Rally 9

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Vegas in October......the weather is perfect!

Even Darth Vader says Sin City. Do you really want to piss him off?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Vegas in October......the weather is perfect!

Unfortunately, it snows in October quite often....perhaps a little bit earlier?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Rocky Mountain High

Gentlemen,

We have done Las Vegas but I do love Spring Mountain. My vote would be Colorado. Amazing roads up in the Rockies, great restaurants, and it's cool and beautiful. I've been to all 8 Rallies so my vote counts more than all of your votes!! :banana

Chip

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Lets rally like real car guys...

Having had the pleasure of filming the Copper State Rally a few years back I have to say the format is exceptional and I think it may deserve consideration for our group. Its a traveling rally, in 2011 the first two nights were in Greer AZ, Winslow AZ for one night (yes, you can stand on the corner), to Sedona & finally back to Scottsdale. These guys have been putting this event on since 1990, & cater to guys like Walton so the accommodations should be satisfactory for most of us - whatever combination of locations, roads and/or track we choose. Plus, Sedona & Scottsdale HAVE to be in the top 5% for the women in the group, so that's an easy sell.
I have a reasonable enough relationship with some of the people that run the rally (or have run it) that I'm sure I could get all the info needed to make things happen without a lot of hassle for DBK.

Here's more info - http://www.mensartscouncil.com/cs/

And one of my working maps of that particular route - http://goo.gl/maps/xAItd

Oh, you may notice some DPS officers on motorcycles in some of the gallery photos, it sure was nice to know we could travel with an increased level of safety on the beautiful roads of AZ.

If not AZ, I'm with Chip on Colorado.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Road Atlanta. Curves and hills on and off the course.

I get the pull of Las Vegas, but, for me, it will be a let down after Sonoma.

Although I would love the Rally in my area and Road Atlanta is a beautiful road course but lots of close concrete and steel. Chateau Elan is the nearest place to host but other the the track, driving school and drag strip it is in the middle of nowhere. Close to Atlanta but that side of town is traffic hell.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Newfoundland! South Carolina! Ohio! Colorado! Hawaii! Florida! New Hampshire! Alberta!

Time to have the monkey throw a dart at the map on the wall.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I like Chips idea for Colorado.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Any chance of having the rally earlier, before school starts?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Colorado sounds good to me if they've recovered from the flooding

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I've wondered about Colorado myself. Not just that it is close to me, but lots of culture and night life, scenic roads, etc.

Anyone familiar with the new track they built out east of town? I've been wanting to check it out.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Gentlemen,

We have done Las Vegas but I do love Spring Mountain. My vote would be Colorado. Amazing roads up in the Rockies, great restaurants, and it's cool and beautiful. I've been to all 8 Rallies so my vote counts more than all of your votes!! :banana

Chip

I second this one. Done several bike rallies in Durango and the town really supports these events. The roads in the area are amazing...Million Dollar Highway, San Juan Skyway, Black Canyon of the Gunnison etc etc. Great hotels, our family owns a house there and we know the town well, would be very willing to help any way possible with this one. Oh, and LOTS for the rest of the family to do. Its a tourist town!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Really intended to do R3 there. Had logo done and everything...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Geographical Balance

I've been to all 8 Rallies so my vote counts more than all of your votes!! :bananaChip

Chipper, not so fast my friend! I too have been to every rally so I am at least on par with your vote…

And thanks Ralphie for your well developed thoughts as well.

In the beginning, way back when the annual rally notion was presented, a rational approach was taken to try to distribute the rally east/west across the countryside to assuage the west coast ownership one year and the east coasters the next. Try to make it fair for transportation/travel costs.

Kickoff was obviously in Detroit to see the last of our cars come off the Wixom production line. What a sight and what a great gathering of passionate FGT owners. Hey this guy DBK really can pull off a great event for not knowing anyone. His Dad should be proud. And owner’s are just leaving their car keys at the front desk to have some local mechanics work on their car overnight? Really????

Next, we went West coast to Orange County with an autocross at an old airfield. Nice party at Stillen and car museum at Peterson. Fantastic mountain drives as some had clutch fluid boiling issues. Intro the “charity auction”.

Carroll Shelby “asked” us to have R3 in Las Vegas. Out of sync with our east/west intension but as his health was failing, how could you say no to Carroll? Our membership had its largest attendance rally ever and we tracked our cars inside Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Epic auction of the Ford CP development GTs and enter the Camilo/Heffner red/Heritage rocketship.

We again stayed out of original rotation rhythm with R4 being held west of the Mississippi in Austin Texas. The large Texas ownership population was happy and tracking our cars at Texas World Speedway was fun, but hot. Another great rally and my car traveled to Texas in the transporter beneath Shelby’s Veyron (which later took a bath).

R5 finally got back to rotation logic and was held in Cary, North Carolina with track time at Virginia International Raceway. Unfortunately an east coast tropical depression worked its way along the coast commensurate with the rally and so we carefully practiced our driving line with wet track conditions. McGowan and Martindale thrilled us with unbelievable wet track rides in a pre-Boss/GT500 and Ray showed us what 300’ rooster tails looked like. Still had a great time with great people.

Back out West in Utah for R6 in Salt Lake City. Miller MotorSport’s track facility was just fantastic as were the Ford museum and dining facilities. Costly to be sure but simply a spectacular track for our cars with picturesque mountain views. Rocketman thrilled Forum membership folk with rides around the track in his car. I would vote for a repeat here in a New York minute.

New Orleans is “on” the Mississippi river so we can count this (graciously) as an east coast venue for R7. DBK scores another great track find at NOLA and track owners Lancy and Ruth even threw us an amazing impromptu cocktail party at one of their downtown homes. FR500 track rentals were a bonus for some FTG owners who came sans cars and the New Orleans night life and cooking were legendary.

