Prices stabilizing?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I love seeing all the people who say the cars are falling apart if they are sitting. That couldn't be further from the truth. As long as they are stored properly, they are perfectly fine. We have sold more delivery mile GTs than I can count of which several of the new owners of these delivery mile cars bought the cars to drive, and they did just that. And they have been driving them problem free for thousands of miles. The only negatives I have seen to a few delivery mile cars is they were never driven to be tested for the original factory flaws that some of these cars had when they were originally built. We honestly have seen very very few issues with these 10 year old garage queens. Let's hope this still rings true at 20 years...
The yellow one you sold me (my garage queen with still only 21.6 miles) is "falling apart". It starts 1st crank, leaks oil like all the other ones, purrs like a kitten and looks and smells brand new, but it's now 10 years new. LOL

And to the OP, FWIW, if prices are stabilizing - it's not really apparent to me - look here. This white/ blue sold just 2 days ago for 280k

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...dtype=22&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I never said that the cars were not in great shape because they sat. Properly stored of COURSE they are in perfect condition. My statement runs to usage. Unless one views these cars merely as "garage art" never to be driven, why would one purchase a no mileage car at a premium? Once the car is driven it will necessarily go down in value.

Now if you want a 300K coffee table I say go for it. Probably an excellent investment.

Not exactly so - there are cars out there that will continue to rise in value, no matter how much they're driven; I'm not saying the GT is one of them, but it very well might be. And in many years from now, a no-mileage GT will still fetch much more than a 10K miles GT. There are many collectors out there that will pay a huge premium to buy a never-driven, virgin car, just to have in the collection, and they will eventually sell it un-driven for a huge premium as well. I personally know a few collectors like this...some in fact who have no-mileage cars that they purchased from other collectors.

Ford GT's are an anomaly in that they built 4038 production cars, and they continue to rise as if they had built only 20 of them. Maybe it's sustainable over the long term, and maybe it's not, but the market on these cars is still climbing rapidly. My guess is that we will see a million $ Heritage within 5 years.

Curious though, why d'ya get banned from FCHAT? Not that that's a bad thing - LOL, but just curious.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My guess is that we will see a million $ Heritage within 5 years.

Is there a bet in there to be had? :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Betting on the Canada dollar taking a dive.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Respectfully, with no intent to offend any Heritage owners or dealers, I believe that in 30 yrs. a Heritage edition will cost about the same as most GTs, plus or minus the cost of a paint job. That being said, I love Heritages. Recently tried to buy one and still wish I didnt turn a new one down in 2007 for $7k or so under sticker. However, a big premium for a paint job on the exact same car holding up in the long run - nope.

What may you ask is my rationale for long term Heritage values: I have been very actively around the collector/antique car market for about ten years and have close friends in it for 30+ years with major collections that I envy. While I am admittedly NOT an expert like some here, I can not think of a single vintage car where there is a "major" premium paid for color. Sure, some folks pay a few percent more at auction for black cars, and some for red, but with vintage cars most people have less interest in the original color, as long as the car was carefully painted a color that was factory offered that year.

Most 30+ year old Mercedes have been repainted. Same is true for Ferraris and Cadillacs and Duesenbergs. People pay at auction for these million dollar cars typically based on condition, history, correctness (not much for color correctness) and overall attractiveness.

I hope Heritages sell for a million. Wouldn't bet on the premium holding long term though. By long term, I mean over 20 years. If you own one, enjoy it

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Is there a bet in there to be had? :lol
Ya, like was posted directly below yours, I bet the loonie will continue to go south! LOL

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...However, a big premium for a paint job on the exact same car holding up in the long run - nope...If you own one, enjoy it

:agree:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I hope Heritages sell for a million. Wouldn't bet on the premium holding long term. By long term, I mean over 20 years. If you own one, enjoy it

:agree:

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Not exactly so - there are cars out there that will continue to rise in value, no matter how much they're driven; I'm not saying the GT is one of them, but it very well might be. And in many years from now, a no-mileage GT will still fetch much more than a 10K miles GT. There are many collectors out there that will pay a huge premium to buy a never-driven, virgin car, just to have in the collection, and they will eventually sell it un-driven for a huge premium as well. I personally know a few collectors like this...some in fact who have no-mileage cars that they purchased from other collectors.

