Oh great, another gauge failure.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
This was manufactured for the OEM FGT gauges by a company called SIMCO.

And damn proud of it; http://www.simcoaftermarket.com/specialty-oem/micro-air-core/

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I’m going to stick my neck out on this one. I personally feel that the majority of these gauge failures is due to a voltage transient on the electrical system. This momentary voltage transient can be high enough in magnitude to damage (blow) the main controller IC (integrated circuit) and/or voltage regulator that’s on the internal circuit board. This transient could also be a reverse voltage pulse. I have not seen the inside of one of these damaged gauges however a few persons have described it as a burned up IC package. I feel that corners were cut in the basic electrical engineering to save a few cents.

When time permits, I am going to design a plug-in voltage transient clamp with emphasis on protecting the +12 volt line that supplies power to the gauges. If my theory is correct, this would be a cheap trick.

More later, Jay
www.fastanalog.com

That would be a simple zener diode. Figure out how to splice it into the connector from the gauge control unit to the gauge. If the socket/plugs were available it would be a simple pass through on all but the power line with the zener in the harness... It could be a single part if the gauges all use the same plug, but they probably don't to prevent someone from plugging the ammeter in the fuel gauge.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The problem of "Air Core" stepper motors was first posted on the Mustang Forum and you can even find links where it shows how to replace them...

The part that goes bad in the Autometer gauge is the air core motor. This was manufactured for the OEM FGT gauges by a company called SIMCO.

'Got it.

One would think, if that's the only diff, replacing the "Air Core" units with the ones Speedhut uses would make everything 'stellar'...but, evidently it doesn't.

Like I said, 'too deep for me... :willy

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Ford's warranty on parts is 12 months/20,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first (from the back of a parts invoice).

Ford Motor Company will announce at the annual Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo (AAPEX) trade show the launch of a new warranty on Genuine Ford and Motorcraft service parts. The new warranty provides unlimited mileage coverage for 24 months from time of purchase or installation. Ford will also now reimburse fleets and independent repair facilities up to $150 in labor coverage. Ford continues a No Commercial Exceptions policy as a commitment to fleet customers.

Looks like Ford will at least be on the hook for 2 years on replacement gauges now....

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ford Motor Company will announce at the annual Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo (AAPEX) trade show the launch of a new warranty on Genuine Ford and Motorcraft service parts. The new warranty provides unlimited mileage coverage for 24 months from time of purchase or installation. Ford will also now reimburse fleets and independent repair facilities up to $150 in labor coverage. Ford continues a No Commercial Exceptions policy as a commitment to fleet customers.

Looks like Ford will at least be on the hook for 2 years on replacement gauges now....
And on the 732nd day, the first replacement gauge will fail................................

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
But will they be considered 'Ford parts'? They are made by an independent manufacturer that I would assume would have their own warranty??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The replacements due in August will most definitely NOT be a Ford part - nor available through Ford.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The ones you buy from the dealer in a ford parts box carry the warranty. The ones Autometer may make available will carry their own warranty (or not) from Autometer as they would not be Ford parts. May actually be a good thing though. Autometer usually stands behind their own products pretty good.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Autometer usually stands behind their own products pretty good.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaha!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Guess you had a bad experience with them. Mine has been pretty limited, and only one failure of a 270deg sweep stepper motor volt meter (cobalt series) and they were quick to replace it when I sent it in. I take it that is not normal for them on their aftermarket gauges? I have purchased quite a number of their products over the years and only had the one failure.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I was referring to their side of the back and forth finger pointing with Ford over the GT gauges. It is THEIR gauges that are failing - but I think they are still in denial.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Kendall, do you have any experience/recommendations with regard to the SpeedHut direct read vs. algorithmic boost gauges?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kendall, do you have any experience/recommendations with regard to the SpeedHut direct read vs. algorithmic boost gauges?

algorithmic

dancemastergore.gif

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The speedhut gauges - just like the OEM gauges are on the car's bus (network) and the boost gauge, in particular, is picking up what the Ford ECU is telling it. The ECU calculates boost based on knowing atmospheric pressure, engine rpm, displacement, MAF, throttle position, etc. More than enough info is present for the car to efficiently calculate boost....... until the owner changes something. Typically a smaller pulley swap and a tune that doesn't incorporate a MAFia (scaling of MAF readings to lie to the ECU), will still yield a boost value that is reasonably close to reality. When you change to a Whipple, TT, and/or incorporate a MAFia in conjunction with a tune - your OEM (or Speedhut) boost gauge is off of the reservation. *IF* you want to have accuracy in these modified scenarios - you should explore a "direct read" boost gauge.

My personal view is that the boost gauge (except for the TT cars) is a more or less useless gauge for both driving and diagnostic information. In the SC applications - on those occasions where the car is not making boost (bypass valve issue, for example), you can FEEL the loss of power. Very, very few SC scenarios where you have partial boost where a gauge may be able to help you. Totally different story in the TT cars where boost, by definition, is both variable and adjustable. An accurate, direct-read boost gauge is a must.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Very good.....thanks......

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Kendall thanks as always for the informative post.

I struggle to understand why the FGT instrumentation engineers opted for a "calculated" boost for our SC engine. As you point out there are a number of variables that have to be synthesized to arrive at the ECU boost pressure signal. And if the ECU knows actual barometric pressure (undoubtedly for fuel mapping routines) another similar measurement of SC output pressure could also have been measured (you would think).

It just strikes me as so much easier to put a pressure transducer (like oil pressure) below the SC plane and measure output pressure. Send that electrical signal to the instrument gauge. But perhaps they had a particular reason for going the calculation route.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, Indy, I agree. And is getting even a bit stranger. On the Boss 302 Mustangs (and likely on other Mustangs as well - I just don't know definitively), there is a customary water temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. Just try to find the sending unit (as I did) - only to discover that there isn't one! Yep, a water temperature gauge, but NO means to measure the water temperature. Instead, the car has cylinder head temperatures. And then from the cylinder head temperatures, the ECU derives what must be the corresponding water temperature. I have a lot of trust/faith in the Ford Engineers, but I've been toying with cars and engines for 40 years and I know well how to judge/predict/react to various water temp scenarios. So, just how good is Ford's algorithm for translating CHT's to coolant temps? I put a "direct read" gauge into my Boss.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, Indy, I agree. And is getting even a bit stranger. On the Boss 302 Mustangs (and likely on other Mustangs as well - I just don't know definitively), there is a customary water temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. Just try to find the sending unit (as I did) - only to discover that there isn't one! Yep, a water temperature gauge, but NO means to measure the water temperature. Instead, the car has cylinder head temperatures. And then from the cylinder head temperatures, the ECU derives what must be the corresponding water temperature. I have a lot of trust/faith in the Ford Engineers, but I've been toying with cars and engines for 40 years and I know well how to judge/predict/react to various water temp scenarios. So, just how good is Ford's algorithm for translating CHT's to coolant temps? I put a "direct read" gauge into my Boss.

Wow Kendall! That's really interesting regarding the new Boss water temps. Would sure love to hear from a Ford Tech on how and why this approach is utilized.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
in certain race cars we add CHT gauges....I wonder why they don't just call it what it is???