reason why you can't leave the new GT in track mode while not running?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Super terrible idea.

I agree. Those white ties on the springs would take a long time to install. He probably should use black ones so they blend in better.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I agree. Those white ties on the springs would take a long time to install. He probably should use black ones so they blend in better.

I’m going to see if they come in Riviera (DBK) Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Where's Indy's explanation? The viscoelastic, thermoplastic, turbo encabulator...

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Kevin, you're a GENIUS! :lol

Yeah except for the GT doesn't have an exposed coil-spring like that. LOL

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I imagine a line-lock system would work for your C & C mode. Place it on the line for lowering the suspension after the pump and wire the line-lock switch to the battery with an on/off switch. With the engine running, place car in max speed mode, turn ON the line-lock, turn engine off -- line-lock should hold the pressure in the line. When you re-start engine, don't forget to turn line-lock off or use a switch that detects the car being started and shuts line-lock off again.

You definitely could develop a line lock system to lock the pressure. But like Dave says it's a terrible idea..The hydraulic system is very complex. Not sure you'd want to void your warranty for the system just to be able to keep it in low mode for a while...:rolleyes

The hydraulic piping on this car is very vast and complex reminds me of the interior bay door of the Space Shuttle..:biggrin.. come on folks step right up. Pick a line any line!..:lol

Attachments

• 2018-11-20 20.08.20.jpg
    2018-11-20 20.08.20.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There is a device called an "actuator", and when it lowers, is physically compresses the internal higher riding coil spring, which then drops the car, to then ride on the lower riding torsion bars. This compression of the coil spring requires hydraulic force that is only available when the engine is running. Shut the car off, the compression is gone, and up it goes, back on the coil spring.

Im impressed!
It's stiil the coolest car at any C&C! Even if not in race mode!

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
So, you are telling me I have to keep the engine running for the entire C&C?

Ed

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
great info, thanks everyone!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Actually the hydraulic pump is electric. It runs all of the systems, aero, suspension and steering... the hydraulic pump is located in the front left corner of the car in front of the left front wheel. It's not an engine driven hydraulic pump like we have on the 05/06 car

The electric hydraulic pump would have a high amp draw and would drain the battery very quickly if the engine wasn't running and the alternator not pumping out electricity to keep up with the demand of the hydraulic pump.

Brian,

I didn’t say the hydraulic pump was engine driven, I said it only works while the engine is running and that it powers all systems that require hydraulic pressure including the power steering.

Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I didn’t say the hydraulic pump was engine driven, I said it only works while the engine is running and that it powers all systems that require hydraulic pressure including the power steering.

"The simplest answer is that the hydraulic pressure used to power your suspension comes from the GT's hydraulic power steering pump."

Some magazines have also written that the power steering pump operates other hydraulic systems. I'll take a stab at fixing this:

The GT's electric hydraulic pump powers the active suspension, the active aero, and the steering.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I really dont use emojiis (sp?) BUT...

:dead::dead::dead::dead:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It may be a dead horse to you, but I guarantee I'll be hearing at Cars and Coffee for years that the GT's power steering pump operates all hydraulic systems. Just like I still hear after 13 years that the GT has a truck engine.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Only if you go to Cars and Coffees for mechanics.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Only if you go to Cars and Coffees for mechanics.

I go there for the best coffee in the world.

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
"The simplest answer is that the hydraulic pressure used to power your suspension comes from the GT's hydraulic power steering pump."

Some magazines have also written that the power steering pump operates other hydraulic systems. I'll take a stab at fixing this:

The GT's electric hydraulic pump powers the active suspension, the active aero, and the steering.

That's not quite correct. There's a master hydraulic system that runs different systems . steering is one of them. People don't understand it because it's never been done on a road car..

the reason people want to see it drop is because they only know airbag systems .When you deflate them allows the car to drop. this system it's not like that and completely different to what most people know.

Yea and I hear this all the time at the car shows. "Oh you mean that car has an alternator and needs electricity to operate?? oh my God how archaic I wouldn't drive it!."..:lol

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian,

Chip

Sorry for misinterpreting your post :)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
That's night that's not quite correct. There's a master hydraulic system that runs different systems . steering is one of them. People don't understand it because it's never been done on a road car..

the reason people want to see it drop is because they only know airbag systems .When you deflate them allows the car to drop. this system it's not like that and completely different to what most people know.

Yea and I hear this all the time at the car shows. "Oh you mean that car has an alternator and needs electricity to operate?? oh my God how archaic I wouldn't drive it!."..:lol

...and that’s why you never want to wreck the car at the front driver’s side corner, coz that’s where all the hydraulic stuff sits - I couldn’t believe the size of the frigging accumulator there when I saw my car ‘naked’ at MM

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Obviously not knowing this specific hydraulic system, and not owning a NGT (but very hopeful!) - it seems conceptually possible to use the accumulator to keep pressure to the lowering system. If/when the pressure gradually bleeds off, the car would slowly rise back up to its normal resting height.

But certainly there were design decisions otherwise......

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
If the people at Cars and Coffee are not impressed by your new Ford GT because when parked it doesn’t go into “Track Mode” then there is no hope for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
So, you are telling me I have to keep the engine running for the entire C&C?

Ed

Haha. Genius. Problem solved. No zip ties needed.