Source for TRUNK lid gas struts?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The struts are readily available from Ford and not that expensive.... what's the big deal???

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have some rear spares still in the wrappings...anyone know approximate shelf life If they are not used?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Art, check your PM ("conversation?).

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I ordered from AutoNation Ford of White Bear Lake last month. Backorder fill date was June 6, then June 20, and now "a few weeks out."

Email received today:

Gary,

I contacted Ford. Currently, the ETA keeps getting pushed back. I tried to confirm an exact date and they wouldn't give one. The best i got from them was "a few weeks out". I have 2 more for another customer on order and they are stating the same... Ford GT parts have always been a nightmare to get a hold of.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Told the same thing. Also found out you have to provide a title and current registration to get them.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I use this work around. Get some 1/4 black fuel line. The thick rubber with the woven reinforced fabric. Measure the amount of exposed shaft on the gas strut with the clam fully open . It's about 4" . Cut the tubing slightly shorter. Cut two pieces of tubing that length . Slice the cut tubing length wise. With the clam fully open place the split rubber tubing on the shaft both sides. It will act as a stop. and keep the clam from closing. I use this when the struts get weak. I've also used this with good struts on a windy day to provide extra resistance to keep the clam from closing. When I get out to the shop I will snap a picture. This may sound complicated but they push on in seconds. I keep them in the pouch behind the seat so they are readily accessible..

Worked like a charm! Thank you- very clever solution!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
After being out of stock for several months, the trunk struts are now available. Email today:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
wow - long thread. I called Ian and Joe at Milliken Ford. said 'my struts were weak'.
They ordered new ones from Ford Motor Company. Took vehicle in for oil change.
Said to Joe and Ian...." do the oil and filter change and install the new gas struts and check out the vehicle. I will be in the waiting room reading and having a coffee. page me when complete."

andy (ajb)

Reactions: Ed Sims

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You were fortunate that the struts were in the parts system at that time. Not that struts are critical. But NOBODY could get struts for months. Unless a dealer happened to stock them, which would be very unusual.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Did you try Torrie?
Best.
Mark

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
To close this saga, and demonstrate how bad the supply system is getting, these struts were back ordered at the national level for at least several months.

They were finally restocked at Ford Customer Service Division, Livonia on July 17. Then, instead of shipping direct to me, they went to Autonation Ford White Bear Lake first (10 days in transit).

Manufacture date of the struts is 19th week of 2018. Explain that!

Note the shipping label contains some of my VIN (1621), indicating that the VIN is used at the top level of the supply system.

Just trying to give you all some insight on how things work today. How terribly inefficient.

Last edited:

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
This is from Jenny at SUSPA in USA. Front hood struts.

SUSPA Germany made them, it looks like yes.

Now if I can get them in which I would have to make sure I can and that they didn’t have a contract in place to only sell to Ford directly, they are pricy!

2 pieces = $210.00 each

Lead time is 10-12 weeks.

We bring them in to the US, inspect them to make sure they meet the specs, and then ship to you from the US location in MI.

Jenny

Let me know if you guys want to mass order them. text me at
321-698-3829.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
See here

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All,

We have contracted to have front and rear gas struts made for the GT and our intention is to get to a point where we have them in stock at all times. It's been a little bit of a rocky road getting to this objective due to; 1) The demand isn't easy to predict (but we're improving); 2) We are getting used to supply lead times coming from Germany, and; 3) The whole Covid-19 effect on delivery times.

Front Bonnet: We received and sold through 100 sets of front gas struts. They are a perfect fit and of very high quality. We have more due to arrive to us in ~two weeks.

Rear Clamshell: We are anticipating to have these in stock later this week. We have already ordered more supply and the additional inventory is expected to arrive with our second order of front struts in ~2 weeks.

I will update the main thread as soon as the Rears have arrived and we are able to ship.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Can’t wait for the rears!
The front ones are awesome!
Thanks

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Are they sold as singles or pairs?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
suggest you replace in pairs.... that way they will be closely matched

Reactions: twobjshelbys

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Replaced both front and rear easy and perfect fit. Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We have an ABUNDANCE of front & rear gas struts in stock! Admittedly, we had a rocky supply-issue start with a new manufacturer that we were working with, Made in Germany shipping times, COVID, etc. But, all of that has been overcome and we have a big supply on hand ready to ship.

Order rears HERE for $99 per PAIR

Order fronts HERE for $89 per PAIR

Reactions: roketman

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
We have an ABUNDANCE of front & rear gas struts in stock! Admittedly, we had a rocky supply-issue start with a new manufacturer that we were working with, Made in Germany shipping times, COVID, etc. But, all of that has been overcome and we have a big supply on hand ready to ship.

Order rears HERE for $99 per PAIR

Order fronts HERE for $89 per PAIR

Qty 1 is 1 strut, correct? Not 1 pair ... ?