Ford GT's are an anomaly in that they built 4038 production cars, and they continue to rise as if they had built only 20 of them. Maybe it's sustainable over the long term, and maybe it's not, but the market on these cars is still climbing rapidly. My guess is that we will see a million $ Heritage within 5 years.

Curious though, why d'ya get banned from FCHAT? Not that that's a bad thing - LOL, but just curious.

wellllll, lets just say I started this thread about no mileage Ferraris being worthless…

(just kidding)

Long story, lets just say it was in the Politics and Religion section of FCHAT. Won't do that again. BTW they lifted the ban but who cares?

Cheers!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Didn't think they banned people in the FCHAT forums (kidding). I could get banned in forums that don't ban, but yes, zero mileage Ferrari's are worthless! Now, zero mileage GT's...that a whole 'nuther story! ROTFLMAO

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Respectfully, with no intent to offend any Heritage owners or dealers, I believe that in 30 yrs. a Heritage edition will cost about the same as most GTs, plus or minus the cost of a paint job. That being said, I love Heritages. Recently tried to buy one and still wish I didnt turn a new one down in 2007 for $7k or so under sticker. However, a big premium for a paint job on the exact same car holding up in the long run - nope.

What may you ask is my rationale for long term Heritage values: I have been very actively around the collector/antique car market for about ten years and have close friends in it for 30+ years with major collections that I envy. While I am admittedly NOT an expert like some here, I can not think of a single vintage car where there is a "major" premium paid for color. Sure, some folks pay a few percent more at auction for black cars, and some for red, but with vintage cars most people have less interest in the original color, as long as the car was carefully painted a color that was factory offered that year.

Most 30+ year old Mercedes have been repainted. Same is true for Ferraris and Cadillacs and Duesenbergs. People pay at auction for these million dollar cars typically based on condition, history, correctness (not much for color correctness) and overall attractiveness.

I hope Heritages sell for a million. Wouldn't bet on the premium holding long term though. By long term, I mean over 20 years. If you own one, enjoy it

I can think of one example that I believe is quite pertinent. How much is the value of a "Gulf" painted 1960's GT40 worth over a standard "color" 1960’s GT40? About double the value, even when considering similar racing pedigrees or other levels of importance. There are many examples of factory painted racing pedigreed cars being worth much more than the same car with a “standard” factory paint job, even on cars that never raced. The Heritage Ford GT's are never going to go back to being worth the cost of the paint job over the other colors. At some point I believe it will level off at a little less than 50% premium, and we are not far from that now. I hang out with a couple dealers that sell million dollar cars every month and frankly they think I have lost my mind to sell my Heritage, and that it will prove to be a huge financial mistake 20 years from now. However, I don’t buy and sell these cars purely on the idea of how much they will be worth one day, this is an adult sandbox for me, it’s about the fun and when the fun is over or something else catch’s my eye, it’s time to move on.

Jax, no offense taken, you're a nice guy so we’ll let you slide on your “confusion”. Besides, I think it was smarter to buy a Carrera GT rather than a Heritage Ford GT for a different reason, why have two of the same car when you can have one of each of last of the greatest analog supercars that will ever be made, wise decision. Only one thing though, wouldn’t it be better to have a “Heritage” if you were going to have one Ford GT in such an esteemed collection?:biggrin

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
Surely there are enough connections through this forum to get an agreement between owners not to sell for less than $$$,$$$/£££,£££, owners benefit, dealers benefit on their commission, everyone wins. The BMW CSL owners club in UK done the same and bumped the car prices up by 25% if I remember correctly. :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Surely there are enough connections through this forum to get an agreement between owners not to sell for less than $$$,$$$/£££,£££, owners benefit, dealers benefit on their commission, everyone wins. The BMW CSL owners club in UK done the same and bumped the car prices up by 25% if I remember correctly. :)

While legal in the UK, this is illegal in the U.S. It's essentially what landed Alfred Taubman, who had purchased Sotheby's, in federal prison for price fixing with Christie's.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
While legal in the UK, this is illegal in the U.S. It's essentially what landed Alfred Taubman, who had purchased Sotheby's, in federal prison for price fixing with Christie's.

