Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
So a duck walks into a bar....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A horse walks into a bar
Bartender says..."why the long face?"

Bada bing...I'll be appearing here all week. Don't forget to tip our wait staff.

As for the flaming FGT....leaky fuel rail meets headers. Soroush is correct...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
What happened?

it was a major build with twin turbos and upgraded fuel system but they neglected to put fire suppression system on the car and I think one of the fuel lines came apart needless to say a very sad day for him,

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Not interested in the debate of our FGT's value, and why it should be higher or low.... This simply to share info that I came across. Last Friday, RM auctions in Milano sold a 2005 blue GT with 4600 miles for 336k Euros.

Ed

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
...... every collector car goes through cycles, the time to buy is in the low end of the cycle. Second, yes GT prices are flat to down, so what, see my first point. Prices will fluctuate like any collector car. Enjoy the ride my friends.

I apologize in advance for causing a collective groan about this thread coming back to page 1. But as someone thrilled to be moving from years of reading and dreaming, to now being within just a couple of months til purchase, I trust you will understand my keen interest in learning about the current cycle.

Like all of you, I have been riveted by this car since I first learned of it. So I am not drawn to the market now because of any softening in prices, but I would most assuredly appreciate making a smart buy during a buyer's market.

I would like to ask about what sources of evidence of a down-cycle are there? Is there anywhere other than the Hagerty charts that I can read more about relevant data?

I've been watching the usual online ads pretty closely for over a year, and about the only observation I can make from that, is that it seems like most of the listings are the same ultra-low miles cars (not my target) with the same 300k +/- price, month after month.

Thanks for any tips.
Brian

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm not sure what data Hagerty uses, but the current values they show seem about right ($236k average). Your timing is good. Some will need to sell their previous gen GT to purchase the new car. Start a thread that you are a ready, cash buyer, describe exactly what you want and state your price range. As long as you are reasonable with your price range, you should get responses. You'll be surprised how many people would sell simply because you're making it a painless transaction.

After looking and waiting over two years to buy a used street configuration Kirkam Cobra, I changed strategies and did exactly the above on a Cobra forum. With less than a dozen or so of those cars produced up to that point in time, I was contacted by someone who had thought about selling for a long time, but did not want to deal with tire kickers. I asked him to send me a video and detailed pictures of the car. Afterwards, I flew to Oregon and drove the car. I bought it on the spot.

Don't hesitate when you find the car you want, even if it's a little more than you want to pay. Best of luck to you in your search. The car is definitely worth the effort.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What he said but don't dawdle or suffer from analysis paralysis. If the car in color and options you want shows up don't wait for the price to drop by leaps and bounds. There just aren't that many cars out there.

Also while some members may want to sell for the new one the timing of them over two years coupled with only 10% of the owners (maybe 20%) being here will not bring a flood of vehicles here and the rest on other places so widen your search.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What he said but don't dawdle or suffer from analysis paralysis. If the car in color and options you want shows up don't wait for the price to drop by leaps and bounds. There just aren't that many cars out there.

Also while some members may want to sell for the new one the timing of them over two years coupled with only 10% of the owners (maybe 20%) being here will not bring a flood of vehicles here and the rest on other places so widen your search.

Good luck!

:rolleyes

Considering over 10% of the total of GT ownership has read this thread alone in the last 60 days, I'd say your estimate is light.

users.jpg

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I have been following this thread closely and have similar thoughts to many about the Hagerty article. In fact, two cars (Porsche 911 & Mercedes SL) I own made the list as well.

Being in the market for a GT, I could use advice from others that have been in my position.

I plan to drive my GT about 200-300 miles per month and use (but not abuse) it.

My dilemma: I found a bone stock 2500 mile car that has been well documented and meticulously maintained by its original owner 20 miles from my house. The asking price is 75k higher than others listed on the internet. Planning to put 3000 miles a year on my GT tells me to buy a 10-15k mile car and leave the low mileage ones for the purists.

I am purchasing this car predominately for the enjoyment, but it would be foolish to say that I don't care about values in relation to condition, mileage and demand.

The current owner is a stand up guy that has been good friend and mentor. He understands my passion for the GT and would love to see the car stay local which makes the decision all the more difficult...

What should I do?

P.S. Ive been sleeping on it now for months and still am torn!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Buy a less expensive, higher mileage car. They are not worn out after 15,000 miles.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'll second what Sinovac said. FWIW, I would not hesitate at all buying a GT with >15,000 miles, PROVIDING:

1-good ownership and service history - not just service was done, but by whom

2-proper PPI done by a real GT expert (I can't think of more than 3-4 people that I'd trust on this).
Spend the $$ to have someone very knowledgeable inspect it. Whatever it costs, will be well worth it

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have 39,000 on mine and it still looks/feels/performs as new.
Mine is not for sale BUT I too wanted a "driver" and could not be more pleased with my decision.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'd buy a "driver." I feel bad about putting mileage on a low miles car.

In 2012 I bought a "high mileage" car with 13,000 miles on it (now double that) and I have never regretted it. I think there's a reason why cars like that don't come up for sale very often - they are drivers, and their owners enjoy them so much they rarely sell. By all means have an expert PPI done, too. The garage queens are easy to find because they are just "investments" that don't attract much loyalty from their owners ...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I also can't really say these cars age quickly. I have 30,000 miles on mine, and minus some minor squeaks I feel are a product of our abnormally harsh Michigan roads, the car is really tight. My seats, dash, steering wheel, etc are in really good shape. Realistically, with any other car, even 10,000 miles is a very low mileage.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Im at 45k and its no different than when it had 4k

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks guys,
It appears my thoughts are in line with yours. However, before I look elsewhere and knowing the full history of this car has me considering the "one in the hand" scenario. The owner and I are trying to put a "fair" price on the car. Would anyone be so kind as to guestimate what they feel a blue/stripe delete 2005 A+ , 2500 mile car to be worth? I do like the uniqueness of the color/options so I would be willing to pay a small premium for that.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks guys,
It appears my thoughts are in line with yours. However, before I look elsewhere and knowing the full history of this car has me considering the "one in the hand" scenario. The owner and I are trying to put a "fair" price on the car. Would anyone be so kind as to guestimate what they feel a blue/stripe delete 2005 A+ , 2500 mile car to be worth? I do like the uniqueness of the color/options so I would be willing to pay a small premium for that.

Rare color. I wouldn't feel comfortable guessing price, but will again reemphasize, regardless of low mileage, know service history (esp who did it) and get a proper PPI. A lot of expensive s--t can happen on these cars if someone does something stupid