Oil filter warning

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I ordered the mann filters from germanfilters.com about a year ago. I installed filter #1 then. The test drive revealed reduced oil pressure and zero pressure briefly at idle. Luckily I only went 1 block on the test drive.

I purchased a different brand filter locally and replaced the Mann. Problem solved. I thought I might have tightened the cap too much and obstructed a passage. I changed my oil this weekend and decided to give the Mann Filters another try. This one was a little better, but still zero pressure at idle. The remainder of the case is going in the trash today.

Luckily the local auto parts stores now list filters for the GT.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Which brand of filter did you just go with?
Part #?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Last time I used an STP filter for the bmw 330. It worked perfectly. I will install a Purolator Premium Plus L25247. It is listed as the GT filter, but it looks small to me. I'll compare it to a new Mann filter since I have 8 new ones left. If it compares on size I'll install it, test drive and post the results tomorrow.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the update.....

Did you "prime" the system after the change... Hold pedal down and crank for 20 sec...

Silver we know ya but I have to ask sorry

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
BMW uses the same oil filter as our GTs. If you look at the correct Mann filter parts number, you will find this (HU925) affixed to the filter element. It's the same as the one that you get from Ford, except Ford sells it at about six times more $ :rofl (ask me how I know :biggrin)

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Problem solved. The purolater filter returns 60-75 psi at startup and over 40 at idle. I think the filters from that website could be phony. I agree that they are identical to the Ford factory filters. Maybe the media is too restrictive. Maybe I received a bad batch of filters. Either way no more filters via the internet for me.

I know about the 20 second full throttle starting procedure to prime the system. The zero pressure was happening after about two minutes of running.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I would suspect the guage circuit over the ability of a new paper filter to block 40 PSI.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
If anyone wants my remaining 8 filters they can try one on their car. It is strange that if I use another brand filter the pressure is back up where it should be.

On our indy trip the group would read out temp and oil pressure from time to time. With the stp filter I was right in line with everyone else. I agree that 40 plus psi should blow out the filter, but there is some reinforcement in the plastic tube in the center that could hold the pressure. Either way I'm not risking a $5 savings on a questionable filter.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I shipped 4 of these filters to Its Only Money to compare to a Ford filter. Hopefully this is just for R&D. I will never put these in my motor again.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Okay let me ask the obvious followup question:

'Anybody else had this pblm after changing their oil & using the Mann filter?

I ask because, if I remember right, pretty much everybody is using the Mann & you're the 1st to have experienced this pblm as far as I know, 'bullit. I'm wondering if, as you suggested, your filter SOURCE was the pblm.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I had the GT Guys install a Mann filter on mine. They didn't share any comments good or bad at the time.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My only point is that I think that there are counterfeit Mann filters floating around. The filters I shipped today are in green and yellow Mann boxes and they have the proper part number on the filter.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My only point is that I think that there are counterfeit Mann filters floating around. The filters I shipped today are in green and yellow Mann boxes and they have the proper part number on the filter.

'Just checked the ones I got from Bavarian AutoSport ...'same deal ... green/yellow box ...HU 925 4/x.

Let's see what the feedback is...

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
Okay let me ask the obvious followup question:

'Anybody else had this pblm after changing their oil & using the Mann filter?

I ask because, if I remember right, pretty much everybody is using the Mann & you're the 1st to have experienced this pblm as far as I know, 'bullit. I'm wondering if, as you suggested, your filter SOURCE was the pblm.

NO!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I just did an oil change using the Mann filter from German filters, Oil pressure at hot idle is 30 to 35, cruise is about 55. The only odd thing is that the filter was a very tight fit onto the center shaft. The old filter also a Mann from German filters looked to be about what I would expect.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I use a Mann without any problems.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've done a dozen or more GT oil changes. A few of the early ones were with the Ford-boxed, Motocraft with a Mann filter inside (along with the copper washer that is intendd for a BMW and not our cars) and the majority of the remaining changes with the green/yellow-boxed Mann filters. From very detailed inspection (including Mann designation and part numbers), fit on the plastic shaft, and running oil pressures, the filters are identical. I'm almost convinced that there's a guy in the back room of Ford somewhere whose job is to lift the filter out of the green/yellow Mann box and place it in the Motorcraft box. since the rubber o-ring and the copper washer are packaged together, the copper ring gets to go along in the Motorcraft box.

I am as perplexed as anyone regarding Silverbullitt's experience(s). I have absolutely no doubt of his (bad) experiences, but I also cannot physically explain how an improper filter (which upon removal "appears" normal), could cause the abnormalities that he (unfortunately) experienced.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
No problems with my MANN HU 925 filters either. Silverbullet, can you post a picture of your "bad" filters? Maybe there is something we can see.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ditto

Used the Mann HU925/4X (Yellow/Green box) last oil change, no problems. Have another change to do shortly and will advise if any thing different develops.
I too am at a loss to understand/explain Silverbullitt's problems. And I believe his account accuracy. Just perplexing......

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I use the K&N oil filters (no...not the air filters, although I do have these on my car as well) on my GT. Since K&N are filters experts, and I have heard good things about their oil filter materials, I have had no issues with these whatsoever.