Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Not to be a jerk, but the GT does not have a flat plane crankshaft. That is a fact.
[/QUOTE

NO YOUR CORRECT ITS NOT LIKE THE FLAT PLANE CRANK LIKE WE ARE USE TO SEEING IN V8 AND V12 BUT ITS ALSO NOT A GROSS PLANE EITHER ITS A MODIFIED VERSION FOR A V6.....I WISH I COULD SHOW YOU THE DIFFERANCE IN CYLINDER ORIENTATION OF THE NORMAL ECOBOOST 3.5 AND THE FORD GT 3.5 MAY HELP TO UNDERSTAND.

Reactions: Ed Sims

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Joe - I too struggle with what you are trying to convey. The engine 3.5L 60-degree engine block is the same as the F150. So is the bore and stroke (and firing order?) Therefore, having trouble to understand what you mean by "cylinder orientation" is different. If all of these things are the same - block, bore, stroke, etc.... doesn't the crank configuration HAVE to be the same? No doubt the crank has been strengthened to deal with the add'l HP/TQ, but I don't see how it can be fundamentally different. Just trying to understand what you are saying.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So, has anyone found a domestic source for the oil besides the dealers??? Lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
following unique content, CRANKSHAFT, VISCOUS CRANKSHAFT DAMPER ? I CAN SEE HOW IT SHARES 60% OF ITS INTERNAL PARTS WITH A RAPTOR 3.5.......

Italianjoe, we appreciate the detailed differences in the NFGT V6 which you have listed above. And as Kendall states it is a pretty special V6 engine.

As Paul also states, I too do not want to be a jerk about this topic, but the above listed V6 attributes do NOT state the engine has a flat plane crankshaft.

The 3.5L V6 crankshaft used in our cars may be "unique" relative to other Ford 3.5L V6 engines (perhaps shotpeened crank surfaces for fatigue resistance, or different crank throw cheeks for higher rpm capability, or a different bolt pattern to mate with the dual-clutch transmission input shaft, or different snout to mate with the viscus crankshaft damper, etc.) but it does not state in your list that the crankshaft is a flat plane architecture which it simply is not.

Thanks again for your continued participation!:)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Paul, back on topic, good for you! I plan to use the Motorcraft 5W-50 oil which is easily sourced.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Paul, back on topic, good for you! I plan to use the Motorcraft 5W-50 oil which is easily sourced.

Thanks Bill. I ordered the expensive stuff from the UK. We’ll see if I actually get it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I just wished I could take my NGT to have Joe work on it at Milliken.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

It has been discontinued due to poor sales.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It has been discontinued due to poor sales.
😂

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Hello all, sorry about the delay in response I have been a little busy to say the least, first thing......Sorry Sinovac feels like I have hijacked your thread, I did not mean to. however I did ask "Ford" gt people for an alternative oil for the new ford gt and their response was..........if the Castrol Edge® Supercar SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor oil is not available then the motorcraft 5w-50 wss-m2c931-c would be a suitable replacemnet ! ?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Joe - I too struggle with what you are trying to convey. The engine 3.5L 60-degree engine block is the same as the F150. So is the bore and stroke (and firing order?) Therefore, having trouble to understand what you mean by "cylinder orientation" is different. If all of these things are the same - block, bore, stroke, etc.... doesn't the crank configuration HAVE to be the same? No doubt the crank has been strengthened to deal with the add'l HP/TQ, but I don't see how it can be fundamentally different. Just trying to understand what you are saying.

nota4re, sorry that was a typo by me what I was trying to type (I should have prof read before posting) piston in cylinder orientation, and yes I referring to compression ratio.
Specifications - Raptor

Engine

Item​
Specification​
Displacement
3.5L Ecoboost (214 CID)​
No. of cylinders
6​
Bore/stroke
92.5/86.7 mm (3.641/3.413 in)​
Firing order
1-4-2-5-3-6​
Spark plug
12405​
Spark plug gap
0.75 mm​
Compression ratio
10.0:1​
Engine weight (without accessory drive components)
416.7 lb (189.01 kg)​

303-01 Engine
2017 Ford GT
Specifications
Specifications

Engine

Item​
Specification​
Displacement
3.5L Ecoboost (214 CID)​
No. of cylinders
6​
Bore/stroke
92.51/86.7 mm (3.413/3.642 in)​
Firing order
1-4-2-5-3-6​
Spark plug
12405 - Motorcraft SP-542​
Spark plug gap
0.8 mm (0.031 in)​
Compression ratio
9.0:1​
433.0 lb (196.4 kg)

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
nota4re, sorry that was a typo by me what I was trying to type (I should have prof read before posting) piston in cylinder orientation, and yes I referring to compression ratio.
Specifications - Raptor

