One Gripe, One Accolade

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
First the gripe. So I am cleaning the inside of my GT in preparation for Carlisle like many of us do and removed the driver side “floor mat” to vacuum the pan out. The mat comes out sticky and appears to be of a sandwich construction. Black rubbery plastic exterior shell with a black foam core underneath. Most likely part of the Noise, Vibration, Harshness (NVH) interior acoustic package. Problem is the “glue” (or whatever adhesive substance) used to keep the two pieces together is not doing well and is oozing out allowing a debonding between the two mat components and creating a mess. This may be a time related issue or possibly a temperature related problem although the car is seldom parked in the sun (except at a DBK rally). Anyone else experienced this issue? Any solutions to fixing the OE mats? Replacing with new Ford mats with the same adhesive is not a preferred solution, nor removing the OE mats and replacing with carpet or something else.

Now the accolade. I have owned my GT for over 3 years now and never remember anyone talking about or describing the front bolster webbed pocket on our seats. I just happened to see it while I was down removing the floor mat. There is a web pocket located on the lower front portion of each of our seats which could contain a wallet, cell phone, loose change, key ring etc. With storage crevices always at a premium, I thought this was an interesting find and never knew it was there. Perhaps others did? Anyway good thinking Ford interior designers for giving us ways to store our stuff, limited as it may be!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Now the accolade. I have owned my GT for over 3 years now and never remember anyone talking about or describing the front bolster webbed pocket on our seats. I just happened to see it while I was down removing the floor mat. There is a web pocket located on the lower front portion of each of our seats which could contain a wallet, cell phone, loose change, key ring etc. With storage crevices always at a premium, I thought this was an interesting find and never knew it was there. Perhaps others did? Anyway good thinking Ford interior designers for giving us ways to store our stuff, limited as it may be!

Au contraire mon frere

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget, he's an engineer, not an explorer. Where have you been Indy?

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
I accolade every time I drive mine (today)

My 3 pet peeves are (fire suit on):
single CD player.
no cruise control (one pound of equipment....)
and, the RH mirror glass hangs outside of the mirror housing (tacky)

Larry

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
My only 2 pet peeves (and I told this to Neil Hannemann), are:

1. No "one touch" up or down for the power windows. C'mon, this wasn't in the ford parts bin?? (I'd like to get my hand back to the steering wheel asap thank you very much) and
2. No "lighted switches" for the power windows or door locks (although that's a really minor thing that I don't really give two hoots about, I just figured that it would be in place with the one touch - unless they are lighted and mine just don't work??? :eek).

Like everyone else here, I love my car!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I ordered a back-up pair of the Ford OEM rubber matts; the foam insides are bonded in. They were sealed in plastic.

On close inspection I saw the seepage of the glue adhesive seeping right onto the plastic shrink wrap. I returned and ordered another pair; same issue.

My take is its meant to seat permanently down on floor and create a contact seal. Not removable.

Be very car3ful as the glue is very hard to get off on rubber tops of Matts (used simply green; harsher stuff will grey/white cloud the black rubber); and glue could easily damage leather seats, dash, cowl, fascia surrounds.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Problem is the “glue” (or whatever adhesive substance) used to keep the two pieces together is not doing well and is oozing out allowing a debonding between the two mat components and creating a mess. Anyone else experienced this issue?

I noticed my driver's side mat is starting to do the same. I installed a louder exhaust, a smaller pulley, and Torrie's tune. Now I no longer care about the mat.

Au contraire mon frere

I didn't know about the little net until I ran across DBK's post. Another thanks to DBK.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I remember when I found the pocket on my GT... I was totally stoked. I also remember when my floor mats turned to goo on me. I was not as stoked.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
hmmm floor mats to goo doesnt sound very good...

anyone have an alternative?? I have the FGT mats over top of the factory ones which may be hiding the glue issues... :willy

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
hmmm floor mats to goo doesnt sound very good...

anyone have an alternative??

Ray,

You could always just buy another GT just for the extra floor mats. :wink

Best Regards,
Waldo

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Dave you are good!

Don't know how I could have missed this post, however it was around the time I joined the forum and I may not have known to read all your posts at that time.

I've learned since then.....

Thanks! (But I was a bit stoked with the net pocket find!)

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dave you are good!

Don't know how I could have missed this post, however it was around the time I joined the forum and I may not have known to read all your posts at that time.

I've learned since then.....

Thanks! (But I was a bit stoked with the net pocket find!)

Don't feel bad about missing it. I pointed it out to somebody at last year's rally. He couldn't believe he had owned his car for almost 2 years and hadn't seen it.

p.s. You guys realize that complaining about your GT is kind of like complaining that your 21 year old super model girl friend looks 18.

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
Wow, I never knew about this. I can't wait to get home from work to check it out.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Pull the OEM mats and store them. Install Lloyd mats instead. Far more comfortable, luxurious appearance, wider so aluminum in the foot wells is protected, and ~1" of additional vertical space (for those otherwise cramped).

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Where do you get Lloyd Mats? (Dealer pointed out seat storage nets to me when I picked car up Nov. 2005)

Richard Hille
The GT School

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
p.s. You guys realize that complaining about your GT is kind of like complaining that your 21 year old super model girl friend looks 18.

Please note that I have not complained about either. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... I just happened to see it while I was down removing the floor mat.

Bingo. 'Exactly the way I found 'em as well! 'Had owned the car 6 months or so B4 I spotted 'em...

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I have my custom mats down on the floor. Now I'm afraid to look under them!!!:eek:ack:willy

I didn't know about the front seat pocket!!!Man thats EXCELLENT!!!. Its like finding an ice cold bottle of Poland Spring water after walking 20 miles in the desert. :banana A prime find for sure!!!:thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I dont complain about any of the little issues with GTs and I can assure you I get to deal with ALL of them. However you look at it, these are GREAT GREAT cars!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I dont complain about any of the little issues with GTs and I can assure you I get to deal with ALL of them. However you look at it, these are GREAT GREAT cars!

:agree: