Opinion on this car appreciated

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
This car fits what I'm after in regards to a car that I'll drive and price point. Just talked to the owner's son and learned that the owner's wife backed into the car in the driveway years ago and the rear clam shell was replaced. He said it arrived from Ford painted and ready to install. There is no report of repair on the Carfax. Also the fuel gauge hasn't worked for years.
Will have a PPI if I get more serious, but right now, a bit of air has gone out of my enthusiasm for this car.
Would like to hear any opinions on this one.
Here is a link to the car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...akeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=GT&clickType=listing

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Well if your enthusiasm is not there for the car move on. Car is probably priced good for a car with its miles and one you can drive. Make them an offer on it or keep searching.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Sounds ok to me. The gauges all eventually quit. Offer less.

Ed

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
My fuel gauge went out last year. Easy fix.

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Is the clam shell an exterior piece that is "numbered" to make a car numbers matching?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gauge normal. Clamshell story hmmm
Need thorough expert PPI for sure

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Is the clam shell an exterior piece that is "numbered" to make a car numbers matching?
most of the GT body panels have an anti theft sticker with the VIN. the clam shell sticker is on the bottom edge when the clam shell is up. hard to find so probably use a mirror if you can from the engine side. sometimes the anti theft sticker on the clam shell is very easy to find on the one side but not always. some of the other stickers are not visible after assembly such as the wheel well liners to see the back side of the front fenders. the hood, side quarter panels and other exterior parts should have the stickers as well but hard to see. look at the doors at the hinge side as well. of course chassis is stamped under the RH fender under the splash liner and also on the bottom side of the frame on the rear cross member but under the diffuser pan. also look at the right rear upright frame section on the back side. there is a chassis number and date on the frame. (not the VIN). the date should range from 2005-2006. if it's 2007 or newer than the chassis frame has been changed out, probably from an accident. I can do a PPI if the car is in Michigan or Ohio.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Looks like the same car that was listed earlier on this forum

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
it is the same car

we also know many cars were deemed salvage due to much less than a clamshell replacement

this would be considered a car with a history and the price should reflect that.

you need a PPI regardless but if this is not your cup of tea as mentioned before continue your search for something else.

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Looks like the same car that was listed earlier on this forum
Would you happen to know if the thread is still around or how I might find it?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Yes I got the same story when I was looking for one, I think you can get it less than the asking price. I passed on it because it had the top stripes and being black I felt, (Just my opinion), that I rather have no stripes, just my taste. The work on the car looks good, if it is not on the car fax, so what? but the VIN number would be missing. If your going to drive it, its all good! However get a PPI, call Rich Brooks. He did mine and I cannot say enough!

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anyone who buys a Ford GT and does not drive it,missing the best part of ownership
I say that based on my 52k of smile miles!
Already have 2k in month of driving my new GT!
Some good advice on the Forum for getting a PPI
Rich Brooks of GT GUY LLC is the GT expert!

PJA

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2011
I have a 2006, black, 3 option, same price range, Rich Brooks knows the car.
Give me a call if interested, 914-490-8365, Pat

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The car in the 1st post have been offered here on this site recently

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
The car in the 1st post have been offered here on this site recently
Looked in the "for sale" and didn't see it. Maybe I just missed it, but if you have a link, would be much appreciated. The seller has seemed honest and transparent and provided the invoices for the clam shell replacement....total of $30,000 to repair.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That post is gone, I had e-mailed it to someone, and the link no longer works.

Saw this as I was looking for the other car.

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Gauge normal. Clamshell story hmmm
Need thorough expert PPI for sure
Talking with owner and a few things just not adding up. Received a message from someone who looked into the car a bit when it was listed here and sounds like there may be more to it then a clam shell replacement. Apparently asking price was $225K, then was $250K, and now $259K.... thinking I'll move on

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not many things more discouraging than an inflating asking price once a little interest is expressed. Could be a great car, but that alone would have me walking.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.....the owner's wife backed into the car in the driveway years ago and the rear clam shell was replaced. He said it arrived from Ford painted and ready to install.

Gentlemen,

I'm not aware of Ford parts selling GT clam shells "painted and ready to install". You can buy a clam shell but unless I'm seriously mistaken there is no way to have it painted by Ford in your GT's colors and ready to mount. It had to be painted at a body shop somewhere. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
you are right Chip but perhaps it was ordered by a ford dealership for the owner and it was painted by the same dealership, so they are saying ford when they mean a ford dealer

the guy posted this car on the forum asking 250 and got no response, he replied back asking if his price was out of range and he asked if 225 would be better some responded and said 225 is too low. I dont believe he ever listed for 225 and raised the price but rather asked if 225 would get it sold quickly, I responded and told him at 239 he would probably get offers.