Sooooo, is it to early to ask about Rally VIII?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Willow Springs (Big Track) will really test your skills because a mistake in 8 or 9 could have major consequences, it is also a very fun track to drive and has no noise restrictions that both Laguna Seca and Sears Point have.

WSIR is VERY fast. 9 is a very high speed sweeper which is probably scariest for those more comfortable with the track and therefore take that turn very quickly. Personally, I've almost lost it at 3 and 4, probably the slowest parts of the track but very unforgiving if throttle and steering inputs aren't spot on.

Most have probably seen this, but here's a Japanese review of the GT at WSIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSyO7PciLM

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd definitely go to Miller Motor Sports if it were there.

Shelby American is using the Spring Mountain facility in Pahrump, NV. They had their event there this year, and except for the driving distance from hotel (South Point handles trailers and protected parking very well) to the track, people liked the track.

Colorado has some tracks but I've never been to them, maybe Mike or Jim have. There is one in Byers, and the old Pueblo track is no back on the air. The thing is for Byers, it's a 45 minute drive to the facility (assuming people would want to stay where there is something happening which means downtown Denver - a great place with lots of places to stay and eat and party).

Pueblo has no socially redeeming value :( (Sorry if anyone lives there is offended, but hosting an event like this there would be a stretch.)

Is it really necessary to tie it to a track? How about a couple of days of "road trips" and drives in the mountains? Steamboat Springs hosts one of the largest Mustang gatherings in the country with only a auto-cross track but do day drives. They used to do vintage racing but stopped that a number of years ago.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'd definitely go to Miller Motor Sports if it were there.

Shelby American is using the Spring Mountain facility in Pahrump, NV. They had their event there this year, and except for the driving distance from hotel (South Point handles trailers and protected parking very well) to the track, people liked the track.

Colorado has some tracks but I've never been to them, maybe Mike or Jim have. There is one in Byers, and the old Pueblo track is no back on the air. The thing is for Byers, it's a 45 minute drive to the facility (assuming people would want to stay where there is something happening which means downtown Denver - a great place with lots of places to stay and eat and party).

Pueblo has no socially redeeming value :( (Sorry if anyone lives there is offended, but hosting an event like this there would be a stretch.)

Is it really necessary to tie it to a track? How about a couple of days of "road trips" and drives in the mountains? Steamboat Springs hosts one of the largest Mustang gatherings in the country with only a auto-cross track but do day drives. They used to do vintage racing but stopped that a number of years ago.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but previous rallies have been at Miller and Spring Mountain. Think Colorado would be a great location. Only potential issue is weather. Doesn't it get pretty darn cold there by October?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sears Point.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The annual thread where people pitch the location closest to their house. :lol

Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone. Prior year attendees input is given priority. Bonehead-how is the car search coming?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Most have probably seen this, but here's a Japanese review of the GT at WSIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSyO7PciLM

This guy certainly doesn't know how to drive Willow, and his lap time was comparable to some SCCA classes with well less than 100 HP.....lol.....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't know if it makes a difference, but previous rallies have been at Miller and Spring Mountain. Think Colorado would be a great location. Only potential issue is weather. Doesn't it get pretty darn cold there by October?

Like I said, Colorado does have limited track. But I would also say that the weather in October is a crap shoot. It can rain or snow, but it won't be major accumulations, but they will potentially sand/mag chloride the roads if it does snow. Make it a few weeks earlier and you should be OK. But that's the mountains proper. (See the pics from what we did yesterday.) We didn't have any trouble with cold tires yesterday.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Guys,

"Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone"!

Dave, if possible let us know as early as you can so we can start planning. I know you have heard it but "THANKS" That was an EPIC time. Somewhere that has something close to resembling Bourbon Street would be nice.

Larry

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone. Prior year attendees input is given priority. Bonehead-how is the car search coming?

Somewhat at a standstill. Still waiting for my Porsche to sell before I can move on anything else. Went to visit Marv Rose about a week ago. Very gratious, we chatted about GT's for a bit. He's keeping his eyes/feelers out for what I'm looking for. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, he'll have something lined up for me.

So......any hints as to the location of R8?

This guy certainly doesn't know how to drive Willow, and his lap time was comparable to some SCCA classes with well less than 100 HP.....lol.....

I never said it was a good example of driving skill:) Just a fun vid of a GT at Big Willow;)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

NEWFOUNDLAND...not close to anyone.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
The Mojave air and space port where the mojave mile and mojave magnum 1.5 mile are held is just 15 miles from Willow Springs raceway, which is a HIGH speed road course favorable to GT's which are prone to heat soak on slower speed road courses. these two race venues are within 100 miles of LA, California. So LA gets my vote....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Guys,

"Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone"!

Dave, if possible let us know as early as you can so we can start planning. I know you have heard it but "THANKS" That was an EPIC time. Somewhere that has something close to resembling Bourbon Street would be nice.

Larry

Yes, I think it is good to have it planned further in advance. It makes planning a lot easier. I knew when NO was announced I could not make it no matter what, because this time was work scheduled for me a year ago.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed,

Good info....two questions. How do you mean too long of a track? And, what are they doing on both sides of the highway, two different tracks?

Too long is because we ran the 4+ mile & 30+ corner variation. I am not familiar with RFR building anything on the east side of HWY 50/95. Well, unless they plan on lengthening the track!

Ed

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Awww, come on. Just a hint?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
West of Mississippi.

Ed

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
How about Jonesboro, Arkansas? More GTs came thru there than Detroit. They have roads, even a paved one, and we ain't gotta wear no shoes... State law. Plus I think one of our sponsors would let us stay at his place and mooch, er uh relax.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
How about Jonesboro, Arkansas? More GTs came thru there than Detroit. They have roads, even a paved one, and we ain't gotta wear no shoes... State law. Plus I think one of our sponsors would let us stay at his place and mooch, er uh relax.

Sweet! I could park the motor home on the front lawn, got enough hose to run my gray & black water all the way to the gutter so no mess there....hell I even have some new pink flamingos I could stick in the lawn to spruce the place up. I'm in!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Laguna Seca would be absolutely the very best...but may be far too pricey.....

Just an FYI, but Laguna Seca is about the same price as Miller Motorsports Park. This is to say "not cheap," but we've spent the big money for the good venue before.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Fubar

Sweet! I could park the motor home on the front lawn, got enough hose to run my gray & black water all the way to the gutter so no mess there....hell I even have some new pink flamingos I could stick in the lawn to spruce the place up. I'm in!

I'll bring an extra washer and refrig to put next to the motor home Steve.........

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Originally Posted by Fubar

I'll bring an extra washer and refrig to put next to the motor home Steve.........

Hey Mike -

I'll add the BBQ & utensils -

View attachment 26596

View attachment 26597

We could have a Women's Tournement at the local bowling alley -

View attachment 26598

But, we'll have to have Shelby ugrade the women's restroom -

View attachment 26599