Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I can find the oil from UK vendors. Any US sources? Castrol doesn't list it on their US website.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Looked high and low over the winter. Seems like its managed though the Ford parts network exclusively. Let me know if you find anything otherwise.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I need also

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I got mine via my dealer, but laterealized it would havebeen cheaper to buy in UK and ship over

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
"Together, both companies rigorously tested and refined a bespoke engine oil blend, leading to the launch of Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50 - recommended for the Ford GT."

"Bespoke" is another way of saying this oil is made under contract for Ford.

Edge Supercar 5W-50

• Approved for use in vehicles where the manufacturer requires a product that Meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C. It has been exclusively developed for the FORD GT supercar and is also suitable for use in other performance cars.
  • Suitable for use in vehicles where the manufacturer recommends an API SN 5W-50 lubricant.
Other oil meeting Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-C:

- Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

- LUCAS OIL High Performance 5W-50

- Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (yes, the same oil recommended for 05-06 GTs)

From the Ford Motorcraft Oil Data Sheet V4.5, 7/2016 (same in V9.0, 2018):

But, of course, paranoia strikes deep. Hmmm. There must be something really special to make oil cost $25/qt. Yeah, that $8/qt oil must be crap. My engine is like no other.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD and Ed Sims

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Rock Auto has the XO-5W50-QGT oil for 7.19/qt. I don't remember what shipping was but somewhere around $10. For the 05-06 get the filter there too, best price. Can't say about 17+ filters.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
@texas mongrel also found in the owners manual, a reference that Motorcraft oil was acceptible if the Castrol was not available. As I stated in where ever that thread was, until my warranty is up, Ill use the castrol. Debate forever, tell me I'm stupid, what ever feels right, but thats what Im doing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
@texas mongrel ... until my warranty is up, Ill use the castrol. Debate forever, tell me I'm stupid, what ever feels right, but thats what Im doing.

81vCECf6usL__AC_UL320_.jpg
This is close. Plus it's 5 gal from Amazon, no shipping, $569.05. Let us know how it works.

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ed, that isnt 5w50?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed, that isnt 5w50?
I don't think it is but it's close. What does Indy GT think?

Ed

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
If the oil meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-C, then it's OK for the NGT. I am using Motorcraft that meets this specification. The Castrol product may have some fancy titanium additive, but the specification set by engineering is the main criteria for selecting the proper oil. The "bespoke" selling point simply means "marketing gimmick" and therefore, "expensive".

Reactions: Nafod and Ed Sims

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If the oil meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-C, then it's OK for the NGT. I am using Motorcraft that meets this specification. The Castrol product may have some fancy titanium additive, but the specification set by engineering is the main criteria for selecting the proper oil. The "bespoke" selling point simply means "marketing gimmick" and therefore, "expensive".

For warranty validation purposes only, I will publicly disagree with you. 😆

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
For warranty validation purposes only, I will publicly disagree with you. 😆

Then why does Ford publish the fact that their Motorcraft 0W50 that meets this specification is a viable, and acceptable alternative. Is there a mis-print in the owner’s manual? If so, who’s liable?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Then why does Ford publish the fact that their Motorcraft 0W50 that meets this specification is a viable, and acceptable alternative. Is there a mis-print in the owner’s manual? If so, who’s liable?

You missed the joke. I agree with you.

Reactions: Ed Sims

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
You missed the joke. I agree with you.

My sense of humor has been dulled by working on about a dozen nonsensical legal issues this week. I need to “get my grin on”.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
"Together, both companies rigorously tested and refined a bespoke engine oil blend, leading to the launch of Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50 - recommended for the Ford GT."

"Bespoke" is another way of saying this oil is made under contract for Ford.

Edge Supercar 5W-50

• Approved for use in vehicles where the manufacturer requires a product that Meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C. It has been exclusively developed for the FORD GT supercar and is also suitable for use in other performance cars.
  • Suitable for use in vehicles where the manufacturer recommends an API SN 5W-50 lubricant.
Other oil meeting Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-C:

- Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

- LUCAS OIL High Performance 5W-50

- Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (yes, the same oil recommended for 05-06 GTs)

View attachment 56392

From the Ford Motorcraft Oil Data Sheet V4.5, 7/2016 (same in V9.0, 2018):

View attachment 56393

But, of course, paranoia strikes deep. Hmmm. There must be something really special to make oil cost $25/qt. Yeah, that $8/qt oil must be crap. My engine is like no other.

Now let’s talk oil filters. The chart above corespondents to some research I did on my own in January while preparing to change my NGT oil myself. If you inquire with your concierge or dealer, a different part number has been assigned to the Ford part FL500S oil filter when applicable to the NGT. (Unfortunately I don’t have the filter part number handy now) It’s another way of restricting access to the part, as other retailers cannot get the part or sell the part, it must go through the concierge and servicing dealer. Cost is around $72. I know because my dealer sold me one. My independent homework revealed that at least from what I gathered, the oil filter number FL500S was indeed the same identical filter as the one the dealer sold me. I just purchased that filter (FL500S) on Amazon for $4.87. It’s interesting to me that now the official Motorcraft cross reference chart calls for FL500S for the new GT. Isn’t marketing and pricing strategy an interesting thing to contemplate? I have not seen nor run test data on flow rates, filter range, etc., I wonder if anyone else here can share their experience and research. In the end, I can change my own oil on my NGT for about $100 using my lift in less than an hour. Huh? Maybe when my car’s engine explodes into oblivion because I am so cheap, I will better understand the rationale of paying more.....However, I don’t anticipate that will happen.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Same with the oil, I paid for the specific part number for the $6x spin on filter, and will continue to do so, at minimum for the warranty period. I too can be horrendously cheap, however, as we all know this car can be sometimes finicky, and I dont want a possible warranty claim to be denied because parts strayed from the spec.

My 2c, FWIW

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
GTFO! The venerable FL500S works on the GT???

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The venerable Motorcraft 5W-50 and FL500S. Recommended by Ford for the GT since 2017.

Open up the $75 filter and what will you find? Yep...paper and a bypass valve. And of course that means there are a slew of compatible filters for less than $10.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
dealer cost on the filter is 35 dollars

Reactions: italianjoe