Replacing gauges

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Frank you sure? If indeed the Speedhuts do, it is not the same blueish tint that Im most familiar with on watches, that the OEMs clearly have

Do these gauges have AR (antireflective) coatings?

Yes they have anti-glare coatings.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I do see reflections in the photo however I've never seen them in person. Thanks, Jay

Frank you sure? If indeed the Speedhuts do, it is not the same blueish tint that Im most familiar with on watches, that the OEMs clearly have

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sorry Jay, my question was Franks (fjpikul) statement that he thought they were. Im questioning that.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, my comment was about OEM

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Cool, then I would say the speedhuts dont have an AR coating. I still went with them, they are all working still after 2 years.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I haven’t had any glare issues

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Me neither, was just something that I had noticed that was different than the OEM, when I installed the Speedhuts

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Is it possible? After multiple attempts, finally got the gauge cluster out! Replaced tach, still not working!! New tach's needle was sitting at 6000 before hooking up and not moving!!?? Made sure battery was charged before turning ignition on, Did not go back to zero with ignition on, once car fired up, no movement, Doubt wiring issue, Old tach did typical "slow die" before going out, Any suggestions??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Gene, I'm really sorry to hear that we haven't been able to get this problem behind you. Assuming that you have the connector of the new tach fully snapped into place, then the primary likelihood is that your new tach is bad :( Locally, "we" (that means Ryan) just replaced a tach for a local customer and all was great. The new tach was straight from Ford inventory.

I've said it before - perhaps even in this thread, but I think the following process should ALWAYS be followed when starting these cars.

1. Key to full "on" position
2. WAIT until odometer display appears
3. Press START button to fire engine.

The WAIT in step 2. allows enough time for the gauge control module to sync with all of the gauges.

Gene, I wish I had something better to tell you, but I think your new tach was DOA (dead on arrival) and assuming you got it through Ford, they should exchange it for you.

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've said it before - perhaps even in this thread, but I think the following process should ALWAYS be followed when starting these cars.

The WAIT in steps two allows enough time for the gauge control module to sync with all of the gauges.

I've always followed this procedure. It has treated me well but it seems like forever when people are waiting for the start. Gauges are still good though (fingers crossed) - I assume its mostly luck.

I also have the gauge protection circuit designed and discussed here....

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Thanks, I follow the up procedure after reading about it years ago. Interesting the gauge light works but that's it. I am returning it. Have you ever seen a "control module" go, as suggested in the workshop manual?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thankfully, we haven't yet had to address a bad control module. They are VERY expensive. With only the tach out, my guess is that it is not the control module. Did you source the tach from Ford? They should exchange it for you. Sometimes they are grumpy about exchanging electrical parts but this one appears to be dead on arrival. Keep us posted!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

The WAIT in step 2. allows enough time for the gauge control module to sync with all of the gauges.

Probably a good practice to follow, but not a solution in and of itself for the gauge issue. I still do wait to start the car even with Speedhut gauges.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
INTERESTING FOLLOW UP. I called Ford dealer who sold me the Tach. He inturn called Ford. Instructions were to plug into car's electronic access port (via VSM2)., to check control module first. When booting up he went through gauge sequence. As stated above Tach arrived with needle at 6000, when car started went clockwise as far as possible and stayed there. he was able to zero the gauge and now functions normally??!! Is this common? I tried old tach thinking it may work, unfortunately it didn't!!