Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks Bill. If you change the oil yourself, please measure how many liters come out if you can.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
A question to our colleagues “ in the know”. Since our GTs (both 05-06 and NFGTs) are dry dumps. The dipsticks is measuring oil in the reservoir, not the oil pan directly, correct? as long as the level is b/n the marks, should we not be fine?!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The 05-05 GTs take 9.5 quarts after an oil and filter change. To check the oil level, the car should be warm and then you should check the dipstick as soon as possible after shutdown, but less than 1 minute.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Based on my trial and error, 11.5 liters is the magic number. That fill capacity gets me exactly the same dipstick measurements that Bill posted.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That's close to what the much maligned Motorcraft chart says. 11.6 qts.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
A question to our colleagues “ in the know”. Since our GTs (both 05-06 and NFGTs) are dry dumps. The dipsticks is measuring oil in the reservoir, not the oil pan directly, correct? as long as the level is b/n the marks, should we not be fine?!
Gene, to answer your question, you are correct. In a dry sump lubrication system one of the objectives is to get the rotating crank away from parasitic losses of churning thru puddles of oil. That robs engine output power. So a dry sump system places a shallow pan under the crank to provide a catch-pan for the oil and it is quickly sucked (scavenged) away from the crank and pumped into an external reservoir tank. The oil in the tank can then be routed to an air or coolant heat exchanger to remove heat and routed to the pressure side of the dry sump pump to be pumped to various engine parts. There are other attributes to a dry sump system beyond the scope of this post.

When you measure the oil of a dry sump equipped engine you are measuring the oil level in the external tank and not in the engine catch pan. Be mindful of various time constraints as mentioned above by Kendall on how quickly you must check the dip stick to obtain an accurate reading. If the level is between the min/max marks within the time limit recommended, you are good!

Reactions: Gene Cassone

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
To complement Biil's post, traditionally the two major advantages of a dry sump is that you can place the substantial weight of the motor lower in the vehicle to improve (lower) the CG and, simultaneously, you can more easily insure continuous lubrication in high lateral G (cornering) situations.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I have had a few customers call and say the same thing......only used 12 l of oil on an oil change....all the ones I have done have taken 13 plus. A question for you guy.....I know it's not in the shop manual but are you warming the car up before an oil and filter change ?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Only done one change on mine so far (second one is imminent) but it took over 13L. Wonder why people are getting differing numbers?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have had a few customers call and say the same thing......only used 12 l of oil on an oil change....all the ones I have done have taken 13 plus. A question for you guy.....I know it's not in the shop manual but are you warming the car up before an oil and filter change ?

Yes in my case. Weird.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Yes in my case. Weird.

Now that I think about it all the cars that I have serviced were early 2017 MY. I will look into it when I return from vacation. They may have made a change possibly on oil capacity in the new model years.

Reactions: Ed Sims

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The Motorcraft Oil Filter chart has been updated.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/oilchartCA.pdf

Be sure to read note 8 at the bottom. Alternatively, definitely do NOT read it and do whatever the opposite of what you suspect it might say is.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Thank you DBK and the members of this forum for finding the error in the motorcraft chart, the correction has now been made. Keep up the good work and as always if you have any questions feel free to call and ask.

Reactions: Ed Sims

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's good to have such definitive information - thanks to champion the correction Dave. Now that we know that that requisite oil filter is single-sourced, per my Post #53 in this thread, either Ford has applied for and received a waiver (pursuant to section 102(c) ), or, by law, they are obliged to provide the oil filter free of charge to owners.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
3 filters for the GT350?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Ok now that I am back from vacation i made a call to the Ford GT people and inquired about the discrepancy of oil refill differance between one owner to another, so the question I have for some of you guys is where are you getting your oil from ? I read that sinovac was possible getting his oil from the UK ? also what are you using to measure the oil being replaced in your cars ?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I did everything in liters, but then converted to shekels, so perhaps that’s the problem.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I did everything in liters, but then converted to shekels, so perhaps that’s the problem.

One of the questions The Ford GT people asked was the capacity of the jugs being purchased because US quart and a UK quart are not the same so that maybe were the missing liter is from. This is why I was asking.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
One of the questions The Ford GT people asked was the capacity of the jugs being purchased because US quart and a UK quart are not the same so that maybe were the missing liter is from. This is why I was asking.

It's really only a very simple question (or two).

1. With an oil and filter change - and presuming that Ford's recommended procedure to pre-fill the oil filter is followed, what volume of oil should then be added? (Answer can be in whatever units you want - easy enough to do the conversion.)

2. For grins, does For recommend checking the oil level with the dip stick fully threaded in place or just just at the beginning of the threads?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

All my measurements were in liters.

Reactions: italianjoe