Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
GT has a flat plane crank?
Yes The new ford gt does, most people think its the same engine as the raptor (not true) the only similarity between the ford gt and the raptor engine is the displacement. two different application one (the raptor requires low end torque) and the ford gt requires more at the mid to top end. If you notice when driving your new ford gt it really comes alive from 4500 rpms on up, this is indicative of a flat plan crank engine.

Reactions: Cobrar

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Perhaps after publishing the wrong oil filter in several iterations of Motorcraft publications for four years in a row (inexplicably, nobody catching the error until now), Ford also needs to correct this:

Ford GT’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine is the company’s most powerful EcoBoost ever, delivering 647 horsepower. It was developed alongside the GT race engine and the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine used in the F-150 Raptor high-performance off-road pickup, which shares almost 60 percent of its parts with GT’s engine.

For instance, during racing, the test engine’s crankshafts in the Daytona Prototype were cracking under grueling conditions. With little time to get ready for the Sebring endurance race that year, the team made a key decision to substitute the Daytona prototype’s race crankshaft with a pre-production F-150 Raptor crankshaft. The Daytona prototype won its first race at Sebring that year.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/products/cars/ford-gt/ford-gt.html

Challenge of the day: Name a V6 with a flat plane crank.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ferrari Dino?

Challenge of the day: Name a V6 with a flat plane crank.

Reactions: italianjoe

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Challenge of the day: Name a V6 with a flat plane crank

Feel like it would be cheating if I answered, so with that I will bow out and let you owners/members continue on. I would like to thank the many owners I have meet over the last few years who have made me feel very welcome to be part of the Ford GT community, THANK YOU. you guys are the best.

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
I got mine via my dealer, but laterealized it would havebeen cheaper to buy in UK and ship over
Texas mongrel can you point me to where you saw motorcraft oil useable when castrol not available

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ferrari Dino?

No guessing for others to verify or refute. Evidence required. :)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'll cut the quiz short, because it's a trick question. You can't have a flat plane (180 degree) crank with a V6. Nor the cross plane (90 degree) crank that all American V8s use (except the Voodoo) for that matter. Because, you would have wildly uneven firing intervals. To get the 120 degree firing order from a V6, you need spaced crank pins. And balance weights on the crank, if not an additional balance shaft to quell vibrations from the inherently unbalanced design.

The Dino had offset crank pins. The AR Giulia QV 2.9 V6 is often called 3/4 of a Ferrari engine, which is pretty close, but the crank is not 3/4 of a Ferrari flat plane. It too has offset crank pins.

Someone may yet find some obscure oddball V6 that attempted a flat plane. Probably everything has been tried once.

I'll wait for the mechanical engineers who actually completed their degrees to correct me. :)

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Texas mongrel can you point me to where you saw motorcraft oil useable when castrol not available

@1931imperial Here you go.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
When servicing the NFGT, we offer owners a choice - with BOTH alternatives in compliance with Ford's warranty requirements.

Alternative 1:

Motorcraft 5w-50 Full Synthetic Oil. 12 - quarts @ ~$9/QT = $108
FL500S Oil Filter @ ~$7
Total Parts cost for Oil Change: ~$115

Alternative 2:

Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50 Oil. 12 quarts @ ~$25/Qt = $300
HG7Z-6731-A Oil Filter @ ~$65
Total Parts cost for Oil Change: ~$365

Asked for our recommendation, I see no reason to spend $250 more when both choices meet engine/powertrain warranty requirements - as published explicitly by Ford.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
How come only 12quarts? The car holds 13.7

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Obviously, it is very important to get the oil level right. For the illustration above, I was using the 11.6 quarts from the tables referenced previously in this thread. Just ordered the 2019 Service Manual with the hope that we'll have the manual with the most up-to-date information (and corrected errors).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
100+ lbs of fluids, not counting fuel.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I'll cut the quiz short, because it's a trick question. You can't have a flat plane (180 degree) crank with a V6. Nor the cross plane (90 degree) crank that all American V8s use (except the Voodoo) for that matter. Because, you would have wildly uneven firing intervals. To get the 120 degree firing order from a V6, you need spaced crank pins. And balance weights on the crank, if not an additional balance shaft to quell vibrations from the inherently unbalanced design.

The Dino had offset crank pins. The AR Giulia QV 2.9 V6 is often called 3/4 of a Ferrari engine, which is pretty close, but the crank is not 3/4 of a Ferrari flat plane. It too has offset crank pins.

Someone may yet find some obscure oddball V6 that attempted a flat plane. Probably everything has been tried once.

I'll wait for the mechanical engineers who actually completed their degrees to correct me. :)

Once again Xcentric is CORRECT! The 3.5L engine in the NFGT is NOT a flat "PLANE" crankshaft. Very difficult if not impossible (see above) to use a flat plane crank with the internal dynamics of a V6.

