Recommendations for incoming NFGT

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Paint correction is personal decision, not necessary or unnecessary. The GT paint is generally very good. It is not perfect, or anywhere close to perfect. It can be improved significantly like any production car paint can. The car will have haze from being polished but not finished down to the point of absolute clarity. Some people care. Some people do not. PPF will obscure lots of imperfections, more on some colors than others. If I had a black car I would do it without question. If I had a white car, meh, maybe not. I'll let you guess which parts have been paint corrected and which were not. All pics are of cars in delivery condition.

Car 1

image000000.jpg

Car 2

image000000 3.jpg

image000000 2.jpg

image000000-4-1.jpg

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Car 3

image000000-6.jpg

image000000-8.jpg

image000000-9.jpgimage000000-10.jpg

Last edited:

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
As Dave explained, Paint finish imperfections or blemishes are much more noticeable on Dark or Black paint. Not so much on White Or Light colors. We wanted mirror finish on Black GT, so we elected to have paint correction performed prior to PPF.

We went with SunTec. Again- personal preference.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Like Frank above, I could fine ZERO local options for ANY windshield protection, so bought from a friend here, and coerced a tint guy to install.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My car has the stripe option. Can anyone advise if the Xpel should be placed in one sheet over the stripe or trim at the stripe? Thanks
Mine is one complete sheet. The stripes are a smooth transition from the paint, so I wouldn’t see the need to seam it.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ To emphasize Special K above, these cars have zero edge stripes. You will NOT want to seam the PPF, you will see (I know this from other peoples cars, as we are a "stripeless" family)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Milliken was a good choice. Their PPF guy has done many GTs. I had the Clearplex on the windshield at the same time as the PPF. No paint correction was done.

Ed

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'd let the shop that's doing the install, see the car first, examine the paint, and see if it needs correction. My guy has seen new cars that in his opinion, don't need correction, and many that do. Sure, there's an incentive to say do it ($$), but a good high end shop, that depends on referral, and repeat business, will only make a mistake like that one time with me!!!

Reactions: DakotaGT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I agree the paint work is excellent. But it doesn’t hurt to do the paint correction. Your spending a small fortune! So why not go all the way ? You won’t regret it!
Plus it’s a one time deal.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
No reason for paint correction. My guy said it was one of the best paint jobs he had seen on a new high end car. Make sure someone does clearplex No one in St Louis does it and I got it from one of the Forum members here and had a window tint guy do it. You should not let a clear bra place do it

Going to 2nd what Frank posted. Paint correction on these cars is a waste of money, Xpel PPF and Clearplex or other. For the record The other windshield film is Xoshield or something like that. It's been reported the have better visibility / lower distortion but that's because it's thinner material. If you are going to put film on the glass Simple logic is the thicker material provides greater protection. Mine has saved me dozens of times.. my 2 cents..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have Exoshield as well. My installer uses both. Prefers Exoshield.
The installers like to install the Exoshield because it's thinner a little more flexible and easier to work with.. I.e. easier to form etc. Couldn't say which offers more protection but either way you go you have something which is better than nothing.. :D

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It is insane to me that someone could look at the before and after pictures and deem it a “waste of money.” I can definitely see the case that “it’s money I personally wouldn’t spend” but it is so inarguably, objectively visibly improved that it’s mind boggling to me to consider it a waste of money.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Going to 2nd what Frank posted. Paint correction on these cars is a waste of money, Xpel PPF and Clearplex or other. For the record The other windshield film is Xoshield or something like that. It's been reported the have better visibility / lower distortion but that's because it's thinner material. If you are going to put film on the glass Simple logic is the thicker material provides greater protection. Mine has saved me dozens of times.. my 2 cents..

Thanks, Brian.

It is insane to me that someone could look at the before and after pictures and deem it a “waste of money.” I can definitely see the case that “it’s money I personally wouldn’t spend” but it is so inarguably, objectively visibly improved that it’s mind boggling to me to consider it a waste of money.

No disagreement from me that paint correction in those examples you showed would certainly be "worth it" to me, but those were dark colors, and metallic. I suspect that my color (brighter, solid, non-metallic) will probably be OK without the paint correction step, but I will just leave it to the shop to inspect it first and see what they think, and I will be at the mercy of their recommendation. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: THamonGT and JWZ

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I like the comments about windshield protection. Makes a lot of sense, and I might consider "better late than never" for my '06, but is there a problem with using the film and polarized glasses?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You have got to see a lot more cars than anyone. The one's I have seen didn't need any work. Some installers down here will recommend paint correction even if you don't need it so they can iup charge you.. That's what I deem a waste of money.
If you have visible paint flaws then it would be a choice to fix it now or later.

If you had some small isolated areas. I would put a small piece of film over the area to see if would hide the spot.
I have personally experienced and witnessed bad paint adhesion on these cars so some people may have a big surprise if they ever pull off their clear film.. Then their paint is gonna need more than a little correction..

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Talking about pulling off old film, my 05 black with silver stripes GT film has been on for 15 yrs now. Back then was “ partial wrap”. Seeing some yellowing where wrap is over silver stripes.
Would like to remove and do entire wrap. And advice from those who have experience about how to remove old film?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Talking about pulling off old film, my 05 black with silver stripes GT film has been on for 15 yrs now. Back then was “ partial wrap”. Seeing some yellowing where wrap is over silver stripes.
Would like to remove and do entire wrap. And advice from those who have experience about how to remove old film?
My film paint correction guy took all my old film off. It’s a real pain in the arse job!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
My film paint correction guy took all my old film off. It’s a real pain in the arse job!

I suppose that's what ya want it to be (y)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Removing older film SUCKS. You will need a lot of time. You will have, very sore, blistered and possibly bloody fingers. You will also be really tired of the adhesive remover smells. My understanding is that todays films are better, being removed, I guess I will find out someday.....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
On the topic of film removal, the biggest thing you can do to make life easy is apply even heat. It will make removal substantially easier, and in my opinion, less likely to mess with your paint. If you do it correctly, it will also leave substantially less adhesive. I run Infrared heat lamps typically used to cure ceramic coatings and heat the vehicle surface piece by piece. A large scale detail or PPF shop may have them. Most small or medium sized panels come off extremely quickly this way.

removal.jpg
r2.jpg