Silver State Classic Challenge

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I'm currently in the Bob Bondurant Driving class in Phoenix and a guy told me about this Silver State Classic Challenge, a 90 mile timed event in Nevada, on the open road. Several classes 95 mph to unlimited. I'm not 100% clear on how it works, but it's more a race of accuracy and finishing the 90 miles with a time that would correspond to hitting your class mph, i.e. 95, 100, 105 mph and so on for the entire race.

I'd run this thing alone, but it seems a navigator to read times, work the stop watch would be very helpful. Looks like the next event is May 13-16 and I'm free.

Is anyone interested in either driving and I'll navigate or I'll drive my GTX1 and you can navigate. For the first time, I'm probably comfortable at the 110-125 mph class (I think you might be limited to 125 the first time), meaning we'd average that as close as possible for the 90 miles.

They have several other events that same week, a 1/2 mile, 1 mile speed run and other fun stuff.

There is a certain amount of leg work involved ahead of time, gps reads of mile markers, some math and such, I'm happy to do that.

They do it again in Sept, so we could swap drivers/cars for that race.

Any takers???? :cheers

All the info is here http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Aug 25, 2006
I know a few folks that do this event as well as other similar events every year and they have a great time

The only issue for me is that it is always during the fricken heat of summer

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GTX, do a search here. There's lots of posts about it. I think Lgarutti from FL does this every year.There are even some downloaded posters stored here.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thought DBK went last year.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would be interested if I also get to drive .
Shadowman stick up for me !

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Thanks for the quick replies and a couple PMs. Maybe I jumped the gun, but I know a lot of people like some lead time to make travel plans. We can get more serious about it March-April. Perhaps we can get some kind of coordinated group and make a GT weekend of it. I'm going to get more info about the rules and join and pay my fees soon, I'm sure they limit the entries, then when this tread dies, I'll refresh it next Spring to see what we can put together. Any chance to drive fast legally......

As a side, I wish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Wealthy 2010.

Cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would be interested if I also get to drive .
Shadowman stick up for me !

If you let Ron drive, buy some diapers! :rofl

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
GTX1-007,

You might also consider the Bonneville 100 Open Road Race (June 24th-27th, 2010). This is being put on by the same folks doing the Mojave Mile event in March. The nice thing about the Bonne 100 is that it is two legs of 50 miles each, so if you want to drive and you have a co-driver, each of you will get a chance to drive and navigate. I be running my Unlimited class Camaro in the 175 MPH class (they have no Unlimited Class) and I'll be shooting for my 8th Plaque on the 200 MPH Club trophy.

I've already clocked a 215 MPH top speed at this venue.

(I also won the Unlimited Class at the 2007 & 2008 Silver State Classic Challenge averaging over 198 MPH for the 90 mile run.)

Richard Hille
Hille Racing, Inc.
The GT School

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
GTX1-007,

You might also consider the Bonneville 100 Open Road Race (June 24th-27th, 2010). This is being put on by the same folks doing the Mojave Mile event in March. The nice thing about the Bonne 100 is that it is two legs of 50 miles each, so if you want to drive and you have a co-driver, each of you will get a chance to drive and navigate. I be running my Unlimited class Camaro in the 175 MPH class (they have no Unlimited Class) and I'll be shooting for my 8th Plaque on the 200 MPH Club trophy.

(I also won the Unlimited Class at the 2007 & 2008 Silver State Classic Challenge averaging over 198 MPH for the 90 mile run.)

Richard Hille
Hille Racing, Inc.
The GT School

Thanks Richard, I'm trying to stack my calender with these kinds of events. I'll look that one up. And a big congrats on those trophies. I'll pm you and see if you can help me bring a few home.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Speed Limits

Does this event have speed limits like the Mojave Mile? Same equipment requirements? It would be nice to know.

Thanks,
Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
GTX1-007,

Richard Hille
Hille Racing, Inc.
The GT School

Thats impressive!

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ed Sims,

All sanctioned speed events have limitations based on vehicle safety equipment and driver experience. Typically, a new competitor will be limited to a max average speed of about 120 mph. Now, that said, not many people have spent nearly one hour driving at over 100 mph. Many of the new competitors have driven over 100 mph, some over 150 mph, but generally that was for a few seconds and then immediately slowing down so that they don't get caught and arrested.

With these events, you are over 100 mph pretty much the whole event. (I have spent literally HOURS over 200 MPH) You will have a blast. Think about it, over 100 mph for 100 miles..... No speeding tickets. The cops you DO see will smile and wave....

Check out www.openroadracing.com

Richard Hille
The GT School

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
You have my interest peaked on these events.
Richard, do you have a website describing your GT school?

Found a good video with you in it Richard :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvzXIM14zQ

And here is one where a GT gets loose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyU1YJZfPc&feature=related

Last edited:

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
GTFUN,

We had a website in process, but the "webmaster" lost interest and let it expire. We hope to find a proper webmaster and get a good site up and running in the next few months.

As it is, there is a great deal of information here on the forum about the school. I am very pleased that virtually every school we've had, after the first one, has had returning students. That says a lot.

Richard Hille
The GT School

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
GTFUN,

We had a website in process, but the "webmaster" lost interest and let it expire. We hope to find a proper webmaster and get a good site up and running in the next few months.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Iv'e got a great webmaster Richard that can't be beat.
PM me if you would like his info.

I would appreciate your phone number so I can call you
about your school. Thanks..