Source for TRUNK lid gas struts?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The struts are readily available from Ford and not that expensive.... what's the big deal???

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have some rear spares still in the wrappings...anyone know approximate shelf life If they are not used?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Art, check your PM ("conversation?).

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I ordered from AutoNation Ford of White Bear Lake last month. Backorder fill date was June 6, then June 20, and now "a few weeks out."

Email received today:

Gary,

I contacted Ford. Currently, the ETA keeps getting pushed back. I tried to confirm an exact date and they wouldn't give one. The best i got from them was "a few weeks out". I have 2 more for another customer on order and they are stating the same... Ford GT parts have always been a nightmare to get a hold of.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Told the same thing. Also found out you have to provide a title and current registration to get them.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I use this work around. Get some 1/4 black fuel line. The thick rubber with the woven reinforced fabric. Measure the amount of exposed shaft on the gas strut with the clam fully open . It's about 4" . Cut the tubing slightly shorter. Cut two pieces of tubing that length . Slice the cut tubing length wise. With the clam fully open place the split rubber tubing on the shaft both sides. It will act as a stop. and keep the clam from closing. I use this when the struts get weak. I've also used this with good struts on a windy day to provide extra resistance to keep the clam from closing. When I get out to the shop I will snap a picture. This may sound complicated but they push on in seconds. I keep them in the pouch behind the seat so they are readily accessible..
Worked like a charm! Thank you- very clever solution!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
After being out of stock for several months, the trunk struts are now available. Email today:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
wow - long thread. I called Ian and Joe at Milliken Ford. said 'my struts were weak'.
They ordered new ones from Ford Motor Company. Took vehicle in for oil change.
Said to Joe and Ian...." do the oil and filter change and install the new gas struts and check out the vehicle. I will be in the waiting room reading and having a coffee. page me when complete."

andy (ajb)

Reactions: Ed Sims

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You were fortunate that the struts were in the parts system at that time. Not that struts are critical. But NOBODY could get struts for months. Unless a dealer happened to stock them, which would be very unusual.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Did you try Torrie?
Best.
Mark

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
To close this saga, and demonstrate how bad the supply system is getting, these struts were back ordered at the national level for at least several months.

They were finally restocked at Ford Customer Service Division, Livonia on July 17. Then, instead of shipping direct to me, they went to Autonation Ford White Bear Lake first (10 days in transit).

Manufacture date of the struts is 19th week of 2018. Explain that!

Note the shipping label contains some of my VIN (1621), indicating that the VIN is used at the top level of the supply system.

Just trying to give you all some insight on how things work today. How terribly inefficient.

Last edited: