Raised white letters on tires

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The Iron Cross product seems like it would be a durable alternative and certainly much less time consuming than painting individual letters and numbers. But EACH tire costs $25. If it looks like hell in real life, well, that's $100 in the toilet. I'm not even sure they could be removed if they did look like crap.
Regardless, I just emailed them to see if they even have the templates for the Goodyears already made.

Go ahead and experiment with the Goodyears, you will want to move into the vastly superior Bridgestones soon anyway.. :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Go ahead and experiment with the Goodyears, you will want to move into the vastly superior Bridgestones soon anyway.. :lol

Oh man. Don't get me started. Tires are just a whole other nightmare for me. The 'stones are the obvious favorite here, but I may want to go with Hoosier R6's or play the waiting game and hope Michelin comes out with a 345/40/19 MPSS or MPSC for the rear......

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Well, the others you mentioned are pretty awesome too. I wouldn't hold my breath for The Michelin Man making the size you mentioned tho due to OEM sizing being limited to (to my knowledge) the Enzo.

You still make a strong argument to experiment with the GY's :wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To me, raised whites belong soley on muscle cars...'70 Chevelle SS 454s and the like...the cars that came with 'em from the factory. 'Same can be said regarding chrome plated wheels.

None of today's exotics (of which I'm aware anyway) leave the factory equipped with either.

Buuuuuuuuuut, what do I know. 'Just my personal preference/opinion regardless.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I may give the Iron Cross option a try (whenever I get my car?!?!). I measured the letting on the Hoosiers in my garage and they are only 1", so the price would be more like $12 a tire.

photo.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
To me, raised whites belong soley on muscle cars...'70 Chevelle SS 454s and the like...the cars that came with 'em from the factory. 'Same can be said regarding chrome plated wheels.

None of today's exotics (of which I'm aware anyway) leave the factory equipped with either.

Buuuuuuuuuut, what do I know. 'Just my personal preference/opinion regardless.

It was on all the concept cars. Camilo wanted to do it.

ford_GT40-03-1024.jpg

3519-2a.jpg

ford_2002-GT40_Concept-009_1.jpg

Ford-GT40_Concept_2002_800x600_wallpaper_1d.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Maybe they should rethink that.....

Attachments

• 1muscle_.jpg
    1muscle_.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 627

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I love that red beast. The new Viper should have looked more like that. Then they'd have had something.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The F12 should have looked more like that.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well, the others you mentioned are pretty awesome too. I wouldn't hold my breath for The Michelin Man making the size you mentioned tho due to OEM sizing being limited to (to my knowledge) the Enzo.

You still make a strong argument to experiment with the GY's :wink

I'm willing to be the guinea pig as long as they can be removed without f'ing up the tires. Waiting to hear back about availability.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What are everyone's thoughts about doing the decals like the GT prototype? i.e. larger font?

DBK: Were the prototype wheels/tires still 18 front/19 rear?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Once you try a different tire, you won't care what happens to the RWL on the GYs. :wink

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What are everyone's thoughts about doing the decals like the GT prototype? i.e. larger font?

DBK: Were the prototype wheels/tires still 18 front/19 rear?

A lot of people liked that look of the prototype wheel more than the released options. I remember at least two people who looked into having the prototype wheels made but there were two major problems,
1) the offset on the prototype of a lot deeper than the stock wheel. You need the deep offset the create 'the look'. Work around options did not offer the same visual appeal. Done correctly, a person would have to rethink the entire suspension setup to get the GT to preform correctly with a wheel like the one on the prototype car.
2) the brake package was significantly different on the prototype. That created another significant spacing issue that make the deep concave appearance of the prototype a difficult project to take on.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
A lot of people liked that look of the prototype wheel more than the released options. I remember at least two people who looked into having the prototype wheels made but there were two major problems,
1) the offset on the prototype of a lot deeper than the stock wheel. You need the deep offset the create 'the look'. Work around options did not offer the same visual appeal. Done correctly, a person would have to rethink the entire suspension setup to get the GT to preform correctly with a wheel like the one on the prototype car.
2) the brake package was significantly different on the prototype. That created another significant spacing issue that make the deep concave appearance of the prototype a difficult project to take on.

Oh yeah. I know the wheel itself is impossible to reproduce. I was just asking if anyone thought the look of the larger white letters on the TIRES looked better than the ones currently on the GY Eagles.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I see, my bad. I like the look on the prototype but it might be a bit much for real life cursing. I did have a guy offer me some racing scrubs with big lettering. I'm not sure if he had sizes that would work.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I see, my bad. I like the look on the prototype but it might be a bit much for real life cursing. I did have a guy offer me some racing scrubs with big lettering. I'm not sure if he had sizes that would work.

Exactly. Looks cool on the prototype. May look ridiculous and stupid on a road-going car.

Other dowside is larger letters would have to be applied 'freehand' without benefit of the letters on the tires as a guide. Any bit off and it will look crooked and horrible.

And I received confirmation that the adhesive is PERMANENT:(

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
And I received confirmation that the adhesive is PERMANENT:(

That sounds like good news to me. Thinking back to Mark's story of paint flying off at speed.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That sounds like good news to me. Thinking back to Mark's story of paint flying off at speed.

Right...only if it looks good. He said it should look like this except permanent.

attachment.php

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I talked to the guy today also. They basically use superglue to put it on the tire. That's pretty harsh stuff. You just have to trust him that it doesn't damage the tire. The original purpose was for truck tire (18 wheelers). I doubt they saw much flex or really high rotational force, compared to a sports car tire. However, the new company, tredwearletters.com is focusing on muscle cars. I can only assume they have not run into any issues with the adhesive.

Additionally he recommended that I use carb-cleaner to prep the tire. I don't "think" it would hurt the rubber but I would hate to be the guy that finds out the hard way.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I talked to the guy today also. They basically use superglue to put it on the tire. That's pretty harsh stuff. You just have to trust him that it doesn't damage the tire. The original purpose was for truck tire (18 wheelers). I doubt they saw much flex or really high rotational force, compared to a sports car tire. However, the new company, tredwearletters.com is focusing on muscle cars. I can only assume they have not run into any issues with the adhesive.

Additionally he recommended that I use carb-cleaner to prep the tire. I don't "think" it would hurt the rubber but I would hate to be the guy that finds out the hard way.

Good point. But I would think brake cleaner would be ok with just a very brief exposure to clean the surface seeing as how it's used around rubber seals and gaskets around the brakes. As far as superglue, isn't bonding rubber parts one of it's uses? I would think that should be ok as well.