New to the community, have a few questions,

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
First want to say that this is an unbelievable community. I am so thankful for this site. I have learned so much. Its awesome and it just is great.

I am now a proud owner of an 05 white blue stripe 4 option ( number 150, still waiting to take delivery though) . I purchased the car because I am an absolute car nut and love the history etc.. of this car. I have never sat in one or driven one yet.... Call me crazy but I have only spoken to people that have. I have owned porsches primarily over the years. I was lucky enough to find # 150 which has 3k miles on it and has had all of the recalls etc.. performed and all documentation from the original owner and was maintained meticlously by this owner. So here are my questions if anyone would be so kind to answer.

Everything I have read kind of puts a lower grade on the early cars... If all of the recalls have been done and the car has no history of issues are the early cars somehow worse than the later built cars?

At 6'2" will I have trouble getting a helmet on for track day?

I live in Cleveland, are there any other owners in that area? If so, what ford dealers if any have worked on the GT's in this area?

I am bring it to the gt guys for a good once over but was curious for smaller jobs.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks for everyones help in advance

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Everything I have read kind of puts a lower grade on the early cars... If all of the recalls have been done and the car has no history of issues are the early cars somehow worse than the later built cars?

Not really. Fit and finish can be a little worse on some of the earlier cars I've seen but that's something that changes from one car to the next, it was just more consistent later. None of them are bad, and the earlier cars get the cool control arms anyway.

Depends on your torso/leg lengths. Push the seat a little forward and tilt the seat back and you should be good.

Check out stuff in the F.A.Q. Lots of answers there.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-Ford-GT-F.A.Qs

Welcome and good luck with the car.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I am slightly taller, and could not sit in the car with a helmet on until I removed the seat, brought it to a reputable shop, and had them remove some foam padding. What else? Seat harnesses are nice, not only from a safety standpoint but they aid "planting" the driver in position avoiding having to brace yourself for cornering. DOT 4 brake fluid flush. 3 track days typically wears the stock front pads to a nub, so aftermarket pads/rotors are prefered by some. There is a thread on engine cooling in the tech section and I have been at the same events with a car with the mods and his engine was "way" cooler than mine. Mild camber change; also there are threads on these specs.

For starters.

Pete S.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't have a height issue so I did not follow it too closely, but doesn't one of the forum supporters offer a seat relocation kit to drop the seat height?

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
I live in Warren. PM me if you would like.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
How tall are you? Is the seat still comfortable? Curious, besides that option, can the seat be lowered or re adjusted for additional headroom

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I live in Warren. PM me if you would like.
just did

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Call me on my cell phone for more conversation. 330 565 1029 afternoons weekends, 10 to 5 weekdays.

Aug 25, 2006
Welcome

Now as shared; 05 or 06 IMO they are the same and with this both year gals have the same subtle differences aka character.

The only significant mechanical issue worthy of chekcing are the half shaft bolts otherwise execise and enjoy her. Some of the very eary 05 gals had a rear main seal that needed tending to however that was many a year ago as such if she had this issue it has likely been tended to.

I would have no concerns

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you can afford it, the GTGuys in Flat Rock can fix your door with a Gurney bubble. Gives you lots of extra helmet room. Many of us have an Arai GP5W helmet which seems to fit a little better in the car overall.

Welcome to the group. We won't hold it against you about Cleveland.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

I'm also 6'2" and wear an open face motorcycle helmet (Harley of course) for the track. Unfortunately I feel rather wedged in even if I 'scootch' the seat forwards and angle it backwards. It's OK, but not ideal.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Knights auto, a forum sponsor (or at least they have been in the past), can lower your bottom seat if you have trouble. They did the interior work of the GTX-1's....

#6-GULFgt

Aug 22, 2006
Welcome! I just met another Clevelander at Cars and Coffee yesterday who just bought a red/white stripe FGT from Marshal Goldman last week. There are a few of us here in Cleveland, I usually am the guy in charge of leading drives, etc. (by default). Send me a PM when you get a chance to exchange contact information. Try to stop by Cars and Coffee held on the first and third Saturday of each summer month. It starts at 9:00 at 55 Quay on the lake off North Marginal Road just west of the 55th St. Exit and Shoreway. Yesterday we started a new thing by starting in Hudson (where I live) for breakfast, took a nice drive through the valley to C&C. I am here most of the summer, and spend most of the winters in Phoenix, so I hope to meet you soon.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Welcome! I just met another Clevelander at Cars and Coffee yesterday who just bought a red/white stripe FGT from Marshal Goldman last week. There are a few of us here in Cleveland, I usually am the guy in charge of leading drives, etc. (by default). Send me a PM when you get a chance to exchange contact information. Try to stop by Cars and Coffee held on the first and third Saturday of each summer month. It starts at 9:00 at 55 Quay on the lake off North Marginal Road just west of the 55th St. Exit and Shoreway. Yesterday we started a new thing by starting in Hudson (where I live) for breakfast, took a nice drive through the valley to C&C. I am here most of the summer, and spend most of the winters in Phoenix, so I hope to meet you soon.

I just saw that I posted under my son's name who was using the computer! Send the PM to timcantwell.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am about 6'5". Have Knights Autoworks - I think a sponsor here, lower your seat. They did a perfect job on mine - added about 1.5" head room. Enough so I am very comfortable when not wearing a helmet, and have my helmet just touch the roof when I wear one.

http://knightsautoworks.wordpress.com/seat-lowering-kit/

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just saw that I posted under my son's name who was using the computer! Send the PM to timcantwell.

:confused "OldTimers" setting in???? :frown

PS - I'm 6'2" also, and I had a Gurney Bubble installed in the top of the door. I can drive with the helmet no matter where the seat position is.

Last edited:

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio

Just pm you