Oh great, another gauge failure.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What kind of corrosion? Oxidation? Galvanic? We don't know anything. Well, anything useful.

Back to the OP. Lost tach and temp at the same time? While driving? WTF kind of synchronous corrosion is that?

Rust never sleeps. - Neil Young

Last edited:

kinger

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Newtown, Pa
05 red white stripe fuel, temp & boost gauges bad have new ones scared to put in crazy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
05 red white stripe fuel, temp & boost gauges bad have new ones scared to put in crazy
Speedhuts now or wait for Ford to come out with the new and improved gauges.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Speedo started doing a tap dance as I was parking yesterday. Any suggestions?
It eventually went back to zero. The grounds have been sanded since the first gauge died, and I made the switch to the Die Hard years ago. The "fix" won't come soon enough.
So far it's a tach, a fuel gauge, and potentially a speedo. To put it in perspective, I've racked up five times more than what I paid for my first car in dead gauges.
But they do make for really expensive and cool paper weights.:frown

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
We don't know this to be true.

What percentage of gauges have failed? 5%? 10%? There were 28,266 gauges installed. I'd guess well under 5%.
1 single failure is enough.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Guess you had a bad experience with them. Mine has been pretty limited, and only one failure of a 270deg sweep stepper motor volt meter (cobalt series) and they were quick to replace it when I sent it in. I take it that is not normal for them on their aftermarket gauges? I have purchased quite a number of their products over the years and only had the one failure.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I quess if you can make an argument it is a safety issue : class action suit!
I had one of the first NSX's. A class action suit was won against American Honda because of "premature" wear of rear tires posed a hazard! Owners received a coupon for 2 additional set of rear tires
I can't believe I am bringing the possibility of getting attorneys involved (I am a physician)!

We don't know this to be true.

What percentage of gauges have failed? 5%? 10%? There were 28,266 gauges installed. I'd guess well under 5%.
Enough have failed (I lost boost and fuel) to establish with no doubt that none of them can be trusted to last.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I was referring to their side of the back and forth finger pointing with Ford over the GT gauges. It is THEIR gauges that are failing - but I think they are still in denial.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I just ordered the complete Speedhut cluster. It also comes with the black insert, so I don't have to modify the original one! Ordered the legacy boost gauge with the sending unit so now, I'll get the real boost pressure readout in the cluster! Thank god!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Just to make the point about future replacement costs on modern classics. As we are discussing gauge problems on this forum. On the z8 forum they are discussing replacement costs and issues of the rear lights which are neon. BMW announced there would be replacement parts available for 50 yrs! Though they thought the neon lights would last longer! Of course they are not! Replacement costs up to $10000 for both !!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
These gauge threads are getting out of hand. Enough is enough. The car is 8 years out of production. It's not Fords responsibility to foot the bill to fix gauges that are 9 - 10 years old. Things fail, they don't last forever. When ford produced the car, they sold it with a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty..., a much better warranty then 9 out of 10 super cars came with at the time and they stood behind their product just as they said they would for the time they said they would. If you have a broken gauge and don't want to worry about future failures, BUY the speedhut gauges. If its going to ruin your entire ownership of the car, then sell it. I'm not trying to be harsh, cause believe me, I have spent more than any other person on this forum on gauges..., but at the end of the day, it is NOT fords responsibility to spend tons of money and resources on fixing a problem like this on a car that's coming up on ten years old.

cammerboss

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
parker colo
John ,I got a temp gauge if you need one.
What happened with the GT3 RS?
i need temp gauge if you have one, thanks, bob 3038985115

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So how do you really feel?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First, the last traffic in this topic is almost 5 years old, so availability is questionable.

However, you would be well advised to obtain replacements for the small gauges directly from Autometer. A Ford gauge whether from Ford or anyone else, will fail with the same probability as any of the other gauges. The new Autometer gauges look the same as the original factory gauges but have innards of a different design. And as long as you have the instrument panel off, it might be worth considering replacing them all at the same time.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
This problem is well known. In many Ford V8s the oil pump is driven by a quill from the bottom of the distributor. That quill occasionally fails. I'm no expert, but for a variety of reasons I would doubt such a failure would occur in a GT motor.
The clearances in the oil pump of the 289 OHV engine are extremely small, so, if a small particle (smaller that the pickup screen openings) enters the pump, it locks it up. The failure then happens as the pump stops and the camshaft and driven distributor keep turning, twisting the intermediate drive shaft. The last time, I replaced it with an ARP drive shaft, although, if it happens again, I'm afraid it will transfer the problem to a more expensive location. As a safety precaution, I install a new oil pump each time.

I agree that the GT motor would not have such a failure, but I agree with Lorenzo that a working oil pressure gauge is extremely important, not only because of the belt drive, but for any failure that might occur in the oiling system. The two gauges I feel are most important to any engine's livelihood are the oil pressure, and the oil temperature (not the water temp). Unfortunately, we only have one of these. A ammeter or voltmeter tells us the condition of the electrical system's operational status, and the water temperature lets us know if the cooling system is working [i.e, the coolant (water) pump is running]. A tachometer used to be a precautionary gauge to prevent overrevving an engine, but today's electronics seem to do this well enough, yet for racing, it helps us gauge our shift points. Speedometers are only necessary to let one know that we have entered the speed zone where we might be doing something unlawful. Regarding a boost/vacuum gauge, the only time I've looked at mine is when cruising, in order to keep the vacuum level high and thus get the best efficiency (fuel mileage) - If I'm in the boost range, my eyes are looking out the windshield, which seems more important at that time.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Speedo started doing a tap dance as I was parking yesterday. Any suggestions?
It eventually went back to zero. The grounds have been sanded since the first gauge died, and I made the switch to the Die Hard years ago. The "fix" won't come soon enough.
So far it's a tach, a fuel gauge, and potentially a speedo. To put it in perspective, I've racked up five times more than what I paid for my first car in dead gauges.
But they do make for really expensive and cool paper weights.:frown
Tim, your speedo went out because you drive so fast it can't keep up!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
How many qauges were already replaced under warranty? I think a few! Agree enough said! Dave however I really appreciate your efforts in this matter and "all things GT". I still have hope for a complete solution!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Shelby,

I agree it is not Ford's responsibility to guarantee that every part works forever. With a special car like this one might have expected them to step up and do more....but they didn't....so be it. But what we are owed from Ford is the ability to go buy a working replacement part.....not a part that has the very same likely failure mode. That's unacceptable. I'd be happy to pony up and just go buy another tach, no matter how outrageous the price, but that also could fail in a week. This is why I disagree.

And while I have sympathy with how many of these damn gauges you must have had to buy the situation is quite different. You buy a gauge, put it in, sell the car, make a profit, and all is good.....you got what you paid for. But we buy a gauge and it just fails again....and we do NOT get what we paid for.

What do you think buddy, does that make any sense?

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
First, the last traffic in this topic is almost 5 years old, so availability is questionable.

However, you would be well advised to obtain replacements for the small gauges directly from Autometer. A Ford gauge whether from Ford or anyone else, will fail with the same probability as any of the other gauges. The new Autometer gauges look the same as the original factory gauges but have innards of a different design. And as long as you have the instrument panel off, it might be worth considering replacing them all at the same time.
I replaced all my small gauges last August. The cost for brand new gauges direct from Autometer was $225 per unit.