Engine

Item​
Specification​
Displacement
3.5L Ecoboost (214 CID)​
No. of cylinders
6​
Bore/stroke
92.5/86.7 mm (3.641/3.413 in)​
Firing order
1-4-2-5-3-6​
Spark plug
12405​
Spark plug gap
0.75 mm​
Compression ratio
10.0:1​
416.7 lb (189.01 kg)​

303-01 Engine
2017 Ford GT
Specifications
Specifications

Engine

Item​
Specification​
Displacement
3.5L Ecoboost (214 CID)​
No. of cylinders
6​
Bore/stroke
92.51/86.7 mm (3.413/3.642 in)​
Firing order
1-4-2-5-3-6​
Spark plug
12405 - Motorcraft SP-542​
Spark plug gap
0.8 mm (0.031 in)​
Compression ratio
9.0:1​
433.0 lb (196.4 kg)

so the question is why would you have a lower compression ratio engine on a high performance engine? why the change in crankshaft ? and why do you need crankshaft dampers ? I will leave you all to discuss that and I will be standing by and reading......This one will make you think...…...enjoy

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
so the question is why would you have a lower compression ratio engine on a high performance engine?
The Eco"boost" engine in our NFGT has forced air induction to higher MP levels.

why the change in crankshaft ?
Increased robustness for the duty cycle anticipated for the NFGT.

and why do you need crankshaft dampers ?
Whole multitude of answers here, higher operating rpm power band with different crankshaft harmonics due to different fluid dampner, stiffness of engine block/mounts to frame, crankshaft cheek weights, transmission input shaft feedback harmonics at different gears,...
I will leave you all to discuss that and I will be standing by and reading......This one will make you think...…...enjoy

So why don't you just tell us what YOU think?:unsure:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Bill - Are u certain on your answers?? 🤓😎😂

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The oil from the UK arrived. I bought it from the vendor on EBay. Figure an extra $35 for customs duty if you import the oil.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For the record the correct filter number is?

Just to clarify this, for record the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

Let me reiterate: the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

The Motorcraft online reference chart is incorrect and being updated. The FL500S is not the correct filter. Believe it, do not believe it; I do not care. Use it and you will save a lot of money on filters, which is convenient for when you'll need replacement engines.

Last edited:

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
No brainer Dave! Use the right one! Agreed!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I just received my filter from Kevin at Milliken!

EdIMG_1628.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The manual states 13.7 quarts (13L) is the regular oil/filter change refill capacity. The manual states to put 13L in after an oil/filter change, check the level and then top off as needed.

13L is overfilling the tank. What are you guys finding?

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Just to clarify this, for record the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

Let me reiterate: the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

The Motorcraft online reference chart is incorrect and being updated. The FL500S is not the correct filter. Believe it, do not believe it; I do not care. Use it and you will save a lot of money on filters, which is convenient for when you'll need replacement engines.

I suspect that the reason for this has to do with the insured quality of the anti-drain back valve. Almost all modern oil filters will have an anti-drain back valve which will prevent oil from draining out of the oil filter. Hence, these valves will help the engine to have oil pressure as soon as the engine is started. With modern high quality oils maybe this valve's function isn't critically important as in the worst case, maybe it takes a second for the engine to have oil pressure. No bigee.

However, in the case of the NFGT, there is quite a bit of external oil plumbing typically not found on today's production cars. Principally this is because that in addition to the "embedded" coolant to oil cooler, the NFGT also employs an external (large, vertically mounted) air to oil cooler. Impressively, this oil cooler even has a fan to further assist cooling. Anyway, with all of the hard line external plumbing, it is possible under probably unlikely scenarios, for the oil system to lose its prime. This wouldn't be good. The shop manual has a specific air-bleed-purge scenario in case any of these external lines/components needs to be serviced.

What I strongly suspect is the case, is that Ford incorporated a really higher-than-ordinary quality anti-drain back valve in this specific oil filter. While a lesser quality (cost) oil filter would likely work, there's probably a couple of odd-ass-car-angle parking scenarios that exist in the wild that - coupled with a failed or slowly leaking anti-drain back valve *might* cause the oil system to lose its prime. These are probably very unlikely scenarios.... but how lucky do you feel?

After this investigation, I'll shamelessly retract any recommendations to use something other than this filter. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a John Doe could get 50,000 trouble-free miles on an FL500S (it's not going to burst or anything like that)... but that once a decade downward, left-leaning mother-in-law driveway combined with a minute leak in the FL500S valve may cause that motor to go boom. And who would want to have their GT go "boom" at the mother-in-law's house?