Our Friend From NZ Wow's Them All

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Kiwi farewells Ford GT
26 September 2006

A New Zealander was one of 98 Ford GT owners to attend a US bash that marked the end of GT production.

Neil Hodgson traveled all the way from New Zealand without his GT. He had bought a crashed car back home and is in the process of converting it to a purpose-built road racer, the first full-race GT ever built. Hodgson will compete with the GT in endurance races in New Zealand. The races, run in lengths of four, six or eight hours, are on closed-circuit road courses.

When his GT is done, it won't look much different than stock, though Hodgson will replace the aluminum body panels with sturdier carbon fiber.

"We do have a tendency to rub fenders a bit," Hodgson says. "We raced our Cobra R for quite some time and never had a beaner, though we have had a couple of nudges."

The rules are unlimited, but Hodgson plans to keep the engine close to factory stock, removing all the emissions hardware and tuning it for racing. The car will also wear larger, 15-inch brakes and adjustable Penske race shocks at all four corners. A full, 15-point, chrome-moly roll cage will protect the driver.

Hodgeson's GT will also receive some aerodynamic massaging, starting with lowering the entire car a couple of inches and dropping the side skirts. The front valance will come down 1.75 inches, the rear 1.5 and the side scoops will be widened to deliver more air to the transmission and oil coolers.

One thing the GT won't get is the high wing seen on many road racers, a testament to its aerodynamic prowess. Hodgson plans to replace the fixed gurney flap with an adjustable unit, but the rear end already pulls 1 g of drag.

"If you pull it up another quarter-inch, it doubles the downforce," he says. "It's very efficient just the way it is."

Hodgson expects to have the car ready for testing by the end of the year, in time to prepare for the racing season that will start in February.

The homecoming rally was organized by David Bannister, founder of the Ford GT Owners Forum, and Joseph 'JoeyGT' Limongelli, a longtime Forum member. Guests toured Saleen Special Vehicles and the Wixom, Mich., plant where the GT is assembled. They also got the opportunity to rub elbows with the engineering team and GT designer Camillo Pardo, who threw a party for the group at his studio on the final night of the rally.

This Was in NZ Autocar.

Who's this GT Joey fella? Must be related to one of the Aussie 'roos.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Cool Neil! :cheers

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
:cheers Nice to
got to thank "GT JOEY" for inviting me to detroit.
The Gt is getting the chassis welded back together as we "speek" I should have it back to fab up the rollcage next week then I can put the roof and front and rear fire wall panels back in so I can fit all the race parts etc.
:willy Neil

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Neil's Competition

Revamped Ford ready to race

Wednesday September 27, 2006
By Alastair Sloane

California-based New Zealand race driver Steve Millen has transformed the exciting Ford GT into a top challenger for next month's Dunlop Targa rally from Auckland to Hastings.

The GT is based on the Le Mans-winning GT40s of the 1960s. Millen's team stripped and rebuilt the car with the Targa conditions in mind.

Lighter weight was a priority, so the air-conditioning system was removed and a stainless steel exhaust system added for better breathing.

The GT's supercharged 373kW (500bhp) 5.4-litre V8 engine didn't need many modifications, although a smaller pulley allows some extra power to be extracted from the supercharger.

The car's standard brakes have been replaced by a six-piston set from AP Racing. The BBS road wheels fitted from the factory are unchanged.

Millen had to pay particular attention to the handling of the GT because of the varying conditions that the car will see during the six-day event.

While the Targa event is strictly on tarmac, the car will experience anything from long, smooth straights to tight and twisty corners, with constantly changing surfaces and undulations.

"The various terrains means standard suspension won't work so well on bumpy roads, and a softer suspension won't work so well on smooth, straight roads," said Millen. "You've got to compromise and find a happy balance."

The Ford GT comes with adjustable suspension, but Millen opted for a set-up developed for the car and the conditions by American performance shop Penske Racing. The interior of the car was adapted for the event.

Safety is a top priority, so Millen built a Chromoly roll cage and put a fire extinguisher under the passenger seat. A lighter Momo steering wheel and carbon fibre racing seats replace the standard factory seats.

Millen knows he's on a steep learning curve with the Ford GT. Next year he plans to enter the same car - with even more power and shorter gear ratios.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, but does he have a nuclear reactor light? That would show them up.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
two great articles, best of luck to out GT racers :wink

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
HEY "GT JOEY"
Best you get somthing started for all my American friends so that its not only KIWI'S that are building race GT's.
I have only seen/heard of mine and steve millen's that are going to race seriously.How about getting your own series going in the USA ,We might even be tempted to bring ours up to play.just a thought.
:thumbsup :cheers Neil

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Neil, I as many others would probably love to see some pics??????

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
I have just put some pic's up on the members photo's
gt reborn
I will put more up later or I can send you more if you like.
I have just got her back from the chassis shop and are about to start with the roll cage and panel fit etc.
also of interest is the new door I got from ford is the job 1 proto type door how cool is that.
:banana :cheers
Neil

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
nz05gt said:
also of interest is the new door I got from ford is the job 1 proto type door how cool is that.
:banana :cheers
Neil
Well , the way things go, probably sensible to sell off some unused spare parts off the balance sheet... :lol

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
SLF360 said:
Well , the way things go, probably sensible to sell off some unused spare parts off the balance sheet... :lol

Nah I think I will just give all the spare part's to GT JOEY I here he is running out of space,so I think I'll just clutter him up some more :thumbsup
Neil

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Good luck to you Neil. And also to Steve Millen. It would be so great to see the cars in competition, or at least to see some video footage when the season gets underway.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Red Rocket said:
Good luck to you Neil. And also to Steve Millen. It would be so great to see the cars in competition, or at least to see some video footage when the season gets underway.

Steve's race will be in two weeks,our first run will be in january at this stage,then we have some vidio footage
Neil

Kiwi

Nov 1, 2006
NZ... Ford in the family
Fantastic to see what has become of this vehicle. Look forward to hearing/seeing more soon.

Last edited:

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Kiwi

Good on ya, Mate! Hope all goes well and glitch free...keep us posted.

Gordo.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
nz05gt said:
Nah I think I will just give all the spare part's to GT JOEY I here he is running out of space,so I think I'll just clutter him up some more :thumbsup
Neil
Hey Neil,
I meant for Ford to sell some parts of the spareparts magazine in Wixom... To you, best of luck of course ! :thumbsup

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Hi guys
The chassis is straight now,I am in the process of building the roll cage and new steering colum mounts,dash support,new tunnel for a 120 litre fuel tank,brakes should arrive any day now.I will post some more pictures soon. :cheers
Neil

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
just put some more pic's in the gallery,gt rebuild :cheers
Neil

Kiwi

Nov 1, 2006
NZ... Ford in the family
Neil, do you have more pictures for the picture hungry?? ;)

My dad has the other GT in NZ, and also imported yours in to NZ for the first owner. Incidentally, did you see he crashed something else expensive the other day??

http://www.kiwidragracing.com/multimedia/wheelies_crashes/Watkins_Crash_1.WMV

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neil, do you have more pictures for the picture hungry?? ;)

My dad has the other GT in NZ, and also imported yours in to NZ for the first owner. Incidentally, did you see he crashed something else expensive the other day??

http://www.kiwidragracing.com/multimedia/wheelies_crashes/Watkins_Crash_1.WMV

nasty crash, don't know if I was a drag racer if I would want to run that track.
I assume that Tim was also the owner of the GT that crashed?