Pulley / Tuner kits in stock $ 999

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Is this in reference to the old FRPP device not communicating with the PCM or in regard to your state's database not recognizing the FRPP calibration as CARB exempt ?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have no personal experience with the FRPP Tuning and/or FRPP Pulley. Was wondering theoretically for a solution. (to avoid the drive cycle and return to stock tuning).

When tuned, I was using a SCT Xcalibrator 2 Tuner and a Tune purchased direct from you, but it was so long ago, I'm not sure if it was a canned Heffner based tune, or a tune that you created.

Also, I had a Heffner Pulley.

I am curious if there is a tune out there that would be CA CARB Compliant, work with smaller diameter pulley and Heffner exhaust and not require a return to Ford Stock tune (and drive cycle emissions monitor reset) to pass CA biennial emissions.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have the FRPP file I can send out, if it indeed had an EO (which I believe it did) it should pass and I can convert it and send it for use with SCT programmers.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That would be fantastic! Would it be possible for me to ship my SCT X2 to you to install the file? Much less chance of me screwing up the attempt to get the file successfully onto my Programmer/Scanner as I'm not in a PC environment.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah sure Randy, email me. torrie@unleashedtuning.com

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
This thread linked below first mentioned a "Vin recognition" issue in #1 and then followed up in #10 and additional comments in #17

I had the same issue recently with the Ford tool. I found a brand new kit and they shipped me the new tool to upload it. Long story short would not work, even when Ford Performance came out. So I called Torrie and bought his controller that has the Ford calibration plus his own. I am using his calibration which I love! Great service as always.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thank you Kevin.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had the same issue recently with the Ford tool. I found a brand new kit and they shipped me the new tool to upload it. Long story short would not work, even when Ford Performance came out. So I called Torrie and bought his controller that has the Ford calibration plus his own. I am using his calibration which I love! Great service as always.
But that doesn't answer the question: Is there a CARB compliant tune other than the Ford one. CA and other states that follow their lead are all of a sudden getting persnickity about it. My tune from the GT guys wouldn't pass the NV emissions test...

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
No there isn't (that I am aware of currently outside of the OEM and FRPP cal.) unless someone chooses to go through the testing process with CARB to get their own EO for an individual calibration.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
But that doesn't answer the question: Is there a CARB compliant tune other than the Ford one. CA and other states that follow their lead are all of a sudden getting persnickity about it. My tune from the GT guys wouldn't pass the NV emissions test...
The Ford Racing tune has an EO number and is CARB approved. Whipple also has an EO number with CARB approval if you have gone with that setup. AFAIK, CA is the only state (so far) that is actually reading the file in the car in real time via the OBD2 port and somehow making the determination if it is an "approved" tune, or not.

Long story short, if you are in CA and have a pulley/tune kit that you want to keep... you have two choices. Each time your smog is due you can revert to the OEM tune and then drive the car (avoiding boost) to get the monitors to set, get it smogged, and then re-install the tune. The secnd choice is to get and install the Ford Racing tune from Torrie.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
Maybe this has been asked and answered; if so, I apologize. With the Unleashed Tuning 2.8" pulley and the three tune options has anyone worked out performance results for the different tunes? I know the h.p. and torque numbers are available from Torrie (thank-you) but how do these three options perform e.g. 0-60 mph times?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
On average its 600WHP w/ 91 Octane, 620WHP w/ 93 Octane. 640WHP w/ 100 Octane.

Reactions: CmdrDCM

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
Yes. I was aware of those (impressive) numbers but how do those statistics translate into performance? Are there 0-60 times for the different tunes?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Depending on traction I would imagine to some degree. As to what that translates to in reality I don't know exactly.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
The point is that if tuning only increases horsepower and torque but not performance, why do it?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
How could increasing horsepower and torque not increase performance?

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
I am sure that it does increase performance. But I think it is more important to know what performance gains are achieved than the horsepower and torque numbers (not that those aren't important too).

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What are the current baseline performance metrics that you have achieved with your car ?

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
The point is that if tuning only increases horsepower and torque but not performance, why do it?
I can tell you that the car feels totally different than stock with Torrie's tune. Much quicker, more responsive,... So yes if all conditions were exactly the same (same car, environmental, traction) then your 0-60 time, 1/4 time would be improved. Adding HP has it challenges though from a dead stop and somtimes rolling getting traction. Better tires, warm tires all help. Hence why i finally switched to Nitto drag radials on my modified GT500. It totally transformed the car because now it hooks up much better.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I am sure that it does increase performance. But I think it is more important to know what performance gains are achieved than the horsepower and torque numbers (not that those aren't important too).

The largest and most used performance gain is in bragging rights.

Reactions: 2112 and CmdrDCM