Seeking gt40 replica

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Per Ronnie Spain's book, those are all MK I's. 1060 had a Mk II like tail fitted which was later removed. I am by no means an expert in GT40 history but I believe all Mk IIs were built using the 7.0 liter 427 and never with a small block. Feel free to correct me with details if I am incorrect.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
According to "Ford GT40 & GT Ultimate Portfolio" (Brooklands Books), which is a collection of magazine articles and by no means an authoritative source, all Mk IIs were 427s. If it had a 427 it was called a Mk II...until the 427 Mk IVs were developed. The Mk 1s had originally the 4.2 liter Indy engine or, later, the 4.7 liter (289).

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
p/1060, p/1061, p/1062 & p/1067

My Dad purchased P1060 new from Ford through CS and it was a MK I with a 289. It was however fitted with MKII rear brake
intake scoops. It's the car in my Avatar. As for A/C, they had it added by Max Kelly (Black #2 car chief) because it was almost undriveable in 80 degrees and above.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Displacement alone does not make a 427 a big block. The 427s used in the original GT40s were the 427FE, or the so called "side oiler". It is a big block Ford (which included the 390). Today's 427's come in either 427FE or a bored/stroked Windsor (origianlly 350CI), which is a "small block" design.

You can get more out of a small block for HP and torque, but the side oiler is what will give you 24 hours of operation. The FEs were originally marine and standing pump engines. If you are looking at a FE make sure it is not a backwards marine engine as they came both ways.

I am positive everyone understands this but in reading the thread I wasn't sure...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My Dad purchased P1060 new from Ford through CS and it was a MK I with a 289. It was however fitted with MKII rear brake
intake scoops. It's the car in my Avatar. As for A/C, they had it added by Max Kelly (Black #2 car chief) because it was almost undriveable in 80 degrees and above.

Wow, is the car still in the family? Hope so.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You don't want to know the answer to that question. Ugh.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Read the link in Ronnie Spain's book I provided...

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I had never noticed that avatar. Must be a hell of a story.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am interested in info for the best replica GT40.I plan on using it for track use,some street use and possibly vintage racing .Do any forum members have one?
I am looking for a kick ass track car!
Geez it may even be welcome at rallies!

They're cool but they are a tight fit.. I would be ok for a guy your size.. Find a beat up GT and make it a track car : )

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ok ,
my boss ls is for sale so i can get this new gt40

2013 boss ls
302r brakes
302r suspension
carbon drive shaft
ford racing oil cooler
roll bar
6 point racing harnesses
clear bra
window tinting
1 set stock wheels
high flow clutch line
mgw short throw shifter
racing fluids
22 mm sway bar
track key
owners kit
vin 031
comes with all stock parts
2k on her
60k takes it or b/o
2 sets of forgeline wheels available.

Attachments

• boss with forgelines.jpg
    boss with forgelines.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 272
  • boss s2.jpg
    boss s2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 266
  • boss s.jpg
    boss s.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 255
  • boss 1.jpg
    boss 1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 267

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Wow Ron....the BOSS302 sure did not last long.
How come the desire to ditch it for a GT40 Replica, if I may ask??
Just want to up the performance capabilities overall for your tracking??

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Make sure you fit!

Ron,
I befriended a few guys at Ford in the UK when I purchased my GT back in 2005 and when my car arrived at Roush in London one of them called me and asked if I wanted to go see it before it was ready for delivery. He told me to meet him at his office and we would drive over to Roush together as he had a special surprise for me. When I arrived at Ford's UK headquarters he took me down in to the corporate garage and said we'd be driving over to Roush in the car pictured below... an original GT 40 owned by Ford. What a thrill! It was a great car but I literally didn't fit into it. My knees were at my chin! Make sure that there's enough space in the car for your use before you order one!

RobDSC00807.jpgDSC00809.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
One of, I believe, seven Mk IIIs. Historic, and valuable (Ford had it insured for $600K several years ago), but the only not-beautiful GT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I stand corrected - to quote Ron Wakefield:

"After Le Mans 1965, Ford people were sure that they had in the Mark II (as all 7-liter GTs are called) a car fast enough to be competitive in 1966. If it could last.

"The Mark II was basically the same car as the original GT, which had been conceived by Eric Broadlwy in 1962-63 and refined extensively by Lunn's team of designers. The 7-liter engine and various strengthening components required with it added several hundred pounds of weight; it had a longer nose to accomodate more radiator and ducting, and cast alloy wheels rather than the wire ones of the original GT-40s, now called the Mark I." ....

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Regarding fitting. I'm 6'2 and fit very comfortably. The pedal box on the SPF cars are adjustable. I run mine in the furthest forward position. That said, they are snug and if you are claustrophobic it might be uncomfortable. Coming from a GT your first impression will be holy chit this thing is little and very tight. Combine that with the complete rawness, loudness, shaking, sweating, gone deaf driving sensations, the car will be a shock to the system the first couple times in it. It is nothing like a GT! For me there is comparison which one I enjoy more driving. The up or down side depending on your perspective is how ever much attention you are used to getting in the GT, it will double in a GT40.

2012071903.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think Rocketman needs to worry more about girth rather than length.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Ouch! That could be a problem lol.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Regarding fitting. I'm 6'2 and fit very comfortably. The pedal box on the SPF cars are adjustable. I run mine in the furthest forward position. That said, they are snug and if you are claustrophobic it might be uncomfortable. Coming from a GT your first impression will be holy chit this thing is little and very tight. Combine that with the complete rawness, loudness, shaking, sweating, gone deaf driving sensations, the car will be a shock to the system the first couple times in it. It is nothing like a GT! For me there is comparison which one I enjoy more driving. The up or down side depending on your perspective is how ever much attention you are used to getting in the GT, it will double in a GT40.

Same as a Cobra. These were race cars guys. They were built as a means of moving an engine around a track at the highest speed possible. The drivers were paid handsomely for their discomfort.

The street cars were homologation vehicles just to get the FIA GT rules.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That said, they are snug and if you are claustrophobic it might be uncomfortable. Coming from a GT your first impression will be holy chit this thing is little and very tight.

Pure gospel on both points, Kimo Sabe. I'm not really all that claustrophobic, but the 1st time I sat in one and shut the doors I almost felt like I was suffocating and needed air - NOW! But, subsequent 'outings' in '40s have illustrated that, for me at least, those feelings are fleeting.

That said, there is no way - NO WAY - I'd e-v-e-r ride in one on a hot day if it had no A/C! THAT would never cut it! And on any day when the temp is above 80* - it'd need to be turned all the way up to 'DEEP FREEZE'. The degree of confinement in a '40 demands it!:willy

(Yeah, I know, Mikey - YOU love your 40's sauna effect! But then, YOU are completely nuts!)