One more off the bucket list

Cwcsvt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2016
Vancouver WA
Well, I was finally able to secure a 2005 Ford GT. It is a dream come true for me as well as my son. I am so very thankful for this opportunity and I love the smiles the car brings to everyone. I've been able to own some wonderful cars, but this one is the most special. I applied for a 17' but to no avail. I told myself if I was unable to get one of them I would find one of these and low and behold I found this car within 300 miles of home and in the color I love. I had never even seen a black one before in real life. At any rate, the weather will hold out tomorrow and I will pick my son up from school in it. I cant wait to see his smile.. This car is the one we always keep an eye out for. Looking forward to making some memories with this car and meeting more folks who share this passion. Love to find some owners in the NW if they are on this forum. Looking forward to the future!

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 500
  • F73DC368-6FFB-4C2C-8BE1-0C618A300C07.jpg
    F73DC368-6FFB-4C2C-8BE1-0C618A300C07.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 464

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Congratulations
You are going to love driving the car.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congratulations and welcome.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Congrats you will love the car and get ready to put on a car show every time you get gas.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Congrats and welcome!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Congratulations looks like some good company for the GT.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our group!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Congratulations! Beautiful cars, all. Welcome to the forum.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
You will love it! Welcome! Give us your impressions when you can.

Joe

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Beautiful car. Welcome to the Forum. You'll absolutely love it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There are a couple threads like the one below here on the 'Forum...but, this was the only one I could find at the moment. You may find it helpful:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-new-owner?highlight=advice+for+new+GT+owners

My own list of initial 'biggies':

- remember that 1st gear is further 'left' than you initially will think it is. You'll want make sure you're in 1st and not in 3rd when taking off from a full stop. (Your clutch - and your wallet - will thank you!)

- WATCH YOUR HEAD when getting in/out of the car...especially when getting OUT! As you've probably know by now (sarc), something like 40%(?) of the roof comes with the door when you open it! All of us have forgotten that little factoid at least once and whacked our heads on the darned door. Warn your passengers about that before they get in...and again before they get out.

- try to get an 'end' parking place when/if 'angle parking' so that no one can park on your drivers' side. Otherwise you may either have to enter thru the passenger door and climb over the console (not fun)...or wait for the driver of the offending car to move it. (You'll need at least 3 feet of 'operating' space!)

- if backing into a parking space, remember that the rear diffuser WILL hit those concrete parking space 'stops' before the rear tires will. You don't want that!

- similarly, remember that there's a lot of 'overhang' in front. The chin spoiler will hit any change in roadway or driveway 'grade' before the front tires will (road-to-driveway approaches for instance). 'Best to take those at a severe angle if you can.

- when 'parallel parking', remember to consciously leave more space away from the curb than you think is necessary! When you get out of the car and look, you'll find the wheels are a LOT closer to the curb than you ever dreamed they'd be!

- drive the GT like a '48 Volkswagen in cold weather (defined as anything under 50 degrees). The colder the weather, the less traction you're going to have. The car will 'come around' on you easily in cold temps if too much throttle is applied...especially if the front wheels aren't pointed 'straight ahead'.

- you'll likely hear a 'rattling' sound coming out of the tranny when it's in neutral with the engine at idle...especially if you happen to be outside the car. Don't panic. That's 'normal' for the Ricardo.

- until the tranny warms up, the 'one-two' shift many result in 'gear grinding'. That too is normal for a Ricardo. 'Best to granny shift and/or double clutch the thing OR (best choice IMHO) bypass 2nd and go directly to 3rd until the tranny has warmed up.

- double check for 'lookie-loos' perched on your rear quarter before changing lanes. You'll be amazed by what you can't see sitting back there!

:wink :cheers

Last edited:

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
There are a couple threads like the one below here on the 'Forum...but, this was the only one I could find at the moment. You may find it helpful:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-new-owner?highlight=advice+for+new+GT+owners

My own list of initial 'biggies':

What a great list of GT information. Enjoy driving your beautiful looking new ride, just be careful with cold tires !

- remember that 1st gear is further 'left' than you initially will think it is. You'll want make sure you're in 1st and not in 3rd when taking off from a full stop. (Your clutch - and your wallet - will thank you!)

- WATCH YOUR HEAD when getting in/out of the car...especially when getting OUT! As you've probably know by now (sarc), something like 40%(?) of the roof comes with the door when you open it! All of us have forgotten that little factoid at least once and whacked our heads on the darned door. Warn your passengers about that before they get in...and again before they get out.

- try to get an 'end' parking place when/if 'angle parking' so that no one can park on your drivers' side. Otherwise you may either have to enter thru the passenger door and climb over the console (not fun)...or wait for the driver of the offending car to move it. (You'll need at least 3 feet of 'operating' space!)

- if backing into a parking space, remember that the rear diffuser WILL hit those concrete parking space 'stops' before the rear tires will. You don't want that!

- similarly, remember that there's a lot of 'overhang' in front. The chin spoiler will hit any change in roadway or driveway 'grade' before the front tires will (road-to-driveway approaches for instance). 'Best to take those at a severe angle if you can.

- when 'parallel parking', remember to consciously leave more space away from the curb than you think is necessary! When you get out of the car and look, you'll find the wheels are a LOT closer to the curb than you ever dreamed they'd be!

- drive the GT like a '48 Volkswagen in cold weather (defined as anything under 50 degrees). The colder the weather, the less traction you're going to have. The car will 'come around' on you easily in cold temps if too much throttle is applied...especially if the front wheels aren't pointed 'straight ahead'.

- you'll likely hear a 'rattling' sound coming out of the tranny when it's in neutral with the engine at idle...especially if you happen to be outside the car. Don't panic. That's 'normal' for the Ricardo.

- until the tranny warms up, the 'one-two' shift many result in 'gear grinding'. That too is normal for a Ricardo. 'Best to granny shift and/or double clutch the thing OR (best choice IMHO) bypass 2nd and go directly to 3rd until the tranny has warmed up.

- double check for 'lookie-loos' perched on your rear quarter before changing lanes. You'll be amazed by what you can't see sitting back there!

:wink :cheers

Great checklist for a new owner. Enjoy driving your GT, just be careful with cold tires.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Congratulations! Perfect match to the Porsches. You will love it. :cheers

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Congrats!!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Stunning car and welcome to the Forum.

Vince H

Tomcat

GT Owner
Pop the rear clamshell after a drive to allow the heat to escape and help avoid warping the plastic vents.
Get Bridgestone tires

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congratulations and welcome. As Chip Beck had originally told me, be sure to go to a GT Rally! There are some of the best people you would ever want to meet enjoying a passion that we all share. :thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congratulation and welcome!

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Congratulation! As all the others have said, you will love this car. Since you have other performance cars, think you have a handle on the driving issues. EP has said it like it is and do seriously heed the warning about cold tires.

There are many FGT's in the NW. Where we live, on the northern Olympic Peninsula, there is a C & C every 2nd Saturday of the month. Would be a great drive for you on I-5 to Olympia then pick up 101 and go north. Send a PM if you want to attend sometime and will get you the location as we tend to move this gathering from time to time and other like minded collectors host the gatherings at their home/shop.

BTW: Black is the fastest!

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Congratulations on your new GT! It's an awesome vehicle. You can count on great advice and assistance from some extremely knowledgeable GT Forum members. Enjoy!

Oceanside GT