Replacing gauges

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I know this is an old topic,and I have search it elsewhere and read the "how to", but i cannot seem to get the gauge cluster completely out!! I am trying to replace my tach (no reliable help close to me or my time could surely be put to better use than all the hours I have spent so far on this project!!).

I can get it to come out about one inch then it gets caught behind the fuel gauge on top and behind the speedo where the bracket hits the dash surround! despite lifting the inner dash for clearance, and pushing the speedo from behind (i removed the entire lower panel that is leather covered to access this area)!

Is it necessary to remove the bracket behind the speedo for clearance?, or can the plastic around the dash be easily disassembled? before I start dismantling the entire dash, I am looking for advice. From what I have read, some instrument clusters are easier than others to pull!! I suspect that some clusters require a few more steps (or tricks) to remove!!

Thanks

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Ouch you've done much more work than needed!! It's pretty simple...even I could do it with Kendall's step by step. Stop until you find the thread with the details. I'll look to see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I bumped it to the top of new posts. I'm on my phone so didn't know how to copy and paste.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have it on my laptop and followed closely, but still getting "hung up" in areas described. Because of low production numbers I believe some are easier than others. Looking for others who ran into similiar experience and what they did.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I assume you unplugged the wiring harness in the footwell??

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I found that I had to really work hard to free up enough play with the main electrical harness before I could release the gauges and the one piece panel.

DC-DD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2010
PA / FL
Make sure you disconnect the harness plug first then there is a plastic wire support clip that you need to pop out of its hole that will free up the wire to be able to move as you lift out the cluster. You may have to get back under dash footwell after pulling the cluster out so far and wiggle the harness plug through the dash support as it is a tight fit.

Dominic

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Gene
My dash was pretty sticky, I found using a bent puller tool on the right side screw HOLE at one end help wiggle dash out, then pull from the left, alternating, 2 people working helped, I think bottom came out first, tool picture attached.

Attachments

• bent puller.jpg
    bent puller.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 420

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Is it really necessary to unplug wiring harness since I am only tilting it forward ? I have read it should at least tilt forward!. I like the tool! I have been trying with an angled Allen wrench ! But having a handle to pull looks good ! Thanks. I like the 2 person advice.! Waiting for my son to get home!
Does the left pull out first ? The speedo bracket seems to be getting hung up to the right!

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Gene

I did not unplug the entire wire harness and yes mine flopped forward, we just cut the alligator clips behind holding wires to gage brackets, then the gages un plugged, but this makes the job much tighter to get fingers in, get gage bracket nuts on and off for example, very tight.
I only did this once so I can't remember exactly, believe left side came little loose then down a bit, then right side came out more, we went very slowly, careful not to over pull if panel got hung up, using puller tool side to side wiggling panel, if it got hung up we stopped and put panel back and tried again, the upper leather dash was getting in the way and the hole job was tight, wondered why it was not designed to take apart easier. It was challenging and we even stopped and left it for a bit, then came back later, I was nervous about scratches on dash from tool (lots tape) or marking the leather (lots tape), it does go in easier if that's any consolation.
Have you considered a local Ford dealer mechanic who has done this on another car?

Steve

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Ford dealers where I live have never really serviced one, few were sold and left the area. will keep at it, puller tool makes sense. As the weather gets colder here maybe things will get easier!
Thanks all for the input

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Gene,

No two cars seem to be alike when removing the gauge cluster. Some are easier than others. As I'm pretty sure the GT is not your DD and you don't need to hurry, just don't let it get you too frustrated! I DO think you'd be well-served to disconnect the harness from underneath (2 connectors) and push the harness up towards the back of the dash. This is to make sure the harness is not restricting you. Also, double check your tape on the binnacle as you want to insure it remains covered. Sometimes popping out the right side 1/2" or so will give you more room to get the left side out. Stay with it. You'll get it!

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Simon Sez:
"Where did you find a New Tach. ?"

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I bought all small replacement gauges through auto meter. Tach as well was not working. Went to meet in detroit and had GT guys replace them. Unfortunately tach was on backorder, so only small gauges were replaced. I watched Rich remove dash, seemed fairly straight forward!! I ordered new tach through local Ford dealer with my vin #, took 1 month to arrive!!..I still have not got dash out despite 2-3 tries! (embarrassing!). Maybe cold garage, plastic does not want to give! Hope to have replaced by spring!! Trying not to get too frustrated and cause damage!! Replacing the shifter to short throw was a "piece of cake" compared to removing the dash!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The Speed hut gauges are really nice .
Rich and Dennis make the bezels and backing plate look as original as possible.I personally like the shift lights on the tach. The larger numbers on the gauges make it really easy to read as well.

Attachments

• 12191730_10208298881698017_1343562718195974999_n.jpg
    12191730_10208298881698017_1343562718195974999_n.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4118.jpg
    IMG_4118.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Agree Ron. Love your steering wheel,with the alacantra. Where can I get that done ?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Agree Ron. Love your steering wheel,with the alacantra. Where can I get that done ?
GT guys

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Do these gauges have AR (antireflective) coatings?

spineracer

GT Owner
Jan 5, 2014
Metro NY
I found that there is a black plastic wire tie that holds the wire harness. There is a plug that is part of the wire tie that is inserted into a metal support. You need to grab it and pull forward (towards front of car). Note: Facing the gauges, the wire tie is located on the left side. Use a small mirror to see it if necessary. The cluster will then slide out. Also protect from scratches the top side on the plastic steering column with tape .

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes they have anti-glare coatings.