Platinum Diehard battery for the FGT

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I've been shopping for the elusive AGM Platinum Diehard 028500080000 for my car. Seems like there are
plenty of 'em sitting on the shelves of Sear Automotive Centers around my area... but they've ll been there for quite a while.

The latest one I can find is date coded April 2010... so it's been sitting there for nearly a full year.

Apparently they can't order in a new one for me, until their stock is depleted.

I know, I know, the warranty starts when it's sold... but if I'm going to the trouble and expense to change it, I at least want a nice fresh one to start with.

anybody else have an issue getting a fresh battery when you changed yours out?

mardyn

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have Odyesseys in both GTs--military strengh and hard to beat. A bunch of internet sites can get them to you quickly.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would pull the trigger; I just by off the shelf

Had one die hard last 8 yrs.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Is the DieHard battery build date code in understandable language or is there decipher code necessary?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
No code as I understand it, just a simple date sticker on the side of the case. Some mfgs use a letter code for the date:
A= Jan, B = Feb, C = March... etc.

Newest I've been able to locate around here (DFW) is 4/10, plus several older versions dating back
to 08 still on the shelf waiting to be sold.

mardyn

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Newest I've been able to locate around here (DFW) is 4/10, plus several older versions dating back
to 08 still on the shelf waiting to be sold.

mardyn

:ack

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Look at it this way.... maybe it improves your chances of getting a brand new battery in 4 years!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Look at it this way.... maybe it improves your chances of getting a brand new battery in 4 years!

now that is creative thinking.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

or a free replacement with a 10 or 15 year old battery :lol

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
anyone have a thread link or maybe start one with GT battery part numbers and makes?
It would be so nice to have a clean post with only exact fit replacements listed.

search was not my friend tonight

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
DieHard Experience

I just purchased and installed the DieHard P3 described above. Checked the local Sears stores and the freshest one they had was October 2010 so purchased and I installed it last evening. My OE Optima is coming up on 5 years without any hint of a problem, but wanted to be proactive relative to averting any gauge problems which appear linked (albeit tacitly) to low battery problems. I wil gladly replace a $200 battery to avert replacing a $1500 gauge in my dash.

The DieHard fits into the same battery location without modification or trouble. The OE clamp holds the battery firmly in the tray just like OE. Since this is a Dual Terminal (DT) battery and our application uses the posts, I would recommend installing plastic caps on the flush connectors. My battery from Sears did not have these, only red/black plastic post protectors which are probably there as protection in the most typical installation using the flush connectors. Went to a local generic auto shop which sells car batteries and he just gave me the two plastic protective covers for the flush terminals off an in-stock DT battery.

I make this recommendation as the flush terminals of the DT Sears battery face forward and are very close to a conforming steel piece immediately ahead of the battery. Might be OK with these terminals uncovered, but I like to have extra protection from the unforseen happening (like a 9.0 in Japan).

The Sears battery does weight a bit more than the GT Optima, but has a 4 year 100% replacement with an additional 52 months pro rated warranty (100 months total warranty). And is easily exchanged at multiple Sears Automotive outlets if I need to. $207.13 total.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Good advice. I did exactly the same thing two months ago for the same reasons. Install was a snap, and luckily, mine had the plastic covers in place already. Old Optima make a nice paper weight. Actually might use it in my boat for back up, since it seems like it still is functional.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Good find IGT...

Oct 2010 is a pretty good date... much better than I found so far. According to a lady I spoke with yesterday
at one of the battery distributors, the batteries are made in batches... and they may be between runs on this
particular version which would account for older dates...

she said that the Oddessy batteries can sit on the shelf
for a year with no ill effects, and the warranty begins on the purchase date anyway...

but I still have difficulty in paying for/getting one without the latest DOM possible.

mardyn

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
....she said that the Oddessy batteries can sit on the shelf
for a year with no ill effects, and the warranty begins on the purchase date anyway...

My local Sears shop stated the shelf life on these are 2 yr's... and there will never be an Optima ever again in this shop.......

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I got my Diehard a couple of days ago. Since I didn't have a ratchet to fit the holder plate, I asked if they would put the battery in, but the head of the Automotive Dept refused saying they were afraid of screwing up the cars computer.

She got a lot more cooperative though after I let her sit in the car and the two young Sears mechanics were falling all over themselves to let me "borrow" unofficially their tools. Seems like the GT was the highlight of their day.

Battery went right in, and my gauges no longer malfunction.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new PC-1400T, through Jegs, shipped direct from Odyssey for 273.00 delivered.

I'm now hoping for a miraculous recovery of my dead gauges with the installation of the new power cell....although I'm not holding my breath.

mardyn

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I'm now hoping for a miraculous recovery of my dead gauges with the installation of the new power cell....although I'm not holding my breath.
Mardyn

My gauges were only periodically not working before the new battery. Good luck

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I tried enteing that part number into the sears search to no avail.
Then i used the search by make and it has no batteries listed to fit our cars.
Any chance you still have a receipt and can look up the part number???

Also did you guys pluc in a 12V power source when changing the batteries or just unhook and hooked up to the new one?

I've been shopping for the elusive AGM Platinum Diehard 028500080000 for my car. Seems like there are
plenty of 'em sitting on the shelves of Sear Automotive Centers around my area... but they've ll been there for quite a while.

The latest one I can find is date coded April 2010... so it's been sitting there for nearly a full year.

Apparently they can't order in a new one for me, until their stock is depleted.

I know, I know, the warranty starts when it's sold... but if I'm going to the trouble and expense to change it, I at least want a nice fresh one to start with.

anybody else have an issue getting a fresh battery when you changed yours out?

mardyn

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Tom I don't have my receipt on me but I believe that try 2850008 is what the service manager typed in. Bought mine last week Date code 1-10. Took out the POS Optima, re-socked the DieHard and dropped her right in... Fired her up, ran it for 10 minutes, drove it and when parked that night put her back on the Deltran charger...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sears Item # 02850080000 You should be able to search on that from the main www.sears.com web page. Nevertheless it is a "Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86DT" I hope this helps.