Raised white letters on tires

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I'll probably order a set anyway. I just thought I would thow this out there. I usually get some good feedback here.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeah, I'll probably order a set anyway. I just thought I would thow this out there. I usually get some good feedback here.

Which tires are you getting these for? The Hoosiers?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm going to try it out on the Bridgestone tires. The Hoosier lettering didn't look like it filled the tire sidewall enough.

After talking to my local, expert on everything, shop guy he said that they use superglue-like adhesives on a lot high wear items and he didn't feel like this would be an issue. He was more concerned hard cornering.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Here are my Goodyear G-19s as they come from the factory.

Ed

Attachments

• DSC07169.jpg
    DSC07169.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 415

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Did any original GT40s run lettered tires ?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did any original GT40s run lettered tires ?

I see some, I thought maybe many ran Goodyear Billboards like the Cobras but the letters are smaller on most of these;

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26555-GT-40-Photo-Appreciation&highlight=gt40

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Take another look at the pics in post #14. Those are glue on. That's how crappy they will look with some age on them.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They do look bad, but it looks like he caught a curb.

On his application video, they never looked good to begin with. I think because he put "EGARAGE" over the top of the raised Michelin script as opposed to fitting letters inside the outlined letters on the tires.

But I am just guessing. :shrug

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

On his application video, they never looked good to begin with. I think because he put "EGARAGE" over the top of the raised Michelin script as opposed to fitting letters inside the outlined letters on the tires.

After sending in some measurements, I ordered a set of the letters. I asked if you would be able to see the outlines of the letters on the tire if I went with the larger billboard font similar to the prototype. They are apparently a rubber like material that is .06" thick so it shouldn't be an issue. I just went with the 1:1 size because you would have to freehand the larger size. Knowing me, I'd make them crooked for sure.
Once I get the letters, ill post some pics an decide if I even want to do it at all.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Send a picture when it’s done. I’m going to give it try on the Bridgestone tires.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Take another look at the pics in post #14. Those are glue on. That's how crappy they will look with some age on them.

Check the video again. Those aren't glued on. Looks like a painted-on vinyl/latex. Likely not as durable as the glued-on letters.

The Tredwear letters have been shipped out and I should have them early next week. Unfortunately, I won't have much time to get the tires cleaned and apply these things until probably the week after. I'll post up some pics once I'm done.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Got the letters a few days ago. All of them have a protective layer that you peel off before application, so I don't know exactly what they look like yet. Just need to find some time to clean the tires and hunker down for the sure to be tedious process of gluing all of them on. Stay tuned.....

97FA0F29-5801-4751-A5DD-0AE9010949F5-3034-000003A16139D048_zpsfc80f00e.jpg

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Good Luck Ed.
What will you use to clean the rubber??

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Good Luck Ed.
What will you use to clean the rubber??

Vendor said I could use Dawn to clean the tires. I'll do that or just use some Zep Purple Degreaser. That stuff is harsh as hell though.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
He told me to use carb cleaner or similar solvent.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
He told me to use carb cleaner or similar solvent.

I have a can of brake cleaner which is similar (the same??). Purpose is to remove all the oils/grease, so I suppose any of the above would work as well.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Man, don't get any of that stuff on your painted wheels!

Reactions: 2112

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Finally got around to it. I'll get some better outdoor pics tomorrow at the airstrip.
IMG_2304_zps78e14b0b.jpg

IMG_2302_zps0bec4189.jpg

IMG_2303_zps1474e8dd.jpg

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Ya know, that looks pretty damn good.

Howard

KJRGT

GT Owner