New type of radar detector mount

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The mirror cord from Blendmount has a built in hidden fuse and two metal prong that insert into the slots on the mirror harness.
Requires no modifications. I believe the red goes in the far passenger side and the ground in the far driver side slot on OEM mirror.I can post a pic in a few days. I ordered from Blendmount because they have both the mount and cord, other comparable products out there

Any issues with the cords coming loose? That's the biggest complaint I think I've heard about that method of 'hardwiring' to the mirror.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Any issues with the cords coming loose? That's the biggest complaint I think I've heard about that method of 'hardwiring' to the mirror.

No. They provide zip-ties to secure it to the native wiring harness. Looks OEM(almost)

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
No. They provide zip-ties to secure it to the native wiring harness. Looks OEM(almost)
Thx, Simon! I'll order the same kit.

GTED

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Yes, would you send a couple of pix when u have a chance? I just looked at the back of the mirror. There are 7 slots. The oem wirings have 3 prongs, 2 are plugged into the far 2 end slots on the passenger side and 1 plugged into the 2nd slot from the far end of driver side, while the other 4 unused slots are blank, with no contact. I have 2 questions:
1. Pls post pix and confirm which prongs from the Blendmount go to which slot (hot and ground wires),
2. When you say insert the prongs from the kit, do you forgo the current lights on the oem mirror to accommodate the 2 prongs from the Blendmount kit, or do you jam the 2 prongs into the existing slots that have power, and as such the interior lights on bottom of mirror and the V-1 co-exist with both being powered?

Thx!

The mirror cord from Blendmount has a built in hidden fuse and two metal prong that insert into the slots on the mirror harness.
Requires no modifications. I believe the red goes in the far passenger side and the ground in the far driver side slot on OEM mirror.I can post a pic in a few days. I ordered from Blendmount because they have both the mount and cord, other comparable products out there

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Bonehead - I was talking about the Blendmount. I have had 2 of them for years. I had it for a while in the GT but I didn't like low it hung. I have had zero problems with it being mounted with the suction cups above the mirror. The cups have not come loose for 4 years! Clean the glass with alcohol, use water (not spit) on the cups & it will never come loose.

GTEd - here are the photos. Buy a telephone cord from the hardware store. Trim the insulation, solder the wires & place into the proper holes. Zip tie the cord.

Ed

PS All this info & photos are on previous threads! I can't believe Dr Frank hasn't told all of you that!

Attachments

• V1 mount & wiring for GT.jpg
    V1 mount & wiring for GT.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 114

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I mounted mine the same way. It has come off 2 times, but NBD in that it is held up by the mirror and power cord. My power cord is tucked into the headliner and routed to a tap in the SJB. I do have to remember to check it before driving the car though. Maybe I should stop using spit.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
GTED- Sims' pic is right on! The Blendmount mirror tap harness has the same braided finish as the OEM mirror harness so it looks really clean...just depends on how anal you are, I guess. It also has built in fuse.

http://www.blendmount.com/mirrortap.html

If you still want pics I can send at the end of the week.

You dont need to take anything out. Just insert the flat prongs in along into the slot. There is plenty of room. Detector turns
off ~20minutes after u close the door. All lights work. No need to manually power off or on detector

As far as the position of the mount is concerned, I like doggy or the whispering frog...;-)

Bonehead - I was talking about the Blendmount. I have had 2 of them for years. I had it for a while in the GT but I didn't like low it hung. I have had zero problems with it being mounted with the suction cups above the mirror. The cups have not come loose for 4 years! Clean the glass with alcohol, use water (not spit) on the cups & it will never come loose.

GTEd - here are the photos. Buy a telephone cord from the hardware store. Trim the insulation, solder the wires & place into the proper holes. Zip tie the cord.

Ed

PS All this info & photos are on previous threads! I can't believe Dr Frank hasn't told all of you that!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I mounted mine the same way. It has come off 2 times, but NBD in that it is held up by the mirror and power cord. My power cord is tucked into the headliner and routed to a tap in the SJB. I do have to remember to check it before driving the car though. Maybe I should stop using spit.

Maybe need more coffee, but what is NBD and SJB??

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Simon and Ed

Thank you for the confirmation and photo. I'm good to go now.

Ed

GTED- Sims' pic is right on! The Blendmount mirror tap harness has the same braided finish as the OEM mirror harness so it looks really clean...just depends on how anal you are, I guess. It also has built in fuse.

You dont need to take anything out. Just insert the flat prongs in along into the slot. There is plenty of room. Detector turns
off ~20minutes after u close the door. All lights work. No need to manually power off or on detector

As far as the position of the mount is concerned, I like doggy or the whispering frog...;-)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Maybe need more coffee, but what is NBD and SJB??
NBD=no big deal, on the SJB, you're on your own!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?6639-New-CF-SJB-Cover-!!!/page6&highlight=junction

I forgot what the S stands for, JB = junction box, behind this cover where a lot of fuses are located along with some other things.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?6639-New-CF-SJB-Cover-!!!/page6&highlight=junction

I forgot what the S stands for, JB = junction box, behind this cover where a lot of fuses are located along with some other things.

SJB = Smart Junction Box

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I was just installing my Blendmount in the GT before the truck picks her up in the morning. I noticed that little doohicker stuck to the windshield just below the headliner. Any idea what it is? It has a wire attached to it that runs up in the headliner. I thought maybe the previous owner had something installed that I didn't know about but I see your photo has one also. It's just above the light fixture glare in your picture.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I was just installing my Blendmount in the GT before the truck picks her up in the morning. I noticed that little doohicker stuck to the windshield just below the headliner. Any idea what it is? It has a wire attached to it that runs up in the headliner. I thought maybe the previous owner had something installed that I didn't know about but I see your photo has one also. It's just above the light fixture glare in your picture.
Radio antenna.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Ahhhh, ok.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Special Ed and Simon

Recd package, installed as advised by you....., done! Finally, no more long wire dangling. Me like. Thx!

Ed

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I love mine. I haven't tested to see if the V1 shuts off automatically...I'm just in the habit of shutting it off manually.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I love mine. I haven't tested to see if the V1 shuts off automatically...I'm just in the habit of shutting it off manually.

Rob, I lost the pic you sent me. I remember which holes you need to tap. Just can't remember what color tap goes into each one. Looks like Ed Sims' pic has a yellow tap?? I only have a red and black.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'll find it and text it to ya Ed.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'll find it and text it to ya Ed.