:cheers
Anders

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Infineon Raceway, Sears Point, California. San Francisco and Napa next door. Foothills of the Sierra Nevada? Weather perfect! Ed Sims and Ralphie would know.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Infineon Raceway, Sears Point, California. San Francisco and Napa next door. Foothills of the Sierra Nevada? Weather perfect! Ed Sims and Ralphie would know.

California is the only state where the temps are decent during the summer...
Overheating was a real issue for a lot of guys last week.

I know we can't always have a rally there but darn, weather is so important since everywhere else seems to be cooking in the summer..

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
lets go in the fall.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
California is the only state where the temps are decent during the summer... overheating was a real issue for a lot of guys
last week. I know we can't always have a rally there but darn, weather is so important since everywhere else seems to be cooking in the summer..

WI is beautiful in late August. ;)

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
lets go in the fall.

Could do September.. May, early June.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
California is the only state where the temps are decent during the summer...
Overheating was a real issue for a lot of guys last week.

I know we can't always have a rally there but darn, weather is so important since everywhere else seems to be cooking in the summer..

Couldn't agree more, I could only get 2 1/2 laps before the GT went into"limp home" mode at Miller. It is a beautiful track but the altitude and temperature made for a less than satisfactory track experience. Sears Point is a great destination with lots to do and see and many great restaurants near by. I attended the 2010 SAAC convention there and it was perfect both on and off track.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I have an idea, November in Austin. Cool weather, great city, and I know its the second time around, but how about some F1! Too bad they wont let us on the track....yet.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Snoop D.O. double B.K. -

My vote is ANY track I can practice on Forza!! :)

And cool weather! Actually, I didn't think Miller was *that* bad - it's got to be pretty cold outside to keep the GT cool while flogging it on the track.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
It does not get much better than Wisconsin in the fall.

Road America

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Venum, the only hotel that is reasonable with covered parking is the Kohler. A little far from the track. Colder temps make for loose tires and lots of spins. The track owners do not treat racers very well. I'd go there if we had to, but I'd rather be someplace else.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
The track owners do not treat racers very well.

Maybe its just you, Frank.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Venum, the only hotel that is reasonable with covered parking is the Kohler. A little far from the track. Colder temps make for loose tires and lots of spins. The track owners do not treat racers very well. I'd go there if we had to, but I'd rather be someplace else.

The Oshtoff has about 100 covered spots between two underground garages and individual garages. They are usually quite accommodating. Has anyone ever called to talk seriously with them?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, they do have covered parking. Unfortunately, almost all the places are condos and it's impossible to rent them all for a party our size, AND, many don't want to rent to racers. I spent many months trying to work this out for a small party for the Kohler Invitational several years ago. Even Milwaukee doesn't have anything really that great. If it's race season, things are even worse. The people at the track outright lied to me several times about what was available at the track. Everyplace we've been so far have been far nicer to deal with.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Frank, I am surprised. Im in Elkhart 3-4 times per year, always for races, and have never had anything but good experiences with the Oshtoff.

Its a shame they have a bad rep with you because it is truly an amazing track. In my book, at least, its a top 2 in North America.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
On an individual basis they will work with you, no problem. But try to swing a group (we're at least 80 cars - sometimes over a 100, plus trailers, RV's, etc) and it's a whole new story. I don't think this crowd is ready for sleepy little Elkhart Lake either. That's why I had hoped Milwaukee would work out, but again, at least an hour from the track, no real "luxury" accomodations or car care.

Since Atlanta just got hit by the storm, maybe they will need some business next year. Road Atlanta/Road America, sound kinda the same.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
So let the games begin! Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham Alabama is gorgeous and the museum is nonpareil.

I second, third, and fourth that motion. I've been a big proponent of Barber for many years. It's time to bring the rally back east (south?) for 2012. Plus, there are great roads for the drive, and a great aviation museum and lot's of Tennessee whiskey making its way across the border!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I have been to both Barber Motorsports Park and Road America, either track is top notch and FGT worthy. Barber is close to Birmingham with great places to stay and a better air port. September can still be not in Birmingham and cool in Wisconsin. October in Alabama should be OK and I am going to Road America Oct 15 & 16, will report back on condition. Can’t hold anything against Road America for giving Frank a hard time, we all do that because it's fun!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have been to both Barber Motorsports Park and Road America, either track is top notch and FGT worthy....

Any noise limitations at either track?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Any noise limitations at either track?

LOL, yes, you would have to worry about that no doubt! LOL