If you notice when driving your new ford gt it really comes alive from 4500 rpms on up, this is indicative of a flat plan crank engine.

Actually the use of a flat "PLANE" (not plan) crankshaft accentuates acceleration rates throughout the engine rpm range. Not just at or above a certain engine speed. I would venture to say if one experiences a noticeable gain in hp above 4500 rpm, this increased power is likely from the turbos coming on line pressurizing inlet charge air and not spilling this feed air overboard via the waste gate. Thus a waste gate scheduler resultant.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
That is the correct part number HG7Z-6731-A
Now I’m really confused. The filter that was removed from my 2018 GT as originally equipped had the following part number: HG70-6714-AA. So will the REAL filter number please stand up?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Now I’m really confused. The filter that was removed from my 2018 GT as originally equipped had the following part number: HG70-6714-AA. So will the REAL filter number please stand up?
the correct part number is hg7z-6731-a, the other number looks like an engineering part number.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A199F08F-310F-4694-8DC7-2A1A0A38D69C.jpeg

Reactions: Ed Sims

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Once again Xcentric is CORRECT! The 3.5L engine in the NFGT is NOT a flat "PLANE" crankshaft. Very difficult if not impossible (see above) to use a flat plane crank with the internal dynamics of a V6.

Actually the use of a flat "PLANE" (not plan) crankshaft accentuates acceleration rates throughout the engine rpm range. Not just at or above a certain engine speed. I would venture to say if one experiences a noticeable gain in hp above 4500 rpm, this increased power is likely from the turbos coming on line pressurizing inlet charge air and not spilling this feed air overboard via the waste gate. Thus a waste gate scheduler resultant.

Overview

The 3.5L Ecoboost (4V) is a V-6 engine with the following features:

• Dual overhead camshafts
  • Four valves per cylinder
  • Dual fuel system: Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) with Port Fuel Injection (PFI)
  • Aluminum cylinder heads
  • An aluminum, 60-degree V-cylinder block
  • Twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT)
  • An electronic ignition system with 6 ignition coils

In addition to these typical 3.5L Ecoboost features, the engine for the GT has the following unique content:

• Dry sump oil pan with a oil tank behind the engine
  • Split ported turbo oil drain scavenging pump and dual oil pan scavenging pump - External 4 stage dry sump oil pump on the right side of the engine with integrated oil to coolant cooler and oil filter adapter
  • Camshafts
  • Crankshaft
  • Viscous crankshaft damper
  • Coolant pump
  • Cylinder heads
  • Cylinder head gasket
  • Cylinder head restricting orifice
  • EVAP lines
  • Exhaust manifolds
  • External oil to air cooler behind the right rear wheel
  • Front and rear accessory drive
  • High temp turbocharger hardware and gaskets
  • Intake manifold
  • LH timing chain tensioner arm
  • Oil pan with internal oil thermostat and screen and covers
  • Oil tank lines
  • Oil transfer tube with inline screen and manifold.
  • PCV lines
  • Pistons
  • Piston oil cooling jets
  • Connecting rods
  • Throttle body
  • Timing chain
  • Timing chain tensioners
  • Turbochargers
  • Turbocharger cooling and oil lines
  • Valve springs
following unique content, CRANKSHAFT, VISCOUS CRANKSHAFT DAMPER ? I CAN SEE HOW IT SHARES 60% OF ITS INTERNAL PARTS WITH A RAPTOR 3.5.......

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Not to be a jerk, but the GT does not have a flat plane crankshaft. That is a fact.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The 3.5 twin-turbo EcoBoost motor has been a beast since its first introduction in the F150. I was an early adopter and LOVED that motor for the power that it could provide - especially towing. (Was never an economical motor in my experience - but that's a different story.) Anyone who hasn't seen the multi-part 3.5L torture test videos on youtube is in for a real treat. Anyway, you take that already beast of a motor and then you add in all of the strengthening goodies as italianjoe outlined and you end up with an even better motor - that is most likely going to be very reliable as well.

In addition to our transaxle cooler for the 2005-2006 GT's, we worked together with Setrab to size and bring an oil cooler kit to the market for the Boss302 Mustangs and then later, the Ford Focus RS. Unlike many competitors, we retained the OEM coolant to oil cooler and added a Setrab air to oil cooler. The BTU cooling capacity becomes additive when you plumb these coolers in series. However we also needed to add an oil thermostat because on cooler days, the air to oil coolers can be too efficient. Not that it is rocket science, but it is interesting that with the NFGT, Ford did these same things to add cooling capacity for the oil. It's not often that you see an oil thermostat on a production motor - but the better you design (and place) your air to oil cooler, the more a thermostat is needed. A poorly designed air to oil cooler can also cause excessive pressure drop across the system - something I'm sure that Ford paid careful attention to.