reason why you can't leave the new GT in track mode while not running?

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
one of the most common questions I get is why can't you leave the car in track mode with the car off, keeping it in the lowered mode... is there a technical reason? It's probably been posted on here, but I can' find it...

thanks!

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Yeah, it’s called C&C mode and does not exist. LOL

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
:agree::lol

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
From what I understand , the engine needs to be running to keep pressure to the hydraulic system to keep it down.
I would bet at some point someone will make an aftermarket device that will keep pressure so it will have the C&C mode. :wink

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is a device called an "actuator", and when it lowers, is physically compresses the internal higher riding coil spring, which then drops the car, to then ride on the lower riding torsion bars. This compression of the coil spring requires hydraulic force that is only available when the engine is running. Shut the car off, the compression is gone, and up it goes, back on the coil spring.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sadly, you'll all have to live with parking with the wing up at C&C. Because you never know when you'll need downforce.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The hydraulic system runs at around 1500 PSI. It takes the full pressure of the system to raise and lower the car. Ford always need to take into account the worst case scenario. If the car was left in the low mode for an extended period of time the seals would give out. Which is true with about anything that runs on hydraulic pressure.. Your 4 post lift for example. if you have one you know to need to lower it to the safety lock to take off the pressure...
Most of these car just sit in garages or mancaves for display and if possible I'm sure most would be parked in low mode to show off to their friends and eventually you would see puddles of fluid on the ground.. It's really not a Ford or GT question it's hydraulics 101.. :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank God Indy didn't answer this question.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
:lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Brooks,

The simplest answer is that the hydraulic pressure used to power your suspension comes from the GT's hydraulic power steering pump. Unlike most new cars the GT does not use electric power steering as hydraulic power steering provides better feel and provides a source of hydraulic pressure for a couple other systems including the rear wing and suspension. It takes a lot of pressure to compress and lock out the GT springs. That pump only works while the car is running so Track Mode stops working when you turn off the engine for the same reason your power steering stops working, because the hydraulic power steering pump quits working. Cheers.

Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Waiting for a few more to say the same thing before I begin to give any credence to these outlandish theories.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Waiting for a few more to say the same thing before I begin to give any credence to these outlandish theories.

OK then. The real reason is......'just because'!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thank God Indy didn't answer this question.

:facepalm::rofl:rofl ..... days not over yet ..... :biggrin:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brooks,

The simplest answer is that the hydraulic pressure used to power your suspension comes from the GT's hydraulic power steering pump. Unlike most new cars the GT does not use electric power steering as hydraulic power steering provides better feel and provides a source of hydraulic pressure for a couple other systems including the rear wing and suspension. It takes a lot of pressure to compress and lock out the GT springs. That pump only works while the car is running so Track Mode stops working when you turn off the engine for the same reason your power steering stops working, because the hydraulic power steering pump quits working. Cheers.

Chip

Actually the hydraulic pump is electric. It runs all of the systems, aero, suspension and steering... the hydraulic pump is located in the front left corner of the car in front of the left front wheel. It's not an engine driven hydraulic pump like we have on the 05/06 car

The electric hydraulic pump would have a high amp draw and would drain the battery very quickly if the engine wasn't running and the alternator not pumping out electricity to keep up with the demand of the hydraulic pump.

Attachments

• 2018-11-20 17.57.57.jpg
    2018-11-20 17.57.57.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Actually the hydraulic pump is electric. It runs all of the systems, aero, suspension and steering... the hydraulic pump is located in the front left corner of the car in front of the left front wheel. It's not an engine driven hydraulic pump like we have on the 05/06 car

Cool photo, and good to know. Since it is electric, it should be easy for some industrious person to develop a "hack" to allow for leaving it in track mode with the engine off, at least for short periods (if that is important to some).

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Here’s a hack:
The next time it’s in track mode, do this:
63a2e0dd747a08f23fe987427e5af87a.png

You’re welcome![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Cool photo, and good to know. Since it is electric, it should be easy for some industrious person to develop a "hack" to allow for leaving it in track mode with the engine off, at least for short periods (if that is important to some).

I imagine a line-lock system would work for your C & C mode. Place it on the line for lowering the suspension after the pump and wire the line-lock switch to the battery with an on/off switch. With the engine running, place car in max speed mode, turn ON the line-lock, turn engine off -- line-lock should hold the pressure in the line. When you re-start engine, don't forget to turn line-lock off or use a switch that detects the car being started and shuts line-lock off again.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Super terrible idea.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So directly opposite the the battery, wonder if their weights offset?

the hydraulic pump is located in the front left corner of the car in front of the left front wheel.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Here’s a hack:
The next time it’s in track mode, do this:
63a2e0dd747a08f23fe987427e5af87a.png

You’re welcome![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kevin, you're a GENIUS! :lol