Should Mom Buy A Gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2006
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I tried asking asking members off of 6speedonline.com the same question iam about to ask and i got very rude comments and had to delete my post.please dont respond if you are going to make fun of me for letting my mom by an exotic or that i cant write a proper thread.My mom is a 53 rear old lady who is interested in buying a new car. She allready owns a 02 porsche 911 turbo that has a little work done to it.It is a great car and she loves it,but it is time for an exotic .We would like to spend around 175k,so that leaves very few options in the exotic market.We dont want a new 997 porsche turbo,used ferrari 360 modena,lambo gallardo,m5,m6,or aston martin.That is when i told her that maybe a ford gt would be good.She can drive the hell out of her porsche now,but do you think the ford gt would be to much.She was able to drive my toyota supra that put down 800-900 hp.We went down today to look at one and she really liked it.there was a brand new heritige and tungstine gray,but she liked the blue and orange gulf colors more.I found a dealership that would let her test drive it on saturday but i would assume that it will be a very short test drive,so she wont be able to see what she is getting herself into.She doesnt street race or anything but likes to open it up sometimes,and would like to take the skip barber race school or something that could teach her how to drive properly.Also my butthead brother-in-law purchased a 03 porsche 911 turbo with the x50 package that add's about 50 more hp , raced her for a gear or two,and beat her pretty bad.I dont condone my mom racing,but it was family and it was really quick with nobody around.We please excuse me if i didnt use proper grammar and thank you for the help and comments.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I've read your post before. Didn't she buy a Viper.....

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
BUY THE GT ! Buy 2. Your mom won't be sorry. This car is so fantastic, that she won't even consider getting in her old cars again.

Just read the posts on this sight. I think every person who has a GT will agree with me when I say, "You don't just drive a GT, You have an experience"
Besides, all the better people have at least one GT. (except Me :frown )

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
On this site you will get nothing but comments, of YES buy the GT. You can spend days reading all of the praise for this kick ass car! The car is much like a 911 turbo, where it is a car that can be driven daily (granted NO storage), but also wrung out, when the time is appropriate. If you read, you will also find that there are SEVERAL forum members that like the car so much they have 2.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I grew up in Pasadena so I can't help but ask, has she thought of "A Brand New Shiny Black Super Stock Dodge" ?

Sorry, couldn't help it. My wife (44yrs) loves to drive ours. Its very tame when you want it to be. Good luck!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2006
wow.thank you guy's.to answer a couple questions that were asked.No she didnt buy a viper,but i actually suggested one.She lives in laguna beach california and said there were a lot of older mid lif crisis men driving them.personally,that is one of my favorite cars.Thank you guy's for the informative answers.I think i now know that the car will be fine for her and that the test drive should go well.it is nice to see there are good non-stuck up people,just like the supraforums.you guy's are more passionate about your cars,just like iam.6speedonline.com are a bunch of fake euro trash guy's that think they got money.but really they dont know shxx about there cars.thanks once again guy's.http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=37611#

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nick, remember, there's no trunk space, and if she carries a big purse, it will be hard on her. How tall is she and what does she weigh? Short people, same as tall people, have a little problem seeing out. This is not an insurmountable problem, but the seat does not go up or down, just back and forth. This is not the car for a woman to drive and talk on the phone or gossip with a friend in the passenger seat. It can bite very severely, just like a Viper. There are no traction aids or side air bags. Keep this in mind. Frank

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Nobody could possibly tell your mom what to want. I personally think that lack of rear vision would be a huge minus for most people not used to exotics. A 360 would be a better choice for her in my opinion. You can drive a 360 dressed in anything, and have some trunk space, but wearing high heels in a GT would be hard to change gears (I wouldn't personally know). :biggrin
If she really likes it, then she should get it. Not because it is a popular choice, but because it is her choice.
My wife loves being driven in the GT, but she does not like driving it.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
If she is going to use it for a now and then fun car, absolutely buy. She won't need her purse - there is a pouch on the front of the seat for your drivers license and your VISA card.

If it is a daily driver, read some of the posts about drawbacks as a daily car. Some guys do it, not sure if I would.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
supranick750hp said:
...6speedonline.com are a bunch of fake euro trash guy's that think they got money.but really they dont know shxx about there cars.thanks once again guy's.

