Public service announcement: List of Ford GTs at upcoming auctions (with links)

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be nervous entering a 05/06 into BJ this year. Likely to be a blood bath and great opportunity for buyers!

Reactions: 2112 and Cadster

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I think selling nine on one day with no reserve will be REALLY interesting.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Did I overlook them or miss an auction? Chip Ganassi #2 car, 2005 Quicksilver Serial #3, Cena's, and THE Riveria Blue are also up for Auction. I believe there are more for auction not listed.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Did I overlook them or miss an auction? Chip Ganassi #2 car, 2005 Quicksilver Serial #3, Cena's, and THE Riveria Blue are also up for Auction. I believe there are more for auction not listed.

I searched the auction sites and listed the cars I found. The Cena car and the silver #003 are listed in the first two posts of this thread.

There's a 2005 with no description in the Mecum auction list, not sure what that one is! I don't see any Ganassi car listed.

If you know of other cars at the auctions, give me links to their auction listings and I will add them to the lists.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Should make for interesting Telly

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Is this a higher number of vehicles being sold than would be expected?

My thoughts have been that the market has been softening. Movement of all these cars should be a real indicator of what's going on.

My bad for not intending to watch, but will someone be kind enough to tabulate the $ results, and perhaps some narrative, after all the shooting is done?

Reactions: Stef

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
My bad for not intending to watch, but will someone be kind enough to tabulate the $ results, and perhaps some narrative, after all the shooting is done?

I probably won’t sit in front of my tv for two days, but after each auction I will tabulate the results and post here.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
How about Walker's E36 CSL's. BMW only made 126 of these, and he had 5, and they all go in a row. Seems like a market saturation there too.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I think selling nine on one day with no reserve will be REALLY interesting.
What day is the day ?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
All the BJ ones are Saturday the 18th. Are you bidding? Sunday, 19th.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
i think the market has softened a little so hopefully the owners don't just fire sale them.. keep them or offer the folks on the forum the good deals, keep them in the family. New Ford GT's are selling what around 750K-850K, has any sold over the 1M mark?

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
id love to get one in that range if anyone has one looking to help out a fellow forum member :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
i think the market has softened a little so hopefully the owners don't just fire sale them.. keep them or offer the folks on the forum the good deals, keep them in the family. New Ford GT's are selling what around 750K-850K, has any sold over the 1M mark?
With that many it pretty much is a fire sale. But... The owners have no say in a no reserve auction. I Predicted there would be more FGTs at Scottsdale than Vegas but not this many... Same with Mecum. I really think you guys looking for cars now should be taking a trip to Phoenix or Florida in the next few weeks. I got my Cobra by setting a limit on each car, and if it passed, so be it. I ended up getting the one I wanted for exactly what I had set the limit for that car and it was below market.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I probably won’t sit in front of my tv for two days, but after each auction I will tabulate the results and post here.
Great, thanks. Should be interesting viewing and generate a lot of comments.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ganassi is here, have not seen noticed that it is going to auction

I don't see any Ganassi car listed.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here are some thoughts:

- The market for everything is soft. This is not conjecture. I think McLaren will actually pay you to take their cars at this point. The new cars are available at huge discounts and even the low production stuff like the Senna is repeatedly failing to get bid to MSRP at auction. A low KM P1 sold for under MSRP recently, which was unthinkable at one point. Lambo is similar. Go ask the dealer what kind of deal you can get on an Aventador S on the floor. Many Porsche GT cars are no longer commanding monster (or any) premiums over retail. A bunch of no sale 918s in the region a little over MSRP. There were a couple bust auctions of major collector cars overseas in the last couple months.

It really, really, really doesn't take a genius to figure out the primary driver of "why" - there are a crazy amount of high dollar cars to choose from. Too many. McLaren practically introduces a new thinly changed derivative every other month. My local Aston dealer has a massive amount of cars sitting on their lot with giant red discount tags hanging in the windows. You can buy untold 911 variations at $200k+. Hell, you can buy yourself any of a half-dozen different SUVs that are $200k+ now, a market that pretty much did not exist at all when the 05 GT came out. This is to say nothing of the recent opportunity cost of having dollars stuck in cars when you have to actively try to not get double digit returns in the market.

- Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Period. Many of these auctions are spectator sport as much as anything else.

My prediction for upcoming auctions - people will pick and choose whichever side of the numbers they like (buyer or seller), and it will all mean little relative to what actually happens in the retail market.

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Here are some thoughts:

- The market for everything is soft. This is not conjecture. I think McLaren will actually pay you to take their cars at this point. The new cars are available at huge discounts and even the low production stuff like the Senna is repeatedly failing to get bid to MSRP at auction. A low KM P1 sold for under MSRP recently, which was unthinkable at one point. Lambo is similar. Go ask the dealer what kind of deal you can get on an Aventador S on the floor. Many Porsche GT cars are no longer commanding monster (or any) premiums over retail. A bunch of no sale 918s in the region a little over MSRP. There were a couple bust auctions of major collector cars overseas in the last couple months.

It really, really, really doesn't take a genius to figure out the primary driver of "why" - there are a crazy amount of high dollar cars to choose from. Too many. McLaren practically introduces a new thinly changed derivative every other month. My local Aston dealer has a massive amount of cars sitting on their lot with giant red discount tags hanging in the windows. You can buy untold 911 variations at $200k+. Hell, you can buy yourself and of a half-dozen different SUVs that are $200k+ now, a market that pretty much did not exist at all when the 05 GT came out. This is to say nothing of the recent opportunity cost of having dollars stuck in cars when you have to actively try to not get double digit returns in the market.

- Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Auctions are not representative of the retail car market. Period. Many of these auctions are spectator sport as much as anything else.

My prediction for upcoming auctions - people will pick and choose whichever side of the numbers they like (buyer or seller), and it will all mean little relative to what actually happens in the retail market.

To borrow from your own endless vocabulary repository, DBK, asere...you nailed it as always ;)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Besides the NFGT, the only other car I would like to have is that Ken Miles Superformance MKII. It will fetch premium since it was actually in the movie. Besides the NGT, that's the only car I'd like to add to what I have, RHD, sill shifter Lemans exact replica!!

Reactions: Voda

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Don't think the sub 1,000 miles cars will go cheap with or without reserve. On Mecum that leaves only two with more than 1,000 miles. One Heritage and one not, so not really that abundant a supply for the masses.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In general appraisers of real estate and collector cars do discount auctions and will include them only when there aren't enough comps, and then with with disclaimers. That is true until the exceptions become the rules, ie, the dominant market makers. For many years I would only include a bank foreclosure or short sale with extreme caution and disclaimers, even going out of the region to find a similar comp. That worked UNTIL those foreclosures and short sales dominated the market. It's very hard to claim a house is worth 500K when two short sales next door for 300K and two more around the corner for sale unsold. With what, over 15? Ford GTs coming on the auction market inside a week, it would be difficult for anyone getting a formal appraisal to not have the auction numbers factored in. But we don't know what will happen!!! The fact that someone is flipping mine says they think it was an anomoly and still believe there is profit to be had. I don't know. Time will tell.