Sooooo, is it to early to ask about Rally VIII?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Where? When? Can I help?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
One vote respectfully cast from an owner-to-be for NorCal (Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma):)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Maybe a quick run over the Sonora Pass and then return on the Tioga? IMO, some of the most beautiful, scenic and fun roads in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora_Pass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioga_Pass

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Remember Tioga can close for the winter this early if its a heavy snow year...but it is an amazing road and drive....

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Laguna Seca would be absolutely the very best...but may be far too pricey.....

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Laguna Seca would be absolutely the very best...but may be far too pricey.....

Plus the dB restrictions i would imagine would make it prohibitive for most modded GT's. Thunderhill could be an option.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Actually I was thinking Motorsports Ranch in north Texas would be a great venue for this event! Lots of Ford/Shelby heritage there too....

http://www.motorsportranch.com/

I think SCAT also uses this facility for thier annual event.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
In SoCal we have three tracks, AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, WillowSprings Raceway, and ButtonWillow owned by CalClub. AutoClub would be amazing running the road course and then the high banks, but very pricey and a busy schedule. Willow is less expensive but also has a pretty busy schedule.....and I think most would like this track that's been here for over 50 years. ButtonWillow is most reasonably priced and most available with 30 some track configurations to choose from, but it is flat and out in the middle of the plains somewhat near Bakersfield.

Other option might be to tag your event to an event already on the calendar, cheaper, better track, and most of the organization is already done.....you'd ask for 2 or 3 run groups just for you guys....but maybe that's not enough?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
In SoCal we have three tracks, AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, WillowSprings Raceway, and ButtonWillow owned by CalClub. AutoClub would be amazing running the road course and then the high banks, but very pricey and a busy schedule. Willow is less expensive but also has a pretty busy schedule.....and I think most would like this track that's been here for over 50 years. ButtonWillow is most reasonably priced and most available with 30 some track configurations to choose from, but it is flat and out in the middle of the plains somewhat near Bakersfield.

Other option might be to tag your event to an event already on the calendar, cheaper, better track, and most of the organization is already done.....you'd ask for 2 or 3 run groups just for you guys....but maybe that's not enough?

Potential problem with the latter two is the distance from 'civilization'. Pretty sure no one wants to have the rally in the middle of polluted California desert and/or farmland. WSIR is a good 2 hours from L.A. and Buttonwillow....well....that's just plain in the middle of nowhere (although would be PERFECT for me as it's only an hour-ish away:)).
As for 2-3 run groups, that only amounts to half a day at most. No likely enough, particularly for the ones traveling long distances to attend.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah I don't see these as being good options, not that anyone is even asking....haha. I would agree that ButtonWillow, the only one that is likely to be possible, does not have many other entertainment options nearby. However, Willow Springs has the whole Antelope valley is as close as 15 minutes away.

I personally would rather do 3 run groups at Laguna Seca or AutoClub than 5 or 6 at some ordinary place (that was the point of the idea). What about that new track up by Reno? I forget the name, but last time I was by there they had cars on track?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeah I don't see these as being good options, not that anyone is even asking....haha. I would agree that ButtonWillow, the only one that is likely to be possible, does not have many other entertainment options nearby. However, Willow Springs has the whole Antelope valley is as close as 15 minutes away.

I personally would rather do 3 run groups at Laguna Seca or AutoClub than 5 or 6 at some ordinary place (that was the point of the idea). What about that new track up by Reno? I forget the name, but last time I was by there they had cars on track?

Reno? Only one in NV I know worth mentioning is Spring Mountain in Pahrump and they already had Rally III there.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
It's not Spring Mountain, the track I speak of is closer to Reno than Las Vegas....I'll see if I can get a name.....

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Reno Fernley Raceway....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Fernley is not open at this time - they are still trying to work out financials. Secondly, you drive through a junkyard to get to the track, which has absolutely no facilities! I've been there for some vintage races, and, believe me, you would not like it. 40 miles east of Reno. Not a GT town or track.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
They have a schedule that shows several events and there were cars on the track when I drove by there a month or so ago, but I agree it's probably not a good option due to the distance to Reno.....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Fernley is not open at this time - they are still trying to work out financials. Secondly, you drive through a junkyard to get to the track, which has absolutely no facilities! I've been there for some vintage races, and, believe me, you would not like it. 40 miles east of Reno. Not a GT town or track.

Ed Sims said your car will get sandblasted driving on that track!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I disliked Reno-Fernley. Too long of a track, poor track surface, in the middle of nowhere, dirty track (rocks, sand, tire debris) & no amenities other than some gross portacans. I drove my GT there just to say I did.

Ed

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Ed,

Good info....two questions. How do you mean too long of a track? And, what are they doing on both sides of the highway, two different tracks?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Fernley is also very hard on tires - volcanic pumice on each side of the track, which gets onto the track surface when the wind blows. I thought that the layout of the track was OK, lots of varying radii turns and elevation changes - but the setting and facilities are not good.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Willow Springs (Big Track) will really test your skills because a mistake in 8 or 9 could have major consequences, it is also a very fun track to drive and has no noise restrictions that both Laguna Seca and Sears Point have.