. If values rise, all of this discussion about paying more for a certain condition, miles etc means nothing. I think an 11 year history of values on the GT answers that question. So, my advice is get the car that you want and never walk out into your garage and say "I wish I would have bought that other GT" these are wonderful works of art and machine and you will be thrilled. I promise you!

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Good stuff from Blue Moose.

Take with a grain of salt any claims that a car with miles is just like a car with no miles. These cars age like any other cars. But, in some ways, cars that are regularly exercised fare better than garage queens.

My car had 3K miles when I bought it in 2012. It just rolled over 27K. Problem free? No. The worst is 3rd oil pump. 2nd windshield (stress crack). Dash leather lifted beyond repair. Corroded steering wheel center cap. Corroded coil covers. Bad AC Schrader valves. Paint bubbling on the trunk lid and console. Broken clamshell top vent studs. Warped clamshell side vents and window side vents.

More issues than any other modern car I have owned. Also, by far, the greatest car I have ever owned.

I agree that you should look for a car with miles, unless depreciation doesn't matter to you. High or low miles, the car needs a PPI from someone who knows GTs. There are common cosmetic and mechanical issues that a GT expert is familiar with.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Great info guys, I knew I came to the right place! I'm going to contact Rich to set up a PPI. I think this car is a winner but want an experts opinion. My strategy is to buy, hold and enjoy!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What price range is this car in?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
290-320k

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I think that is too much premium for the color combo. That's up to you tho.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Tomy, is this the other one ?
"To my friend Camilo, Carroll Shelby"

Attachments

• 20161206_145839_resized-2_resized.jpg
    20161206_145839_resized-2_resized.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm at 43,000+ with just regular maintenance. I drive it regularly. Sorry, it's not for sale!

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA

The lower end of that range is about right for that car. For 15 K mile car in scarce colors, you could subtract 20K+

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Carroll told me he signed quite a few GT's in the engine compartment as that was easier for him to reach but only two on the dash in the inside of the car. He had a lot of trouble getting in and out of the GT and he became blind in his R. Eye due to macular degeneration. (Late night).

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
THamonGT

Macular Degeneration :)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Special K....
I would the buy the Midnight Blue , no stripe , local , known owner , friend's car for $300,000.00

andy (ajb)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
THamonGT

Here you go.......... Rally II Petersen Museum Los Angeles, August 3, 2007

IMG_0922_zpsw0c5xe3n.jpg

IMG_0919_zpsuk0upr4d.jpg

IMG_0920_zps8cizgbww.jpg

:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
mine is at 65XXX miles and other than a throw out bearing going bad and recently an ac compressor it has been trouble free.

If the going price of the salvage car is around 200K I wonder what the going value of cars over 40k miles would br, not that I would sell mine at this time just wondering what the market would pay for "high milage" but otherwise no story car

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Those pictures with Carroll were the first time he had any contact with the GT Forum members and Dave and I were the only two that knew he was going to make his appearance at dinner. He told me "I don't know if I will fit in with those people Tomy". He stayed long enough to have his picture taken with everyone who was there and on way down the escalator he told Sue and I " hell Tomy these are my kind of people". We all had a great night with Carroll and Cleo.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
He was VERY gracious with his time.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was glad to be there that night.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I had Carroll sign my sun visor in the 06 GT. He was very excited about doing so. What a great person he was