non random stalling

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Just had 2 stall events.. both times appear to be related to low speed (under 15mph) neutral coasting, while turning the steering. Almost repeated itself a couple times more, and all events seem related to turning steering wheel at idle while coasting in.

Yeah, my gas cap is fine. No I dont have any codes. In fact i was driving home from passing emissions, which requires an OBD read.

So if i coast straight... no problem.... if i crank the wheel... problem...

now what?

BTW this is a pulley/tune car with half a tank of gas.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
when my O2 sensors are bad this sometimes happens (considering I run C16 all the time I change my O2's often). Also your tuner might be able to adjust the tune to increase the idle and this might fix it (did this to mine as well).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you have a SCT tuner then connect it to a laptop run livelink and log the idle control valve, STFT, and RPM. The ECU should compensate for load from the power steering pump logging will see if that is happening.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Who's tune? One suggestion is to swap the tune back to OEM and see if you can repeat the problem. (Don't go rompin' around on boost without the right tune but no harm/risk to run lower RPM tests such as one you have described.)

H

HHGT

Seasonal Gas may be?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Seasonal Gas may be?

Is that a nice term for Eggnog fart?

H

HHGT

Do they smell like eggs?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got the Heffner tune. usually pretty flawless, though i've had this issue intermittently in the past year.. maybe 5 times including today? I don't beleive the SCT tune that accompanies the tuner box has a "stock" option.. but i will recheck.. IIRC, it has a 91/93/100 tune. Is there some way to go back to stock with that being the case?

Aug 25, 2006
thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got the Heffner tune. usually pretty flawless, though i've had this issue intermittently in the past year.. maybe 5 times including today? I don't beleive the SCT tune that accompanies the tuner box has a "stock" option.. but i will recheck.. IIRC, it has a 91/93/100 tune. Is there some way to go back to stock with that being the case?

The SCT tuner has the OEM tune held within it as a process of the initial custom tune being loaded.

Now is your gal a TT or ?

Contact me as I would be glad to help

All the best

Shadowman

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
As said, the stock tune is in swapped into your SCT when you upload the Heffner tune.

BTW this is a pulley/tune car with half a tank of gas.

The SCT tuner has the OEM tune held within it as a process of the initial custom tune being loaded.

Now is your gal a TT or ?

So, I'd guess it's the "or ?" type, not a TT. With the "or ?" being the one with a pulley/tune. LOL

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
You know, this is the one problem I had with my GT stock, with a Hennessey tune, and even a couple times after I had it tuned by another Ford ECU expert. Also had the dealer try to diagnose it and even made him change the fuel filler pipe. It just sorta went away as I modded the crap out of the car but it always bugged me I never figured out what it was.

I think at one point, it even happened to me coasting without turning the wheel but it was initially and most often just like you described it.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Would the aforementioned bad O2 sensor trigger a CEL? I'd prefer to avoid changing out things if that is the case. i'm thinking of a whipple at some point, assuming business improves.. would that do anything to "fix" it? Yeah,yeah... dumb question i guess, since i haven't figured out what's causing it!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Would the aforementioned bad O2 sensor trigger a CEL? I'd prefer to avoid changing out things if that is the case. i'm thinking of a whipple at some point, assuming business improves.. would that do anything to "fix" it? Yeah,yeah... dumb question i guess, since i haven't figured out what's causing it!

probably.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
You know, this is the one problem I had with my GT stock, with a Hennessey tune, and even a couple times after I had it tuned by another Ford ECU expert. Also had the dealer try to diagnose it and even made him change the fuel filler pipe. It just sorta went away as I modded the crap out of the car but it always bugged me I never figured out what it was.

I think at one point, it even happened to me coasting without turning the wheel but it was initially and most often just like you described it.

mine pretty much was like this too. Pulley and tune it did it. Once to TT/SC I'm pretty sure it did it a couple times too. Mine only did it while in neutral, going straight and coming to a stop.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sounds like that tune isn't optimal for street use. I would bet Torrie has a tune that will fix it right.

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Mine has done the same thing, "in nuetral going straight and coming to a stop and died" , has done it a couple of times but fired right back up and ran fine

mine pretty much was like this too. Pulley and tune it did it. Once to TT/SC I'm pretty sure it did it a couple times too. Mine only did it while in neutral, going straight and coming to a stop.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have had this same sequence happen on other fords with manual trans. Its usually a slightly sticky idle air bypass valve. Usually more prone on cars that sit alot or over the winter. Varnish coat inside the valve. Easy to remove, clean and reinstall.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I think you have a lose connection on a wire harness or fuse somewhere. We have had similar issues that turned out to be such. Turning the steering wheel would not have anything to do with this if it were an 02 sensor, filler neck, etc. Check all fuse boxes, computer wire harnesses, etc.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This is an old thread, but in the last month I had a couple of similar stalls, both as I was coasting to a stop at a light, very low speed, warm conditions. My car is tuned pretty edgy so my sense was that a large envelope of hot follow-on air from the car's draft caught up to us and rolled into the car's intake and the mixture suddenly went really rich as a result and it stalled. No lights. Started right back up. Hmm.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
fwiw i've had no problems since my custom tune was done for my whipple. IDK if it will recur, of course. I do drive it a lot. I've been putting about 5k per year on the car.