Absolutley this is the same in any business and a sure fire way to go directly to jail.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
The FGT is doing very well on its own! I think anyone that wants to manipulate the market for the benefit of profit needs to go buy a different vehicle. The joy of ownership of this car is awesome. The good fortune of this cars value is also awesome. Let the free market dictate and enjoy the ride. No matter what the market does, I think anyone with one of these cars is a "BIG BOY" and what ever happens, happens. Enjoy the ride and if you get nervous, pm me!

Mike

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Another "recent" production car going up rapidly are Z8s. Low milage cars now going over $200,000 in US. In Europe quite a bit higher ; over $250,000! Interesting phenomena is US cars becoming less numerous, probably less than 1500 ( overall production similar to GT 5000+). because prices higher in Europe many cars being bought here and exported. Another interesting phenomena is low milage cars do not bring the sme higher premium in Europe as they do here!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can think of one example that I believe is quite pertinent. How much is the value of a "Gulf" painted 1960's GT40 worth over a standard "color" 1960’s GT40? About double the value, even when considering similar racing pedigrees or other levels of importance. There are many examples of factory painted racing pedigreed cars being worth much more than the same car with a “standard” factory paint job, even on cars that never raced. The Heritage Ford GT's are never going to go back to being worth the cost of the paint job over the other colors. At some point I believe it will level off at a little less than 50% premium, and we are not far from that now. I hang out with a couple dealers that sell million dollar cars every month and frankly they think I have lost my mind to sell my Heritage, and that it will prove to be a huge financial mistake 20 years from now. However, I don’t buy and sell these cars purely on the idea of how much they will be worth one day, this is an adult sandbox for me, it’s about the fun and when the fun is over or something else catch’s my eye, it’s time to move on.

Jax, no offense taken, you're a nice guy so we’ll let you slide on your “confusion”. Besides, I think it was smarter to buy a Carrera GT rather than a Heritage Ford GT for a different reason, why have two of the same car when you can have one of each of last of the greatest analog supercars that will ever be made, wise decision. Only one thing though, wouldn’t it be better to have a “Heritage” if you were going to have one Ford GT in such an esteemed collection?:biggrin

I don't think the value of original GT40s in Gulf livery have as much to do with paint color as to do with the Weyer history and legacy. I think a win ing Weyer car will get top dollar no matter what correct it is painted

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
The FGT is doing very well on its own! I think anyone that wants to manipulate the market for the benefit of profit needs to go buy a different vehicle. The joy of ownership of this car is awesome. The good fortune of this cars value is also awesome. Let the free market dictate and enjoy the ride. No matter what the market does, I think anyone with one of these cars is a "BIG BOY" and what ever happens, happens. Enjoy the ride and if you get nervous, pm me!

Mike

to clarify, I just thought it was interesting the power forums and clubs have when it comes to values.

Many people here seem to be bothered about values and mileage but I bought my one to use it, have done over 1000 miles in this first week of ownership! :)

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Sure, I guess they could have been bright pink. Another question, why is a Gulf colored Heuer watch worth more than the same watch in a different color? Is it the cost of the paint on the dial? In the end, they painted them "Gulf", and decades later Ford painted a few of the greatest remake car is history in the same scheme. I'm just glad it wasn't bright pink. If I don't sell my car for a reasonable number, I won't be in my garage crying while looking at the car and collection and taking it out for the occasional drive. I agree that we are all "big boys" here and the Ford GT doesn't need any help, it is doing fine on its own and that is the way it is supposed to be here in America. If you like what you have seen in the way of Ford GT prices over the past 10 years, give it another 10 years, it won't be less than today...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Are you saying that you think that the 1966 McLaren/Amon #2 Mark II (it's black), or the 1967 Gurney/Foyt #1 Mark IV (it's red) aren't as valuable as the 1968-69 John Wyer Gulf P/1074 or P/1075?

It's the history!!