Platinum Diehard battery for the FGT

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
mardyn, I don't want to call you blue boy, so indeed don't hold your breath. Installing the new battery did nothing to revive my tach and temp guage, nor did I expect it to. My tach guage still moves around a little with different RPM's, but not much, and certainly does not keep up with engine RPM's. Temp guage stuck around 150 and never moves at all. No over heating problems here : ) Hope your situation is different, but not likely.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
mardyn, I don't want to call you blue boy, so indeed don't hold your breath. Installing the new battery did nothing to revive my tach and temp guage, nor did I expect it to. My tach guage still moves around a little with different RPM's, but not much, and certainly does not keep up with engine RPM's. Temp guage stuck around 150 and never moves at all. No over heating problems here : ) Hope your situation is different, but not likely.

I wonder if an analysis of your tach might be helpful, as it has only suffered a partial failure?? Might be helpful to have it sent in....

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
mardyn, I don't want to call you blue boy, so indeed don't hold your breath. .

Yeah, I know... it was a case of extreme wishful thinking.:frown

mardyn

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
:ackNew Sears Battery, same dead fuel gauge.:ack

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
thanks guys, i'll be heading to sears soon....snowed again today....need some studded snows put on the GT while i am waiting on the battery

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Crap, crap, crap, freakin' crap....

New PC1400T Odyssey battery is slightly too tall and the inner tub wont seat down all the way.
(appears to need the PC1230 version rather than the 1400 as the Odyssesy application guide indicates)

Back to the drawing board.

mardyn

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Sears Item # 02850080000 You should be able to search on that from the main www.sears.com web page. Nevertheless it is a "Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86DT" I hope this helps.

Thanks! Just bought one today, fitted perfectly and car ran great with no gauge issues.
:thumbsup

Mike

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'm still chasing one over here in NE Texas... made the rounds of several Sears stores last week... still, the most recent one they
have was date coded 4/10....

I'm back at square one, but I do have a nice Ford GT Optima to use in my ski boat this year. Woo Hoo!

mardyn

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Just an FYI

The Die Hard AGM and the new Autozone Duralast AGM are the same battery made by JCI, who also owns Optima.

Optima's are stocked in all AutoZone stores $179.99 $8.00 core ( Red Top same as the GT battery), but only some AZ stores have the new Duralast Platinum AGM today. The AGM battery is now standard in some BMW , Porsche and Mercedes applications. This is where the industry is headed in the near future. The Optima and the AGM are the same idea , packaged a bit differently. AGM's will soon come in various group sizes and will not just be a DT one size fits all.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...mString=search&itemIdentifier=729133_10168_0_

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought the Sears was an Odyssey, not an Optima? In boat applications, they are quite different.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
No, the Sears Platinum is a Johnson Controls product ( JCI) . Interstate and Motorcraft are also made by JCI.

Odyssey is a more compact lighter battery, most often with less reserve capacity in the compact size. Really not a big deal unless you sit idling the car a lot or run the radio for a couple hours with the motor off. Odyssey is a good battery but very hard to warranty when on the road.

I would stick with Sears or Duralast or Optima from AZ for easy sources to get replaced most anywhere from 7:30am - 9:00 pm. Autozone has over 4,000 stores in the US. You are even covered in Puerto Rico. With Autozone batteries you give up 1 year free replacement over the Sears but at a lesser cost. The Duralast Platinum group 78DT is $139.99 in the first roll markets.

The specs on the lead acid lower end models of Interstate have a less robust design, ok for street , but weak off road or rough road design. But the flagship IS battery is very good. Motorcraft and Duralast spec the group 65 for more reserve capacity to be used in pursuit vehicles. If your family Ford calls for a group 65 AZ Duralast and Duralast Platinum is spec'd for the cop cars and ambulance community.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
No, the Sears Platinum is a Johnson Controls product ( JCI) . Interstate and Motorcraft are also made by JCI.

Odyssey is a more compact lighter battery, most often with less reserve capacity in the compact size. Really not a big deal unless you sit idling the car a lot or run the radio for a couple hours with the motor off. Odyssey is a good battery but very hard to warranty when on the road.

I would stick with Sears or Duralast or Optima from AZ for easy sources to get replaced most anywhere from 7:30am - 9:00 pm. Autozone has over 4,000 stores in the US. You are even covered in Puerto Rico. With Autozone batteries you give up 1 year free replacement over the Sears but at a lesser cost. The Duralast Platinum group 78DT is $139.99 in the first roll markets.

The specs on the lead acid lower end models of Interstate have a less robust design, ok for street , but weak off road or rough road design. But the flagship IS battery is very good. Motorcraft and Duralast spec the group 65 for more reserve capacity to be used in pursuit vehicles. If your family Ford calls for a group 65 AZ Duralast and Duralast Platinum is spec'd for the cop cars and ambulance community.

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Gauges on the 2005 were acting erratic and shutting down. Replaced the original battery with the sears platinum and everything is working? Shelby may be right!