Our Friend From NZ Wow's Them All

Kiwi

Nov 1, 2006
NZ... Ford in the family
Originally, yes. That's two pretty big accidents (that I know of) which potentially could have been very nasty, that he's managed to walk away from.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Neil, do you have more pictures for the picture hungry?? ;)

My dad has the other GT in NZ, and also imported yours in to NZ for the first owner. Incidentally, did you see he crashed something else expensive the other day??

http://www.kiwidragracing.com/multimedia/wheelies_crashes/Watkins_Crash_1.WMV
KIWI
Yes I have lots of pic's of the build so far,PM me and I will send them to you.
If you come to taupo you are more than welcome to have a look at the carand tack some pic's yourself.
I think your dad still has the car cover from when he had the car at his workshop after tim's crash,check it out for me if you don't mind.
:cheers NEIL

Kiwi

Nov 1, 2006
NZ... Ford in the family
Whoops took me a while to get back here, lol.

I just spoke to my dad, he believes that everything that was with the car went with it when the insurance company picked it up, he will check tomorrow around work but doesn't think he has seen it since the car left. :frown I'll chase it up with him tomorrow just to confirm.

I'm not sure we're going to make it to Taupo... lol I'm due to have a baby in Feb, so waddling around the track might not be a whole lot of fun ha ha!! But will PM you regarding pics. :)

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
GT race parts in development

I have just posted some more pic's in the gallery of some panels I made for racing.They are only fibreglass at this stage so I can modify them as I develop the GT.Later when I am satisfied that they work I will do them in carbon
:cheers NEIL

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Neil your car is coming along nicely. What material is all the white peices made out of?
second I noticed the name Steve Millen being associated with you and was wondering is he related to Reese millen the drift racer and father Rod Millen who did the GT comercial?

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Todd
thanks,all the white panels are fibreglass so I can modify it easily while I develop it for endurance racing,later I will make the finish product out off carbonfibre.:cheers
NEIL

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Great photos Neil!
Love those brakes!
Quick question: Will your AP brake set up fit the stock BBS rims?

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Great photos Neil!
Love those brakes!
Quick question: Will your AP brake set up fit the stock BBS rims?

No not without spacers on the front wheels,rears are no problem but you cant fit the e-brake on, as this is a race set up I dont need an e-brake:cheers
NEIL

Kiwi

Nov 1, 2006
NZ... Ford in the family
No cover Neil :(

I don't know a whole lot about making up those fibreglass parts, how do you do yours? Glass over a mold or something? (Forgive me if my total ignorance is showing...)

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm Steve Millen's son Kyle. We are the other New Zealanders racing our GT. We actually competed in a multi-day tarmac rally event. The event was covered by Road And Track magazine with a focus on our team, so keep an eye out for it. I think it comes out around March. For 5 days we put that car through absolute misery. Racing in Monsoon like conditions around a famous New Zealand race-track "Pukekohe" (actual pronunciation is poo-ka-ko-ee.) And also having stages that were beautifully clear and warm. It was a complete blast. And the car did a tremendous job.

We actually built the car in our Southern California shop "Stillen." We made a custom chromoly roll-cage, custom muffler delete X-pipe with billet aluminum clamps and a ceramic coated finish. Cat delete mid-pipes and of course a smaller pulley with some special tuning. We are the sole-distributors of AP racing in North America so of course we put on our AP racing big brake kit. As well as an AP Racing high-performance clutch. We only had about 3 months to build the car and we only worked on it on nights and weekends. We took ownership of it in early June and shipped it to New Zealand in the middle of August. The car was black when we got it so we repainted it a special House of Kolors Orange with some anthrocite racing stripes down the center. We also used the optional BBS wheels but before they were mounted we painted them anthrocite gray to match the stripes.

Overall the car ran perfectly. We didn't have any major issues. We ran into a little problem with brake fade but once we tossed out the crappy Motul 600 fluid and replaced it with the Castrol 1000 fluid we never had another problem. We ended up finishing third in our class and I think 18th overall. Which wasn't bad considering those other 17 cars were all wheel drive and the first two days consisted of torrential downpours on roads covered with gravel (sometimes we would go through an entire stage without ANY traction.) When we went to the Pukekohe race track we were literally racing in a monsoon...That didn't stop us from flying by Porsches and all the other competition at well over 160 MPH...This was the only part of the rally that did not have a speed limit. Every other part had a speed limit of 130 MPH (200 KMH) which we were constantly running up against.

It was a lot of fun and the car is actually on its way home as I type this. We are going to go through it again, give it more power and rework a few things. We definitely plan on competing again this year and this time we want to get some good grippy tires instead of the factory tires we raced on this year. As you can imagine, they would warm up and wear out pretty quickly.

Here is a link to the actual event and the second link is a bunch of pictures of our car.

http://www.targa.co.nz/index.aspx

http://www.groundsky.co.nz/

to view the pictures click on "DUNLOP Targa NZ 2006"
Click on "View the CD online"
and look for car #907 (6th row from the left 12th listing down.)

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Hi

I am not seeing the targets for the links.

Can you double check or am I missing them?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I double checked and they are in there and functioning. Can you just not see the links? If you can't see the links, try highlighting my post and it should bring up the font better. For some reason the links cameout in a dark gray that is kind of blending into the background of this site.

AZGT-I sent you a PM with the links. Please let me know if this works...

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I double checked and they are in there and functioning. Can you just not see the links? If you can't see the links, try highlighting my post and it should bring up the font better. For some reason the links cameout in a dark gray that is kind of blending into the background of this site.

AZGT-I sent you a PM with the links. Please let me know if this works...

Would love to see your car when it gets back to Socal. Great post and info, and the links opened for me.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Tires

QUOTE: this time we want to get some good grippy tires instead of the factory tires we raced on this year. As you can imagine, they would warm up and wear out pretty quickly.

Nice post and thank for the update. Not sure if they will have the correct sizes - but try some Hoosier Dirt Track Oval tires - they work great in the rain (on tarmac) and are super in the dirt.

Gordo