Again back out to California for R8 in the wine country. As this rally is still fresh on our minds, I need not say anymore than just another spectacular DBK event. (as they all are…)

As can be seen, rally location focus has really fallen to the western region. Yes, I realize the weather considerations and quite possibly geographical ownership considerations weight in favor of these venues. And I sense that as our cars continue to escalate in value perhaps that gives some owners pause for concern of putting this value at risk on the track. Track days are fun, but the absence of a “track” day at this year’s rally did not seem to discourage anyone’s payback for one great event. The spirited driving down the PCH and Ed's routing to Tahoe in the post rally were enormously fun and challenging!

Las Vegas/Pahrump/Spring Mountain would be a great time. I have been to Pahrump with Mr. Cantwell’s organized track event several years ago. (can you say FLEX?) And our rally has been to Las Vegas before. Great time. But we certainly have not run out of other cities to consider.

I would like to see, as others have commented, a rally held in/around Birmingham, AL (Skip Barber track is close by) or the Atlanta, GA area (Road Atlanta). Not really east coast but south. Just my two cents on the topic to balance out what Chip says.:wink

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Wow! Bill, what a great executive summary of Rally history. As a relative noob, this stuff is so cool to me. :)

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
OK, I have seen lots of input, some speaking up for venues close to home. Who can blame them? I live close to that tourist mecca, Branson, and will make my pitch for it. Can 8 million tourists annually be wrong? And recently, it has been mentioned in movies like “She’s out of your league” and the Bourne Identity (Nixa was Jason’s birthplace and it’s just up a twisty road from here.)

Why the Ozarks/Branson?

- Location: its in the middle of the country!! Dr Frank, Grey Ghost, Dave Trumbo, SSRob, and Lightning would not have far to drive. Neither would Ronnie Cline, his son, and Shelby's crew. Jonesboro is a half day away.
- Great Hotels: Big Cedar Lodge is a great place, but parking could be an issue, so I would pick Chateau on the Lake, which has covered parking and is a great hotel.
- Weather: Late summer and fall in this area have great temperatures, little rain, and the fall colors can be spectacular.
- Airports: Two. One in Branson (Southwest Airlines, Frontier), another in Springfield.
- Roads: The roads around here can be spectacular for driving: twisty, hilly, and not many cars during the week. Weekends can be a problem as the Harleys and cycles can take over the popular roads, and they like to ride SLOW. Then there are the retirees clogging up the spaces between the bikes…
- Restaurants: Some really good ones are available. A popular one has servers throwing dinner rolls at you when you want one. Cole Hamels, Phillies pitcher, is building a home in the area and its rumored he will retire here and teach the throwers how to hit what they aim at.
- Wives entertainment: A good friend is Head Chef at a very good restaurant here, and he would love to offer a cooking class. Branson Landing has some unique shopping. There are also Quilting Classes available!
- After Hours entertainment: For all those growing up with 60s and 70s music, guess what, it moved to Branson! Nothing like a geriatric star of yesteryear “belting out” their hits!
- Wineries: We have some! Never heard of a fine Ozark wine? Neither had I until I moved here! Plus if you want to go “local”, there are rumors of moonshiners in the area.
- Manufacturing: Meth is a big industry here……’nuff said.
- Museums: One at the College of the Ozarks has the Model T from the Beverly Hillbillies TV series! Another has the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard! On a serious note, one old timer here has a private warehouse full of antique cars from a 1934? Packard he got when he went to college in the fifties to some 60s muscle cars. He also has the world’s largest collection of outboard motors, and a hangar full of classic planes.
- Tracks: For those insisting on track time, there are at least 6 GoKart tracks in Branson…..I know, I know, its not the same as taking your GT on the track. One local is working on permits to put in a NASCAR track with an infield circuit.

If I have not made a strong enough case for Branson, I will cede to those locations with good track facilities, good roads for a day trip/trips in the area, and good food. Another consideration is for what is available before and after the Rally as some of us love to go early and stay late so we can max out the time in our cars, and with our friends.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Really intended to do R3 there. Had logo done and everything...

Gentlemen,

I appreciate what Indy Bill says above, but keep in mind that Rally 10 has already been locked in (Detroit) as an Eastern U.S. event so an event in the center of the country would be appropriate I believe. Let me point out that Denver is 200 miles closer to Indianapolis than it is to L.A. Denver is just over 1080 miles driving for Indy and just under 1000 miles for the Phoenix Forum members. We could do one track day, some amazing road rallying, and because it's cool there the Rally could be in August and Charley could come!!!

With R10 in Detroit, R8 in CA, central U.S. for R9 just makes sense and that means Colorado. Cheers.

Chip

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I feel sorry for David making the call but it is nice to hear all the ideas.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Gentlemen,

I appreciate what Indy Bill says above, but keep in mind that Rally 10 has already been locked in (Detroit) as an Eastern U.S. event so an event in the center of the country would be appropriate I believe. Let me point out that Denver is 200 miles closer to Indianapolis than it is to L.A. Denver is just over 1080 miles driving for Indy and just under 1000 miles for the Phoenix Forum members. We could do one track day, some amazing road rallying, and because it's cool there the Rally could be in August and Charley could come!!!

With R10 in Detroit, R8 in CA, central U.S. for R9 just makes sense and that means Colorado. Cheers.

Chip
Im with Chip on this one,But August will not work for me.Oct is a nice month!
Really I'll go anywhere my GT buddies are!
I am however in favor of a track event! Even though that means a lot of work for me.I'll drag Andy into anyway!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
October in Colorado Ron? :lol

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Would have to be EARLY October! Like Septober early.