Source for TRUNK lid gas struts?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
this will be a better option for you guys

my car doesnt need struts at the moment and I already have an extra pair set aside for when I do, however if I was in bind I would do what I have suggested here either find a new set that I can modify or just get the old ones rebuilt.
Thanks for the link!

Reactions: soroush

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
So, what’s the verdict? Did anybody find clamshell struts?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
To close this saga, and demonstrate how bad the supply system is getting, these struts were back ordered at the national level for at least several months.

They were finally restocked at Ford Customer Service Division, Livonia on July 17. Then, instead of shipping direct to me, they went to Autonation Ford White Bear Lake first (10 days in transit).

Manufacture date of the struts is 19th week of 2018. Explain that!

Note the shipping label contains some of my VIN (1621), indicating that the VIN is used at the top level of the supply system.

Just trying to give you all some insight on how things work today. How terribly inefficient.

Last edited:

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Dearborn Performance GT Parts

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't really see the need to rush out and buy something that doesn't work. You can always prop up the hatches until the struts become available again. Use the rubber hoses or a car hood prop rod like this. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...T2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276299877704&psc=1 No big deal.
Maaaaaaan.......that’s the LAST THING I would use to prop up the clamshell!!

Chances of damaging the clamshell would be pretty close to 100%.

Reactions: soroush

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
this will be a better option for you guys

my car doesnt need struts at the moment and I already have an extra pair set aside for when I do, however if I was in bind I would do what I have suggested here either find a new set that I can modify or just get the old ones rebuilt.
Fantastic find!! Thank you very much for sharing!!

Reactions: ClarkW and soroush

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The struts are readily available from Ford and not that expensive.... what's the big deal???

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Mine are dead. Out of gas. Trunk lid will not stay open.

The Ford part 4G7V-16C826-AA (or newer part 5G7Z-16C826-A) is discontinued, without a replacement part.

The nomenclature on the strut is:

Suspa Liftline TYP16-1 01612266A 200N 18/06

I have scoured all the suppliers I could find, including Suspa of course, and I cannot find a replacement. I found some on Amazon that were listed as fitting the GT as well as several other Fords, but they were too long, the tube was too wide and the ball ends were too big. Fail. Some listed on ebay for the GT are also too long.

Having spent hours searching with no joy, does anyone have a source for new struts? Or how to recharge old struts? Or some other work-around (besides a sawed off broom stick)?

Last edited:

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Check with Dearborn Performance. I just purchased some there.

Reactions: Xcentric

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did you try Tasca? They had both front and rear a few weeks ago.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Tasca does not stock any GT parts. They order them from the warehouse like every other dealer does. Their website lets you order parts that don't exist. Someone reported a few weeks ago that after waiting since February for Tasca to deliver his order, they told him the struts are discontinued. As are the clamshell struts.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
This is from Jenny at SUSPA in USA. Front hood struts.

SUSPA Germany made them, it looks like yes.

Now if I can get them in which I would have to make sure I can and that they didn’t have a contract in place to only sell to Ford directly, they are pricy!

2 pieces = $210.00 each

Lead time is 10-12 weeks.

We bring them in to the US, inspect them to make sure they meet the specs, and then ship to you from the US location in MI.

Jenny

Let me know if you guys want to mass order them. text me at
321-698-3829.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
See here

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All,

We have contracted to have front and rear gas struts made for the GT and our intention is to get to a point where we have them in stock at all times. It's been a little bit of a rocky road getting to this objective due to; 1) The demand isn't easy to predict (but we're improving); 2) We are getting used to supply lead times coming from Germany, and; 3) The whole Covid-19 effect on delivery times.

Front Bonnet: We received and sold through 100 sets of front gas struts. They are a perfect fit and of very high quality. We have more due to arrive to us in ~two weeks.

Rear Clamshell: We are anticipating to have these in stock later this week. We have already ordered more supply and the additional inventory is expected to arrive with our second order of front struts in ~2 weeks.

I will update the main thread as soon as the Rears have arrived and we are able to ship.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Can’t wait for the rears!
The front ones are awesome!
Thanks

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Are they sold as singles or pairs?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
suggest you replace in pairs.... that way they will be closely matched

Reactions: twobjshelbys

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Replaced both front and rear easy and perfect fit. Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We have an ABUNDANCE of front & rear gas struts in stock! Admittedly, we had a rocky supply-issue start with a new manufacturer that we were working with, Made in Germany shipping times, COVID, etc. But, all of that has been overcome and we have a big supply on hand ready to ship.

Order rears HERE for $99 per PAIR

Order fronts HERE for $89 per PAIR

Reactions: roketman

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
N Cent FL
We have an ABUNDANCE of front & rear gas struts in stock! Admittedly, we had a rocky supply-issue start with a new manufacturer that we were working with, Made in Germany shipping times, COVID, etc. But, all of that has been overcome and we have a big supply on hand ready to ship.

Order rears HERE for $99 per PAIR

Order fronts HERE for $89 per PAIR
Qty 1 is 1 strut, correct? Not 1 pair ... ?