Passed my smog and I live in California

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I am happy to post that I passed my California Smog check today.
I have Gen II Whipple and mufler delete.

Last week I passed the emmisions test, but I failed to complete all the OBD self tests. But after reseting to the orriginal tune and some driving around town the past week I passed with flying colors. Thanks to Shadowman for walking me through the steps and referring me to a local guy who is familiar with the GT.

H

HHGT

Cool :thumbsup:thumbsup. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago in my Chevy Diesel truck with no mufflers, no particulate cooker and a reprogrammed engine.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Congratz to you both, I hope the wrong people dont read this however!! :eek

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
We don't have smog tests up here in N Idaho nor can we read.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They announced they are doing away with the tests altogether here. And this is not because our state is not run by green extremists, it is.

The minimal number of cars actually failing the tests no longer warrants the high cost of having, administering and collating data of the tests.

Even that is a surprise as cost efficiency rarely enters into the equation up here.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
We don't have smog tests up here in N Idaho nor can we read.

Pretty funny there SteveA.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Congratz to you both, I hope the wrong people dont read this however!! :eek

The silly thing about this test is that you can fail the OBD self tests if you have a new battery or had a dead battery. The car just needs to recognize regular driving. I think taking the GT on the track at Miller Mptorsports Park is not looked at as regular driving!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm happy you passed too. But, you have a perfectly legal set-up. Do you think you had to change the tune? (I wouldn't have thought so.)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I'm happy you passed too. But, you have a perfectly legal set-up. Do you think you had to change the tune? (I wouldn't have thought so.)

The surprise was that the emissions went through with flying colors the first time, which is what I though the whole purpose of this exercise was about. I think when you drive you car on a limited basis and throw in a few track days, that somehow the self tests do not function well. Maybe someone can explain it better.

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
I had mild trouble here (in TX) with the OBD tests. However a simple change in the tune to enable the EGR and I was all set. TX requires all but one of the OBD status markers to be at "ready", and we kept the rear 02s off I believe, which was acceptable. Though I would expect the rear 02's probably read within spec anyway. So yes your regular Whipple tune should be fine if the tuner enables enough functions. People may prefer to not have EGR for the heat it adds, but I just want my car to be legit for the street.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the kind words

Takes care

Shadowman

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
They announced they are doing away with the tests altogether here. And this is not because our state is not run by green extremists, it is.

The minimal number of cars actually failing the tests no longer warrants the high cost of having, administering and collating data of the tests.

Even that is a surprise as cost efficiency rarely enters into the equation up here.

I'm speechless......a reasonable decision from state bureaucrats, maybe there is hope after all....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm speechless......a reasonable decision from state bureaucrats, maybe there is hope after all....

Don't get your hopes up if you live in CA! :thumbsdow

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I know exactly zilch about CA smog laws, but I'll bet somehow it is about money and not the planet. Reminds me of the stop light camera issue.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
That's great news Kevin. it may give others some idea on how to pass as well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I took my stock GT in today to be smogged in Illinois. Went for a spirited drive first and passed with no problems. DriveBy is also due and he is sweating it due to the mods. Was a rather rotund young man who tired to get in the car in a narrow bay so doors not all the way open. Ha ha. Good thing he was still young and able to contort.