Supranick750hp,
There are a lot of nice memebers at 6speedonline.com, and I don't see any negative comments on the Ford GT at all on this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62099

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I met several women at the rally who have driven their hubbie's GT or that want to. One person in particular was only about 5'2" & was too short to drive it. If your mom is short, it will definitely be a problem - the short test drive (or even just sitting in the driver's seat) will tell if she's a good fit. The test drive will also show how smooth the shifting is & how easy it is to drive slow & calmly (in traffic). Compared to driving the viper, I found the GT is easier & more comfortable to drive & much quieter stock (though I do like both cars very much).

Although I'm not an owner, I've been in both the driver & passenger seats of the GT. I've driven my sports car (stick shift) in high heels & a dress w/o a problem, though I wouldn't recommend driving the GT in heels. (Besides, when a girl's all done up, it's more fun to let the guy drive you anyways IMO.) :wink My daily driver has very limited rear visibility & I've never had a problem with it. Switching to the GT was easy & I was surprised that I could see as well as I could (though if your mom isn't used to mirror driving & poor rear visibility, it may take some getting used to). Having a purse wouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those monster sized purses. The passenger seat is rather spacious & you can fit the purse or other small things either on the passenger seat or by the passenger's feet w/o causing any problem. The doors take a little getting used to as well. You need a lot of space to park because the doors have to open all the way in order to get out. Not an easy car to parallel park in or back into tight spaces with.

Whether you're a girl or a guy, if you like sports cars & can afford it, it's an incredible car. :thumbsup

MJ

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Hey Nick, they were mostly kidding in 6speedonline. Most of them are really good people. Money is just not an issue here. Cars are. Anyways...buy her the GT already, she has no better option (IMO). I own a 575HP 996TT and the GT is just such a different animal. She'll love the attention, and the power. The only little down side is changing lanes or backing up, but for what I hear, she'll handle that just fine.
Good Luck
ROCK

Oct 22, 2006
Hello guys.My mom didnt have trouble getting in and out of it.Yes you guys were right about having the door open all the way to get out.Also,she will not use it for a daily driver and wont have any luggage,just a purse. She drives her porsche once or twice a week.It is an 02 with 10,300 miles on it.There was a member that suggested a 360 modena for her.Iam not being rude but we hate those cars.Some of the people that drive them in orange county california look so stupid.they would of been better off bying an s-class and not try so hard to look cool.Also,we would like a new model car and not one that is out dated like the 996 and 360.I think we will go with the ford gt after she reads all your post tomarrow and when she gets her test drive.It was also nice to hear that she will be able to drive this car,just like how she does with the 911. i Hate when you hear that the lambo or ferrari only had 5k mile and needed a new tranny,clutch,or other major things.i guess you can say ford tuff right.thanks guys and have a great day.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
"There was a member that suggested a 360 modena for her.Iam not being rude but we hate those cars.Some of the people that drive them in orange county california look so stupid.they would of been better off bying an s-class and not try so hard to look cool."
-Imagine if it was an old lady driving it...jajaja

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I dont think his mom sounds old, but an old lady driving either a 360 or GT would look funny. I personally don't care for 360's unless it is a Stradale.
What about a Lambo? Gallardos are pretty decent and sound absolutely great. You can get an 04 in the low 130's, and it's still the same body style.
Again, I will say that she needs to make that decision. She will know once she sits in it. I knew the GT was for me without even a test drive. :biggrin

SuperGT

Oct 27, 2006
tell her to go for the GT. you only live once.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Tell to go for it!

I love my 06 black no sts.I got gt#two today yellow black sts.You do just have today! Mom go get it.

Oct 22, 2006
leaving on a 1 1/2 hour road trip to test drive one.i hope it goes well. thanks guys and wish us luck.

Oct 22, 2006
Hello.we went down to galpin ford in california and the gave us a great test drive.You guys were right, this car drives awsome. My mom drove it with ease and wants it now.the problem is that they want to much for there cars. They had the heritage,but wanted 210k because it is the last one made.They also had 3 reds,2 yellows,1 blue, and 1 gray.i tried talking to them about them and he said they couldnt do msrp on those as well.They wanted a $5-10k markup. i found another dealer close to me that has a heritage and said i could get it for msrp.I also got a pm from this website about a guy who got a few members 4500-7000 off of msrp but i would have to wait a few weeks so he could locate us one.should i wait or get this one at msrp.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
supranick750hp said:
Hello.we went down to galpin ford in california and the gave us a great test drive.You guys were right, this car drives awsome. My mom drove it with ease and wants it now.the problem is that they want to much for there cars. They had the heritage,but wanted 210k because it is the last one made.

Tell them their wrong, I sold not only the last Heritage made for the US but it was also the last US vin. "1870" to be precise.

Status
Not open for further replies.